Old 08-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Seann Clark

Default Fedora and Alpha

All,

I am wondering, what the last revision of Fedora (if any) supported
a DEC Alpha based system? I have an old Alpha with NT4 on it (eew) and
am looking at something to put on this for it to be a good workstation,
and to have a few fun choices. I am looking at Alphalinux as one but I
remember quiet a few distro's used to support this platform. I am also
wondering if anyone out there is doing this and using an alpha still.

Regards,
Seann

Old 08-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Itamar - IspBrasil

I belive debian runs on alpha

http://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/

Old 08-20-2008, 04:43 PM
John Aldrich

On Wednesday 20 August 2008, Seann Clark wrote:
> All,
>
> I am wondering, what the last revision of Fedora (if any) supported
> a DEC Alpha based system? I have an old Alpha with NT4 on it (eew) and
> am looking at something to put on this for it to be a good workstation,
> and to have a few fun choices. I am looking at Alphalinux as one but I
> remember quiet a few distro's used to support this platform. I am also
> wondering if anyone out there is doing this and using an alpha still.

I don't know if Fedora has *ever* supported Alpha. Back when it was RedHat, I
think they stopped supporting it just before the community releases were
turned over to the Fedora Project, back several years ago.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Seann Clark wrote:

All,

I am wondering, what the last revision of Fedora (if any) supported a
DEC Alpha based system? I have an old Alpha with NT4 on it (eew) and am
looking at something to put on this for it to be a good workstation, and
to have a few fun choices. I am looking at Alphalinux as one but I
remember quiet a few distro's used to support this platform. I am also
wondering if anyone out there is doing this and using an alpha still.

http://alphacore.info/

There is a effort to integrate these architectures

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures

Rahul

Old 08-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Christian Iseli

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:28:50 -0500, Seann Clark wrote:
> I am wondering, what the last revision of Fedora (if any) supported
> a DEC Alpha based system?

Have a look here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ArchTeam

Cheers,
Christian

Old 08-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Joe Klemmer

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Seann Clark wrote:

I am wondering, what the last revision of Fedora (if any) supported a
DEC Alpha based system? I have an old Alpha with NT4 on it (eew) and am
looking at something to put on this for it to be a good workstation, and
to have a few fun choices. I am looking at Alphalinux as one but I
remember quiet a few distro's used to support this platform. I am also
wondering if anyone out there is doing this and using an alpha still.

To be honest I'd probably go with NetBSD (or FreeBSD if you like)
for this. I have an UltraSPARC 5 that's to underpowered for current
Solaris versions and I've been thinking of doing that with it.

Just an option to keep in mind.

Joe

--
Interesting Boring Blog - http://x-nc.blogspot.com
A combination of insight and inanity for your reading pleasure

Old 08-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Angus MacGyver

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 15:56 -0400, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Seann Clark wrote:
>
> > I am wondering, what the last revision of Fedora (if any) supported a
> > DEC Alpha based system? I have an old Alpha with NT4 on it (eew) and am
> > looking at something to put on this for it to be a good workstation, and
> > to have a few fun choices. I am looking at Alphalinux as one but I
> > remember quiet a few distro's used to support this platform. I am also
> > wondering if anyone out there is doing this and using an alpha still.
>
> To be honest I'd probably go with NetBSD (or FreeBSD if you like)
> for this. I have an UltraSPARC 5 that's to underpowered for current
> Solaris versions and I've been thinking of doing that with it.
>
> Just an option to keep in mind.

NetBSD, OpenBSD - Gentoo or Debian..

FreeBSD has retired the Alpha port for version 7.0+ - which is why I
ended up retiring my Alphas :-(

Regards

AM