Old 12-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Users and Groups

If you click on System -> Administration -> Users and Groups you
give your root password and up comes a nearly blank panel. It lists just
one User and you wonder what it is good for. At least I did. I tried for
Help and none appeared.

Then I clicked on Edit and then Preferences. There I found all the
blocks with a check mark before them. So I erased all the check marks
and rebooted the thing. Now it lists ALL the Users and Groups. You can
click on one and a panel comes up and let's you join any group you want
to. It is useful.

Why does it arrive on a new load with all those things checked?
Where is help on F8? I think it is a bug.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-07-2007, 02:38 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

> If you click on System -> Administration -> Users and Groups you
> give your root password and up comes a nearly blank panel. It lists
> just one User and you wonder what it is good for. At least I did. I
> tried for Help and none appeared.

that's right, karl ... and those screamingly obvious "Add User" and
"Add Group" icons at the top of the dialog panel -- gosh, they're
tricky little buggers, aren't they? one can only *guess* what
possible value *they* have.

> Then I clicked on Edit and then Preferences. There I found all
> the blocks with a check mark before them. So I erased all the check
> marks and rebooted the thing. Now it lists ALL the Users and Groups.
> You can click on one and a panel comes up and let's you join any
> group you want to. It is useful.
>
> Why does it arrive on a new load with all those things checked?
> Where is help on F8? I think it is a bug.

right again, karl -- *your* lack of understanding clearly implies a
monumental design flaw in fedora. i recommend bugzilla, priority
"high", severity "critical". *that'll* teach those software
developers what's what.

good luck with that ... let us know how it works out.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca