Old 08-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Marcel Janssen

Default xmodmap map key to right mouse click.

hi,

I'm trying to get a key mapped as right mouse button. I'm using a macbook
which obviously lacks this button. I'd like to use the right apple key as
right mouse button and I've read dozens of pages stating that I can use
xmodmap in a way like this :

xmodmap -e "keycode 116 = Pointer_Button3"

After using xev, this key shows "Pointer_Button3" but it doesn't trigger a
right mouse button event.

Anyone having an idea how to make it work ?

Regards,
Marcel

Old 08-20-2008, 11:38 PM

Old 08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Marcel Janssen

On Thursday 21 August 2008 01:38:16 g wrote:
> have a look at these:
>
> /usr/share/X11/xkb/compat/mousekeys

Looks like Pointer_Button3 is correct.

> then give a look at;
>
> control center > regional & accessibility > keyboard shortcuts >
> global shortcuts > miscellaneous > mouse emulation
>
> control center > peripherals > mouse > mouse navigation

Well.....I've updated to KDE 4.1 (from the testing repo) because KDE4.0 was
simply unusable for me.
I found "mouse emulation" and I guess this is only switched mouse emulation
on/off. After that I went to configure the mouse and set mouse navigation on.
There's noting mentioning mouse buttons though.

So. I still have no right mouse button functionality in KDE.

Yesterday I managed to get it working in gnome so that's usable for now.

Thanks for pointing in the right direction.

regards,
Marcel

Old 08-21-2008, 09:34 PM

Marcel Janssen wrote:
> On Thursday 21 August 2008 01:38:16 g wrote:
>> have a look at these:
>>
>> /usr/share/X11/xkb/compat/mousekeys

from above;

interpret KP_F2 {
action = SetPtrDflt(affect=defaultButton,button=1);
};
interpret KP_Divide {
action = SetPtrDflt(affect=defaultButton,button=1);
};
interpret KP_F3 {
action = SetPtrDflt(affect=defaultButton,button=2);
};
interpret KP_Multiply {
action = SetPtrDflt(affect=defaultButton,button=2);
};
interpret KP_F4 {
action = SetPtrDflt(affect=defaultButton,button=3);
};
interpret KP_Subtract {
action = SetPtrDflt(affect=defaultButton,button=3);
};
interpret KP_Separator {
action = PointerButton(button=default,count=2);
};
interpret KP_Add {
action = PointerButton(button=default,count=2);
};

> Well.....I've updated to KDE 4.1 (from the testing repo) because KDE4.0 was
> simply unusable for me.

you and a lot of others.

> I found "mouse emulation" and I guess this is only switched mouse emulation
> on/off. After that I went to configure the mouse and set mouse navigation on.
> There's noting mentioning mouse buttons though.

emulation on/off was to allow using keypad as keypad or mouse.

> So. I still have no right mouse button functionality in KDE.

even thru keypad? strange. but as you said, kde4.0.

> Yesterday I managed to get it working in gnome so that's usable for now.

maybe you can dig thru gnome's configs to see what they do and apply it
for kde4.1.

> Thanks for pointing in the right direction.

glad to help. did not how things would work for mac.

btw, did you by chance google-linux with mac and button3 or right button?

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&output=linux&restrict=linux

in 'all these words' "mouse buttons" AND "mac" [note " " and AND]

this jumped out on 1st page of 47,000 +;

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/007may05/features/mac-mini/

++++
While the Mac mini doesn't ship with a mouse, if you have a one-button Apple
mouse, you will surely miss the middle-click and the right-click buttons. These
can, however, all be emulated from the keyboard via the sysctl interface. As
root, edit the /etc/sysctl.conf file and add the following:

dev.mac_hid.mouse_button_emulation = 1
dev.mac_hid.mouse_button2_keycode = 87
dev.mac_hid.mouse_button3_keycode = 88

The above will allow the F11 and the F12 keys on the keyboard to provide the
middle and right click mouse buttons. If however, you prefer to use Fn+Alt or
Fn+Apple, just having the dev.mac_hid.mouse_button_emulation = 1 is sufficient.
On your next reboot, the buttons will be available; however, running sysctl -p
will also enable them immediately.
++++

chaing 'all these words' to "fedora" AND "mouse buttons" AND "macbook"

dropped to 85, which i will let you search. ;o)

hth.

- --
tc,hago.

.

learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/

Old 08-22-2008, 04:39 AM
Marcel Janssen

On Thursday 21 August 2008 23:34:33 g wrote:
> btw, did you by chance google-linux with mac and button3 or right button?

I searched quite a bit but probably looking for the wrong keywords (although
they seem quite obvious :-) ).

> http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&output=linux&restrict=linux
>
> in 'all these words' "mouse buttons" AND "mac" [note " " and AND]
>
> this jumped out on 1st page of 47,000 +;
>
> http://www.redhat.com/magazine/007may05/features/mac-mini/

I didn't find that one. Thanks !

I will give that a try.

> chaing 'all these words' to "fedora" AND "mouse buttons" AND "macbook"
>
> dropped to 85, which i will let you search. ;o)

Thanks,
Marcel

Old 08-22-2008, 05:37 AM