Old 08-21-2008, 12:55 PM
"Mark Haney"

Default Slightly Network Monitoring/Alerting tools

I know this has been bandied about by every n00b about once every couple
of months, but hear me out.

I'm no n00b and I'm in the awkward position to try to find a potential
replacement for our Proprietary monitoring solution (SMARTS if anyone is
familiar with it.) We run SMARTS along with Nagios and several home
grown scripts, but my boss has this itch to find something that might
potentially replace SMARTS, but give him a nice GUI to work with.

I've used Nagios and I like it. Also BB4. But what else is out there
that is new or relatively new, that does network monitoring and alerting?

We need something like Nagios, SNMP, port monitoring, interface
monitoring on our core routers, etc. WE also need something really
granular for alerting via text or email so we don't get deluged with
messages at night for things that aren't critical.

Has anyone used (or is using) something not that many not be well known
but works well that they can recommend for me to take a look at?

I've googled until I'm sick of it, and nothing I've picked out really
strikes me as adequate for our needs. So now I'm turning to the Fedora
community for ideas.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 08-21-2008, 05:31 PM
"Adam Hough"

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:
> I know this has been bandied about by every n00b about once every couple of
> months, but hear me out.
>
> I'm no n00b and I'm in the awkward position to try to find a potential
> replacement for our Proprietary monitoring solution (SMARTS if anyone is
> familiar with it.) We run SMARTS along with Nagios and several home grown
> scripts, but my boss has this itch to find something that might potentially
> replace SMARTS, but give him a nice GUI to work with.
>
> I've used Nagios and I like it. Also BB4. But what else is out there that
> is new or relatively new, that does network monitoring and alerting?
>
> We need something like Nagios, SNMP, port monitoring, interface monitoring
> on our core routers, etc. WE also need something really granular for
> alerting via text or email so we don't get deluged with messages at night
> for things that aren't critical.
>
> Has anyone used (or is using) something not that many not be well known but
> works well that they can recommend for me to take a look at?
>
> I've googled until I'm sick of it, and nothing I've picked out really
> strikes me as adequate for our needs. So now I'm turning to the Fedora
> community for ideas.
>

> --
> Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
>

> Mark Haney
> Sr. Systems Administrator
> ERC Broadband
> (828) 350-2415
>
> Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

There is almost to many to list that are out there.
* Hobbit ( a open source BB clone)
* Nagios (Nagios 3 has been released as stable now. You can get an
fedora 10 rpm of it and edit it to recompile it on RHEL5/centos5
easily as the plugins for nagios seem to be forward/backwards
compatable))
* OpenNMS (I know the Networking group at LSU uses this or did when I
worked there)
* Zabbix
* Cacti (for if you just want an something that that is a front end of
RRDtool to replace mrtg / ganglia)

I would have to recommend that is you are running a large network to
take a look at OpenNMS though I honestly have not had to deal with it
for over a year now.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Douglas Stewart

Adam Hough wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>> I know this has been bandied about by every n00b about once every couple of
>> months, but hear me out.
>>
>> I'm no n00b and I'm in the awkward position to try to find a potential
>> replacement for our Proprietary monitoring solution (SMARTS if anyone is
>> familiar with it.) We run SMARTS along with Nagios and several home grown
>> scripts, but my boss has this itch to find something that might potentially
>> replace SMARTS, but give him a nice GUI to work with.
>>
>> I've used Nagios and I like it. Also BB4. But what else is out there that
>> is new or relatively new, that does network monitoring and alerting?
>>
>> We need something like Nagios, SNMP, port monitoring, interface monitoring
>> on our core routers, etc. WE also need something really granular for
>> alerting via text or email so we don't get deluged with messages at night
>> for things that aren't critical.
>>
>> Has anyone used (or is using) something not that many not be well known but
>> works well that they can recommend for me to take a look at?
>>
>> I've googled until I'm sick of it, and nothing I've picked out really
>> strikes me as adequate for our needs. So now I'm turning to the Fedora
>> community for ideas.
>>

>> --
>> Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
>>

>> Mark Haney
>> Sr. Systems Administrator
>> ERC Broadband
>> (828) 350-2415
>>
>> Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
>>
>> --
>>

> There is almost to many to list that are out there.
> * Hobbit ( a open source BB clone)
> * Nagios (Nagios 3 has been released as stable now. You can get an
> fedora 10 rpm of it and edit it to recompile it on RHEL5/centos5
> easily as the plugins for nagios seem to be forward/backwards
> compatable))
> * OpenNMS (I know the Networking group at LSU uses this or did when I
> worked there)
> * Zabbix
> * Cacti (for if you just want an something that that is a front end of
> RRDtool to replace mrtg / ganglia)
>
> I would have to recommend that is you are running a large network to
> take a look at OpenNMS though I honestly have not had to deal with it
> for over a year now.

Also, Groundwork Open Source is a VERY nice front end for Nagios:
http://www.groundworkopensource.com/

- --
- ----------
Doug Stewart
Senior Systems Administrator/Web Applications Developer
Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Labs
dstewart@atl.lmco.com

Old 08-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Les Mikesell

Adam Hough wrote:

We need something like Nagios, SNMP, port monitoring, interface monitoring
on our core routers, etc. WE also need something really granular for
alerting via text or email so we don't get deluged with messages at night
for things that aren't critical.

I would have to recommend that is you are running a large network to
take a look at OpenNMS though I honestly have not had to deal with it
for over a year now.

I second the recommendation for OpenNMS, but for the moment, don't try
to run it on FC9 or 10 due to some java and postgresql version
dependencies. It works nicely on CentOS and can be installed via yum
from their 'unstable' repository. A neat trick for notification is to
also install the Openfire xmpp (jabber) server and create a multiuser
conference for alarms, then configure OpenNMS to send notifications
there. Then when you are interested in seeing all of the notifications,
just connect to the conference with any xmpp client. You can also
configure OpenNMS to send specific alarms to email if you want.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-21-2008, 06:27 PM
"Mark Haney"

Les Mikesell wrote:

Adam Hough wrote:

I second the recommendation for OpenNMS, but for the moment, don't try
to run it on FC9 or 10 due to some java and postgresql version
dependencies. It works nicely on CentOS and can be installed via yum
from their 'unstable' repository. A neat trick for notification is to
also install the Openfire xmpp (jabber) server and create a multiuser
conference for alarms, then configure OpenNMS to send notifications
there. Then when you are interested in seeing all of the notifications,
just connect to the conference with any xmpp client. You can also
configure OpenNMS to send specific alarms to email if you want.

We do run OpenNMS as well, and it's a good tool, but I was interested in
something /like/ nagios that does monitoring and alerting. Something
new, maybe, or something I've not heard of. The previous reply
mentioned Zabbix, which I've never heard of and one I might take a look at.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Les Mikesell

Mark Haney wrote:

I second the recommendation for OpenNMS, but for the moment, don't try
to run it on FC9 or 10 due to some java and postgresql version
dependencies. It works nicely on CentOS and can be installed via yum
from their 'unstable' repository. A neat trick for notification is
to also install the Openfire xmpp (jabber) server and create a
multiuser conference for alarms, then configure OpenNMS to send
notifications there. Then when you are interested in seeing all of
the notifications, just connect to the conference with any xmpp
client. You can also configure OpenNMS to send specific alarms to
email if you want.

We do run OpenNMS as well, and it's a good tool, but I was interested in
something /like/ nagios that does monitoring and alerting.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction or why you'd need both.
OpenNMS is like nagios in some ways, different in some.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-21-2008, 07:01 PM
"Mark Haney"

Les Mikesell wrote:

Mark Haney wrote:

We do run OpenNMS as well, and it's a good tool, but I was interested
in something /like/ nagios that does monitoring and alerting.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction or why you'd need both.
OpenNMS is like nagios in some ways, different in some.

Well, the OpenNMS version we have is older, and it's sitting on a Debian
Sarge box that I want to blow away and install Fedora on. But that's
not the reason for the question. We run nearly every monitoring tool
out there, and my boss is extremely picky. He doesn't really like any of
them completely. They all have flaws in his mind so he wants to see
what else might be available now, that either might not have been 4
years ago, or has greatly improved since then.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Les Mikesell

Mark Haney wrote:

Les Mikesell wrote:

Mark Haney wrote:

We do run OpenNMS as well, and it's a good tool, but I was interested
in something /like/ nagios that does monitoring and alerting.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction or why you'd need both.
OpenNMS is like nagios in some ways, different in some.

Well, the OpenNMS version we have is older, and it's sitting on a Debian
Sarge box that I want to blow away and install Fedora on. But that's
not the reason for the question. We run nearly every monitoring tool
out there, and my boss is extremely picky. He doesn't really like any of
them completely. They all have flaws in his mind so he wants to see
what else might be available now, that either might not have been 4
years ago, or has greatly improved since then.

Well, OpenNMS has certainly improved recently and is still being
developed rapidly. Don't draw any conclusions from seeing an older
version. Also, it is very configurable. It does the obvious stuff out
of the box but can be extended in an assortment of ways. Plus, if you
can use one of the packaged versions it is much easier to install than a
few years ago.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-22-2008, 03:01 AM
"Adam Hough"

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:

>>> I'm not sure I understand the distinction or why you'd need both. OpenNMS
>>> is like nagios in some ways, different in some.
>>>

>> Well, the OpenNMS version we have is older, and it's sitting on a Debian
>> Sarge box that I want to blow away and install Fedora on. But that's not
>> the reason for the question. We run nearly every monitoring tool out there,
>> and my boss is extremely picky. He doesn't really like any of them
>> completely. They all have flaws in his mind so he wants to see what else
>> might be available now, that either might not have been 4 years ago, or has
>> greatly improved since then.
>
> Well, OpenNMS has certainly improved recently and is still being developed
> rapidly. Don't draw any conclusions from seeing an older version. Also, it
> is very configurable. It does the obvious stuff out of the box but can be
> extended in an assortment of ways. Plus, if you can use one of the packaged
> versions it is much easier to install than a few years ago.
>
> --
> Les Mikesell
> lesmikesell@gmail.com

My only beef with OpenNMS is that it is a polling type monitoring
system which is fine for say network gear but I would rather have a
client/server setup for servers that I want to monitor. OpenNMS from
what I can tell still does not give me the flexibility that I want or
need that I get from other system such as Hobbit (BB) or Nagios.
Though I will admit I had not know all that much about snmp other then
to make sure that it is turned off on systems I install to give bots
one less attack point if they make it past my iptable rules in some
manner.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:35 AM
Les Mikesell

Adam Hough wrote:

My only beef with OpenNMS is that it is a polling type monitoring
system which is fine for say network gear but I would rather have a
client/server setup for servers that I want to monitor.

Polling is the best way to know if a service is actually working, but
OpenNMS also listens for SNMP traps, syslog messages, or xmlrpc events
if you want to send things to it.

> OpenNMS from

what I can tell still does not give me the flexibility that I want or
need that I get from other system such as Hobbit (BB) or Nagios.

Example? Stock SNMP will report most of the usual stuff (interface
bandwidth/errors, memory/disk/cpu use, etc.) and there are ways to
extend it to other values.

Though I will admit I had not know all that much about snmp other then
to make sure that it is turned off on systems I install to give bots
one less attack point if they make it past my iptable rules in some
manner.

Don't turn read access off, just use a hard-to-guess community string.
Usually you would block inbound access at your internet firewalls
anyway.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com