Old 08-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Beartooth

Default F9 EeePC packagekit problem

I have my little 7" EeePC running on house current. Yesterday
evening I ran gnome-packagekit (from the launcher, which I keep on a
panel), trying to find things I can remove. Having picked a few and hit
Apply, I left it installing things.

This morning, ten or eleven hours later, it showed itself stil
installing something; and there was motion indicating as much -- the
monitor wasn't simply frozen. The thing it claimed to be installing (with
the bar graph a little past half) had some long complex name beginning
with x -- I think xaw. I let it go another hour or two; nothing seemed to
happen.

I forced it to quit. From a root tab on gnome-terminal, I told it
"yum clean all," which I have always found very fast. This time, instead,
it reported "Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit," and put the cursor on
the next line, without a prompt -- and there it sits.

I want to run yum update before tackling the fight with
packagekit again. (My display of that is atrocious; see the thread I
started yesterday called "F9 EeePC add/remove trouble")

Should I just abort the cleanup with Ctrl-C, and proceed directly
to yum update? Would it be useful to try rpm --rebuilddb first??

Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3