Old 12-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Greg Sieranski

Default Users and Groups

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

If you click on System -> Administration -> Users and Groups you
give your root password and up comes a nearly blank panel. It lists
just one User and you wonder what it is good for. At least I did. I
tried for Help and none appeared.

that's right, karl ... and those screamingly obvious "Add User" and
"Add Group" icons at the top of the dialog panel -- gosh, they're
tricky little buggers, aren't they? one can only *guess* what
possible value *they* have.

Then I clicked on Edit and then Preferences. There I found all
the blocks with a check mark before them. So I erased all the check
marks and rebooted the thing. Now it lists ALL the Users and Groups.
You can click on one and a panel comes up and let's you join any
group you want to. It is useful.

Why does it arrive on a new load with all those things checked?
Where is help on F8? I think it is a bug.

right again, karl -- *your* lack of understanding clearly implies a
monumental design flaw in fedora. i recommend bugzilla, priority
"high", severity "critical". *that'll* teach those software
developers what's what.

good luck with that ... let us know how it works out.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Karl,
here is a link to the fedora wiki "User Accounts" page. I think it will
help explain how the Users and Groups gui works.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/AdministrationGuide/UserAccounts

Greg Sieranski

Old 12-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Karl Larsen

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

[...]

Why are You RDay such an asshole? Is it your Canadian upbringing?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-07-2007, 03:46 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Why are You RDay such an asshole? Is it your Canadian upbringing?
>
> Karl

because, karl, it is simply breathtaking how, after months on this
forum, you appear to have learned absolutely *nothing* in the way of
the proper care and feeding of either your operating system or this
mailing list and how to use it.

by way of analogy, i've owned a number of cats over the years, and
it's surprising how, even if they're only a few months old, they can,
literally within *hours*, figure out where the food bowls are, where
the litter box is, where the cat door is, and where the warmest places
are to curl up for a nap. and *they're* what you might call lower
forms of life, if you know what i mean.

*you*, on the other hand, simply have not evolved in any way. even
after months of people patiently (and sometimes impatiently) giving
you advice, your typical behaviour hasn't altered -- karl does
something with his OS, karl is surprised by its behaviour, karl
immediately concludes that it is a "bug" that somebody should fix.
is that it, karl? do i have that about right?

and when you *do* decide -- against all the better advice given here
-- to file something in bugzilla, you pick a *random* category to file
it under, of all things. and expect everyone else to be incredibly
accommodating and try to parse what in god's name you're talking
about.

what's most hysterical, though, karl, is the sheer amount of
misinformation you've dumped on this list. it's almost like we need a
full-time group to run around after you, correcting your postings in
case anyone decides to take them seriously.

seriously, karl, you used to be at least moderately amusing. but
it's not really all that funny anymore, given the fact that you're
clearly untrainable. think of my cats, karl. even *they* can figure
out a pattern, given enough time. but you? "users and groups"
doesn't work the way you expect, therefore, there's a "bug" somewhere.

so file it in bugzilla, karl. if you seriously think all these
curiosities and oddities you run across are genuine bugs, then treat
them that way and enter them into bugzilla, and be done with it. and
when the bugzilla folks start to lose patience with you, well, you can
certainly give *them* a piece of your mind.

you are simply not teachable, karl. people have tried, and people
have failed. all we can hope for, at this point, is that we can try
to keep you from inflicting damage on others on this list when they
decide to take you seriously.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Michael A Peters

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 11:46 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
> > Why are You RDay such an asshole? Is it your Canadian upbringing?
> >
> > Karl
>
> because, karl, it is simply breathtaking how, after months on this
> forum, you appear to have learned absolutely *nothing* in the way of
> the proper care and feeding of either your operating system or this
> mailing list and how to use itt

Don't be a jerk.
You sound like you need to get laid, and it perpetuates the myth that
geeks don't get laid.

If it really is so breathtaking that he learns something, ignore him.
Certainly someone of your skill and cunning can whip up a simple
procmail filter to send his posts to the trash.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:08 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Michael A Peters wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 11:46 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
> > > Why are You RDay such an asshole? Is it your Canadian upbringing?
> > >
> > > Karl
> >
> > because, karl, it is simply breathtaking how, after months on this
> > forum, you appear to have learned absolutely *nothing* in the way of
> > the proper care and feeding of either your operating system or this
> > mailing list and how to use itt
>
> Don't be a jerk. You sound like you need to get laid, ...

dude, i don't even *know* you. flowers and a date might be in order
first, don't you think?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Jeff Krebs

* Robert P. J. Day (rpjday@crashcourse.ca) wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
> > Why are You RDay such an asshole? Is it your Canadian upbringing?
> >
> > Karl
>
> because, karl, it is simply breathtaking how, after months on this
> forum, you appear to have learned absolutely *nothing* in the way of
> the proper care and feeding of either your operating system or this
> mailing list and how to use it.
>
> by way of analogy, i've owned a number of cats over the years, and
> it's surprising how, even if they're only a few months old, they can,
> literally within *hours*, figure out where the food bowls are, where
> the litter box is, where the cat door is, and where the warmest places
> are to curl up for a nap. and *they're* what you might call lower
> forms of life, if you know what i mean.
>
> *you*, on the other hand, simply have not evolved in any way. even
> after months of people patiently (and sometimes impatiently) giving
> you advice, your typical behaviour hasn't altered -- karl does
> something with his OS, karl is surprised by its behaviour, karl
> immediately concludes that it is a "bug" that somebody should fix.
> is that it, karl? do i have that about right?
>
> and when you *do* decide -- against all the better advice given here
> -- to file something in bugzilla, you pick a *random* category to file
> it under, of all things. and expect everyone else to be incredibly
> accommodating and try to parse what in god's name you're talking
> about.
>
> what's most hysterical, though, karl, is the sheer amount of
> misinformation you've dumped on this list. it's almost like we need a
> full-time group to run around after you, correcting your postings in
> case anyone decides to take them seriously.
>
> seriously, karl, you used to be at least moderately amusing. but
> it's not really all that funny anymore, given the fact that you're
> clearly untrainable. think of my cats, karl. even *they* can figure
> out a pattern, given enough time. but you? "users and groups"
> doesn't work the way you expect, therefore, there's a "bug" somewhere.
>
> so file it in bugzilla, karl. if you seriously think all these
> curiosities and oddities you run across are genuine bugs, then treat
> them that way and enter them into bugzilla, and be done with it. and
> when the bugzilla folks start to lose patience with you, well, you can
> certainly give *them* a piece of your mind.
>
> you are simply not teachable, karl. people have tried, and people
> have failed. all we can hope for, at this point, is that we can try
> to keep you from inflicting damage on others on this list when they
> decide to take you seriously.
>
> rday

Does this really need to be on this list?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate#head-d2b45e2e5ffe035c8d5b5ef175f634836eafefca

directs folks here, and as a new or even moderately experienced
users should expect to be treated with respect and dignity.

Open attacks, profanity, and belittlement are uncalled for in any
situation on this list. It's wrong and it's unfair.

You have the option to ignore, or better yet, use procmail and the
"From:" header to directly divert "problem" emails to /dev/null.

I'm not sure what's worse... emails from people not understanding things
well, or the 6 responses (including my reply) to the original post.
Replys should be short and constructive; anything else wastes room in
the users' Inbox.

Jeff Krebs

Old 12-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:49:30 -0600
Jeff Krebs <jkrebs@tconl.com> wrote:

> You have the option to ignore, or better yet, use procmail and the
> "From:" header to directly divert "problem" emails to /dev/null.

Unfortunately, that does nothing to solve the problem of mis-information being
added to the list archives.

I search the archives on a more-than-occasional basis to find out how to do
this thing and that thing, and I'm sure I'm not alone in doing that.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:24 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Jeff Krebs wrote:

> Does this really need to be on this list?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate#head-d2b45e2e5ffe035c8d5b5ef175f634836eafefca
>
> directs folks here, and as a new or even moderately experienced
> users should expect to be treated with respect and dignity.

Well, that didn't work the first 5 or 6 time Karl was directed
there, so what makes you think it will work this time?

> Open attacks, profanity, and belittlement are uncalled for in any
> situation on this list. It's wrong and it's unfair.

It may be unfair, but so is deliberately ignoring the conventions of
the list. Or do you feel that anyone on the list should be able to
ignore the accepted rules of behavior of the list? It is posts like
your that encourage Karl to ignore the accepted rules of conduct.

> You have the option to ignore, or better yet, use procmail and the
> "From:" header to directly divert "problem" emails to /dev/null.

This does nothing to alleviate the problem of incorrect information
being given to new users, and added to the list archives. But if you
are willing to accept the responsibility of checking Karl's posts,
and adding warnings or corrections, then the rest of us can safely
ignore all his posts. Do you accept the job?

> I'm not sure what's worse... emails from people not understanding things
> well, or the 6 responses (including my reply) to the original post.
> Replys should be short and constructive; anything else wastes room in
> the users' Inbox.

That is easy - post like your that encourage Karl to continue his
anti-social behavior.

Mikkel

Old 12-07-2007, 05:26 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:49:30 -0600
> Jeff Krebs <jkrebs@tconl.com> wrote:
>
> > You have the option to ignore, or better yet, use procmail and the
> > "From:" header to directly divert "problem" emails to /dev/null.
>
> Unfortunately, that does nothing to solve the problem of
> mis-information being added to the list archives.
>
> I search the archives on a more-than-occasional basis to find out
> how to do this thing and that thing, and I'm sure I'm not alone in
> doing that.

and at the risk of dragging this out interminably, what really gripes
my wagger regarding karl is his proclivity for describing every
unexpected development with fedora as a "bug." something doesn't
quite work the way he expects? it's a bug. and i find that
increasingly irritating because i've used fedora for a number of
years, all the way back to the early red hat days and, for its
inevitable irritations, it's gotten nothing but better over the years.

so it's more than a little grating to have someone who clearly doesn't
know what he's doing constantly spewing all over the Intertubes how
broken and bug-ridden fedora is, simply because he doesn't know what
he's doing.

quite simply, if fedora was a commercial product and karl was a
client, he would be the textbook example of the customer who you
simply cut loose because he's more trouble than he's worth. he's the
client who would buy your product, not bother to read the owner's
manual, eventually cause a disaster, then tell everyone who will
listen about how your product sucks.

in short, i happen to *like* fedora, and i'm tired of hearing someone
else constantly pissing and moaning about how confusing or "buggy" it
is because they're too lazy to spend the time learning how it works.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Karl Larsen

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

[...]

My you are also insulting and long winded RDay. Why do you bother?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User