Old 08-21-2008, 04:42 PM
"Rich Emberson"

Default Removing Icons from KDE

When KDE first starts I have a bunch of Icons on the screen.
These Icons are the result using Wine and trying to load
my motherboard vendors (ASUS P5Q Deluxe) window-based utilities.
None of the utilities would run under Wine. I un-installed

the motherboard utilities but their Icons still remain.
I can individually delete the Icons during a KDE session,
but the next time I start KDE, they are there again.
How do I get rid of them across KDE sessions?

Thanks, Richard

Old 08-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 21 August 2008 17:42:16 Rich Emberson wrote:
> When KDE first starts I have a bunch of Icons on the screen.
> These Icons are the result using Wine and trying to load
> my motherboard vendors (ASUS P5Q Deluxe) window-based utilities.
> None of the utilities would run under Wine. I un-installed
> the motherboard utilities but their Icons still remain.
> I can individually delete the Icons during a KDE session,
> but the next time I start KDE, they are there again.
> How do I get rid of them across KDE sessions?

I'm not absolutely clear what you are seeing, but you might like to navigate
to ~/Desktop and see if they are there. If they are they will keep
reappearing. Delete them there and you should be fine.

HTH

Anne

Old 08-21-2008, 06:09 PM
"Rich Emberson"

How dumb of me, thanks.

Richard

Old 08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 21 August 2008 19:09:43 Rich Emberson wrote:
> How dumb of me, thanks.

Not dumb. It's not the same behaviour as in previous versions. The Desktop
used to be a special case. In KDE4 it can be a folder, and using folderview
you can make it look and behave almost exactly as the old Desktop did, but it
is still just a folder, not a special case. This is particularly confusing
if you have icons left from a previous desktop, either because you upgraded
or because you ran 3.5 in the same distro, as in the case of Mandriva users.

It's one of many things that are no big deal once you know about it, but it
confuses at first. And before the flames start, I'm not going to argue about
why it should be so. As I said, you can make it behave like the old Desktop.

Anne