-   -   Anaconda (or libata?) device detection order (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/146505-anaconda-libata-device-detection-order.html)

Alan Cox 08-21-2008 04:36 PM

Anaconda (or libata?) device detection order

> I do not think that there is any way for anaconda, given the constraints
> of libata and the BIOS, to determine if the first drive offered is PATA.

In theory you can map BIOS drives to PCI devices using EDD 3.0 tables and
then use word 93 of the identify data to map the devices to PATA v SATA.

In practice EDD tables seem to be pretty good but various devices get
word 93 wrong - notably cruddy ATAPI devices.

Our current order is basically

- link order for compiled in drivers (if any), which is fairly undefined
but does put acpi, generic, legacy last

- module load order otherwise

For multiple devices off the same module it is then defined by the PCI
bus ordering of devices which depends on the PCI scan order.

The order modules get loaded is from userspace

Phil Meyer 08-21-2008 04:41 PM

Anaconda (or libata?) device detection order

Alan Cox wrote:

installed. I can get around this by pointing grub.conf to the UUID of
the disk to which it installed. However, I'm surprised that /dev/sda
seems to be a SATA disk during installation, and a PATA disk during boot.

Any thoughts as to why this might be? What decides the device detection
order? Is it libata or something else?

Module load order. That would imply that your different setups are

It ought not to matter to grub because grub uses the BIOS interfaces and
the first hard disk the BIOS finds is what defines that interface - at
least as far as finishing loadind grub and hunting for kernels .

Alan

It has been my experience, that different version of BIOS determine
which drive controller comes first.

I would happily accept a correction to this proposition.

I do not think that there is any way for anaconda, given the constraints
of libata and the BIOS, to determine if the first drive offered is PATA.

Please, prove me wrong!

Christopher Mocock 08-22-2008 11:12 AM

Alan Cox wrote:
>> I do not think that there is any way for anaconda, given the constraints
>> of libata and the BIOS, to determine if the first drive offered is PATA.
>
> In theory you can map BIOS drives to PCI devices using EDD 3.0 tables and
> then use word 93 of the identify data to map the devices to PATA v SATA.
>
> In practice EDD tables seem to be pretty good but various devices get
> word 93 wrong - notably cruddy ATAPI devices.
>
> Our current order is basically
>
> - link order for compiled in drivers (if any), which is fairly undefined
> but does put acpi, generic, legacy last
>
> - module load order otherwise
>
> For multiple devices off the same module it is then defined by the PCI
> bus ordering of devices which depends on the PCI scan order.
>
> The order modules get loaded is from userspace

Thanks, that's all useful info. Maybe I can use it to figure out a solution.

--
Chris