Old 08-21-2008, 01:41 AM

Default can't get X to work after installing F9

See Thread at: http://www.techienuggets.com/Detail?tx=39620 Posted on behalf of a User

I too have seen this problem with a Matrox 400/450 MGA driver video card and a ViewSonic P810 CRT system. I could never run the LiveCD version of FC9, but I could run the CD installer (in graphics mode). I have rewritten the /etc/X11/xorg.conf few hundred times without much success.

I have hand crafter a few ModeLines and added Modes to the Screen Section that give me bad 1024x768 resolution and lots of 800x600 and no dual-headed support.

Please please, please! if anyone can find a solution to this (I think is a mga driver) issue, post it here.

Thanks.

I upgraded my aging F7 box to F9 yesterday by reinstalling from
scratch. After I finished installing selected packages and rebooted,
I discovered that X no longer worked. The init process gets to the
point where it tries to switch into the graphical boot screen
whereupon my monitor gets wedged. It says "Out of range" -- one of
those messages that come directly from the monitor itself.

I can reboot and login in as root in single-user mode but I can't get
X to work for the life of me. I don't think the hardware decided to
die on me. I can boot off of an Knoppix live CD and it works. (It
may use the "svga" driver instead of "mga", but at least it works.)

Gory details
============

The config file /etc/X11/xorg.conf generated by pyxf86config is short
and sweet:

| Section "ServerLayout"
| Identifier "Default Layout"
| Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
| InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
| EndSection
|
| Section "InputDevice"
| # keyboard added by rhpxl
| Identifier "Keyboard0"
| Driver "kbd"
| Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
| Option "XkbLayout" "us"
| EndSection
|
| Section "Device"
| Identifier "Videocard0"
| Driver "mga"
| EndSection
|
| Section "Screen"
| Identifier "Screen0"
| Device "Videocard0"
| DefaultDepth 24
| SubSection "Display"
| Viewport 0 0
| Depth 24
| EndSubSection
| EndSection

The log files /var/log/anaconda.xlog and /var/log/Xorg.0.log show that
correct settings seem to have been probed via DDC:

Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400/G450
Image Size: 376 x 301 mm
(the manufacturer's spec sheet says 14.8"x11.9")
Ranges: V min: 50 V max: 75 Hz, H min: 30 H max: 80 kHz
Monitor name: Q190mb

I tried regenerating xorg.conf in a couple of ways:

1. http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ConfigurationHelp

This page suggests using xorgcfg, the Xerver itself, or xorgconfig. Since
neiher xorgcfg nor xorgconfig are present in F9, I tried
$ Xorg -configure

It generated /xorg.conf.new that was identical to the above (I think).

| $ tail Xorg.setup.log
| Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
| to make sure that you have the latest version.
| Module Loader present
| Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
| (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
| (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
| (++) Log file: "/dev/null", Time: Sun Jun 8 21:44:33 2008
| (++) Using config file: "/tmp/tmpVaGupExorg.config"
| expected keysym, got XF86Info: line 914 of inet
| expected keysym, got XF86Info: line 914 of inet

2. system-config-display

This manages to start up X but one that is totally unusable. The only
thing this displays is an oversized mouse cursor.

I also tried
$ system-config-display --reconfig
without much luck. It generates xorg.conf identical to the above.

Is any of the following cause for concern?

| $ grep -iEC1 '(fail|error|(EE))' anaconda.xlog Xorg.0.log
| anaconda.xlogWW) Failed to open protocol names file
/usr/lib64/xorg/protocol.txt
| anaconda.xlog-X.Org X Server 1.4.99.901 (1.5.0 RC 1)
| --
| anaconda.xlog- (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
| anaconda.xlog: (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
| anaconda.xlog-(++) Log file: "/tmp/X.log", Time: Mon Jun 9 00:13:42 2008
| --
| anaconda.xlog-(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
| anaconda.xlogWW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such
file or directory)
| anaconda.xlog-(II) No APM support in BIOS or kernel
| --
| anaconda.xlog-drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
| anaconda.xlog:drmOpenDevice: Open failed
| anaconda.xlog-drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
| --
| anaconda.xlog-drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
| anaconda.xlog:drmOpenDevice: Open failed
| anaconda.xlog:[drm] failed to load kernel module "mga"
| anaconda.xlogEE) [drm] drmOpen failed.
| anaconda.xlogEE) MGA(0): [drm] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
| anaconda.xlog-(II) MGA(0): Using 4642 lines for offscreen memory.
| --
| Xorg.0.log- (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
| Xorg.0.log: (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
| Xorg.0.log-(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Jun 8
21:52:47 2008
| --
| Xorg.0.log- Using the default mouse configuration.
| Xorg.0.logWW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such
file or directory)
| Xorg.0.log-(II) No APM support in BIOS or kernel
| --
| Xorg.0.log-drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
| Xorg.0.log:drmOpenDevice: Open failed
| Xorg.0.log-drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
| --
| Xorg.0.log-drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
| Xorg.0.log:drmOpenDevice: Open failed
| Xorg.0.log-drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0

I've attached the following log files:

| $ du -sch *
| 40K anaconda.xlog
| 44K Xorg.0.log
| 8.0K Xorg.setup.log
| 92K total

The monitor specs (such as they are) can be found here:

http://www.viewsonic.com/support/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/optiquest/q190mb/index.htm
http://www.viewsonic.com/pdf/us_eng/products/LR_Q190mb.pdf
http://www.viewsonic.com/pdf/userguides/q190mb-1_ug_eng.pdf

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
--
fedora-noway@spam.com

Old 08-21-2008, 03:35 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 20:41 -0500, samk@twinix.com wrote:
> I upgraded my aging F7 box to F9 yesterday by reinstalling from
> scratch. After I finished installing selected packages and rebooted,
> I discovered that X no longer worked.

Before anything else, I'd try doing a "yum update" to make sure you've
got the latest versions of everything installed, particularly related to
X.

Then, "system-config-display --reconfig" or simply erase the xorg.conf
file and try running without one (for automatic config, each boot).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:21 AM
John Austin

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 13:05 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 20:41 -0500, samk@twinix.com wrote:
> > I upgraded my aging F7 box to F9 yesterday by reinstalling from
> > scratch. After I finished installing selected packages and rebooted,
> > I discovered that X no longer worked.
>
> Before anything else, I'd try doing a "yum update" to make sure you've
> got the latest versions of everything installed, particularly related to
> X.
>
> Then, "system-config-display --reconfig" or simply erase the xorg.conf
> file and try running without one (for automatic config, each boot).
>
> --
> [tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686
>
> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
> read messages from the public lists.

I had the same problem with a Matrox G550
With the latest X (F9 x64) the max res was 800x600 and to get
that back after playing with things was difficult
Searched the web and reference to the problem several
months ago with comment such as "unlikely to be fixed soon"

Went and bought a cheap nvidia card !!
Noisier machine but it works !!

John