Old 08-21-2008, 02:55 PM
"Arthur Pemberton"

Default Signing for fedora-announce with fedora-list (was Infrastructure status, 2008-08-16 UTC 1530)

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Roger Grosswiler <roger@gwch.net> wrote:

>>> those are broadcasted via speaker and panels and whatever they find at a train
>>> station,
>>> they do not concentrate on one single channel, knowing exactly having people with
>>> high,
>>> middle, low and no experience at all.
>>
>> This is about the word "announcement" and whether it implies anything
>> of importance. How do you know whether an announcement is important
>> to you or not? You need to pay attention to announcements to find out.
>>
>> --
>> Let's rename fedora-announce-list to fedora-important-announce-list
>> and then have users complain that some of the announcements are not
>> considered important enough.
>>
> ok, you are somehow about right, but finding the right medium seems to be the problem
> here...do we bring the mountain to the prophet or the other way around? Even not at the
> make your update. why not letting tell the update-app, that it does not want to??

How about we just have announcements of the announcement list?

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 08-21-2008, 02:57 PM
"Arthur Pemberton"

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 4:27 AM, Marcelo M. Garcia
<marcelo.maia.garcia@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>
>> In all fairness, I don't think it is too much of an assumption that
>> people would subscribe to the fedora-announce-list for announcements.
>> The fedora-list has always been for troubleshooting.
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate#Mailing_Lists
>>
>> Aside from personally sending you an email, how would you suggest that
>> it be made more clear. Perhaps your suggestion can be implemented.
>>

> Hi.
>
> A suggestion to the people of the Fedora web site lists.
>
> If it's so "natural" for a user to sign fedora-announce, this should be
> stated in the web page, something like "It is highly recommend if you are
> signing for fedora-list". One step further is to put a option (like a check
> box) to sign for announce when signing for fedora-list.
>
> And to make users happy, a guide on how to create filters to different
> lists.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcelo

Why can't people just read http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate
and come to a decision on what lists they want to be on? What's with
all the hand holding?

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 14:17:13 -0400,
max <maximilianbianco@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes I would have to agree, its actually in the best interests of
> everyone that they do get covered. I don't like being kept in the dark
> anymore than the rest but I don't think its unreasonable to do what can
> be done i.e. use the tools available to make a determination if your

What they did seems unreasonable to me. There is no reason I can think of
that should have prevented them for explaining what was going on in general.
If someone's account was compromized and they didn't know if any of the
distributed rpms were trojaned, then that's what they should have said.
The way it has been handled is not appropiate for an open project and I expect
things to be handled much more openly the next time something similar happens.
Just because people didn't know the full extent of the problem doesn't
excuse them from letting the community know what was going on and in general
terms why.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:37 PM
James Wilkinson

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> What they did seems unreasonable to me. There is no reason I can think of
> that should have prevented them for explaining what was going on in general.

In
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-August/msg00078.html

Tom Callaway writes:

> Without being specific, know that your concerns have been heard, and are
> in the process of being addressed. Please don’t ask me for more details,
> it is not my place to give them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom Callaway, Fedora Legal

That’s the first time on that list this year that Tom has signed himself
anything other than “~spot”. Now this may be because he was writing to a
non-board member, and wanted to explain who he was. Or he may have been
giving us a clue that there are legal reasons why Fedora is keeping
quiet.

I can think of two possibilities: either law enforcement has got
involved and arrests may be forthcoming, or Fedora became aware of a
problem through something like vendor-sec (a mailing list that various
distributors use to share information about vulnerabilities), and Fedora
is legally obliged to keep information to itself until other
distributors have had a chance to prepare and test security patches.
(Depending on the vulnerability, Fedora may feel that any clarification
of which part of the system was vulnerable would amount to disclosure to
someone with enough knowledge of the programs in question.)

And I suppose I should say that I have absolutely no way of knowing
whether my guesses are accurate.

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | ... clueless he is not. He's just selective about which
aprilcottage.co.uk | clues to pay attention to.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:49 AM
Jim Cornette

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

Why can't people just read http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate
and come to a decision on what lists they want to be on? What's with
all the hand holding?

Because the selection of lists is long and the primary lists people
frequent are adequate to add an additional announcement from time to
time on important information.

There is no hand holding needed. Send it to the major lists also for
important information.

Live with it! Not everyone would subscribe to a low traffic and
generically named list called Announce.

I did sign up for the list a few minutes back. Still, throw important
information toward the higher subscribed lists.

Jim

--
Were these parsnips CORRECTLY MARINATED in TACO SAUCE?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:22 AM
Ed Greshko

Jim Cornette wrote:

I did sign up for the list a few minutes back. Still, throw important
information toward the higher subscribed lists.

Come to think of it... There is no reason to subscribe to the "announce"
list. When something of great importance happens someone not in the know
will ask "what is going on" and someone on the "announce" list will repost
it here. :-)

Old 08-22-2008, 03:19 AM
Jim Cornette

Ed Greshko wrote:

Jim Cornette wrote:

I did sign up for the list a few minutes back. Still, throw important
information toward the higher subscribed lists.

Come to think of it... There is no reason to subscribe to the
"announce" list. When something of great importance happens someone not
in the know will ask "what is going on" and someone on the "announce"
list will repost it here. :-)

Thus we go in the completed circle. That is how I originally heard about
the problem. :-) - The revolving door syndrome.

Jim

--
I've been on this lonely road so long,
Does anybody know where it goes,