Old 08-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Patrick Kaiser

Default ATI driver on F9

Hi,

since I installed F9 on my new desktop with an ATI Radeon 3600, I was
still waiting for the ATI driver update, because of "problems" with the
newest Xorg version.
Finaly, today there was a release on ATI site
(http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html)

Just tried it out, but there is also the same error. Does anyone knows
more, when there will be a compatible driver from ATI for the newest
Xorg version?
I do not really want to downgrade my Xorg version.

Greets, Patrick

--

Patrick Kaiser

EMail: patrick.kaiser@argonius.de
RIPE: PK3264-RIPE

Old 08-21-2008, 04:38 AM
"Steve Repo"

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:59 AM, Patrick Kaiser <patrick@argonius.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since I installed F9 on my new desktop with an ATI Radeon 3600, I was
> still waiting for the ATI driver update, because of "problems" with the
> newest Xorg version.
> Finaly, today there was a release on ATI site
> (http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html)
>
> Just tried it out, but there is also the same error. Does anyone knows
> more, when there will be a compatible driver from ATI for the newest
> Xorg version?
> I do not really want to downgrade my Xorg version.

ATI binary releases are useless for 90% of the users unless you hack
youe environment. And each months release is one stupidity over
another. The last 4/5 months release didn't fix anything but added
more bugs.

Either the kernel is unsupported of the Xorg. Currently 2.6.26 is
supported and Xorg isn't. Hopefully when Xorg is released next month
it will be supported but not 2.6.27.

And so it goes...

I'm more interested in OSS drivers than the binary crap.

Steve

Old 08-21-2008, 06:21 AM
"Joonas Sarajärvi"

2008/8/21 Steve Repo <scmuser@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:59 AM, Patrick Kaiser <patrick@argonius.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> since I installed F9 on my new desktop with an ATI Radeon 3600, I was
>> still waiting for the ATI driver update, because of "problems" with the
>> newest Xorg version.
>> Finaly, today there was a release on ATI site
>> (http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html)
>>
>> Just tried it out, but there is also the same error. Does anyone knows
>> more, when there will be a compatible driver from ATI for the newest
>> Xorg version?
>> I do not really want to downgrade my Xorg version.
>>

> ATI binary releases are useless for 90% of the users unless you hack
> youe environment. And each months release is one stupidity over
> another. The last 4/5 months release didn't fix anything but added
> more bugs.

On a distro more conservative with X and kernel versions, the AMD/Ati
official driver mostly works fine. It did work fine for me even in
Fedora, when it last happened to support a version of Fedora I was
using. However, I am currently quite frustrated at the lack of
support, even after many months since the Fedora 9 release.

> Either the kernel is unsupported of the Xorg. Currently 2.6.26 is
> supported and Xorg isn't. Hopefully when Xorg is released next month
> it will be supported but not 2.6.27.

Will it really get released that soon? :-)

> And so it goes...
>
> I'm more interested in OSS drivers than the binary crap.

Me too, since AMD's slow response to new software versions is clearly
holding me back. Even if AMD's proprietary driver was technically
perfect, I'd prefer a free driver. Now that the proprietary driver has
been close to useless to me for months, I am even more interested in a
working, free alternative.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj@gmail.com