Old 08-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default Fedora Art Team Monthly Picks

Hey folks,

Nicu and I had an idea that maybe the Fedora Art Team could do a monthly
art pack (kind of along the likes of the iCE [1] and ACiD [2] art
groups' monthly art packs) that would be a selection of say the top 10
best art works producing using Fedora (inkscape, gimp, etc., it just has
to be software that's available in Fedora used to produce it.)

I think this might be a good way of getting more recognition to our
artists as well as to what Fedora can do. If it's done in a monthly
format, then the works would be well-organized and easy to find, a
one-stop nice gallery of things you can do with Fedora.

One idea we had for implementing it at first would be to keep it simple,
have the artworks posted in the Fedora wiki, similar to how Fedora
Weekly News is published now. We could take submissions from an incoming
submissions wiki page where people can paste the links to their artwork
they'd like considered. And when a new release is available one of us on
Fedora Planet can blog about it to get some publicity going. Maybe later
on if it takes off we could have a Gallery install or a Flickr photo
pool to manage submissions. (and use the RSS feeds to create a planet
just for the artworks / incoming submissions)

We could have a monthly theme that the artworks should relate to or we
could keep it completely open. We could accept just visual works or we
could also accept animations, movies, 3d models, music, etc.

I think licensing implications are something interesting too. Should we
require a specific license to be considered? Source artwork?

What do you think?

~m

[1] http://www.ice.org/
[2] http://www.acid.org/