-   -   sudo GUI frontend (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/145804-sudo-gui-frontend.html)

Gilboa Davara 08-20-2008 12:22 PM

sudo GUI frontend

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 12:21 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 August 2008 12:05:34 Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Can anyone please point me to a good sudo GUI front-end? (Password
> > dialog box).
> > While I'm using KDE 4.1, I don't mind using a gtk box.
> >
> > I tried using kdesu with or w/o the kdesurc - but it doesn't seem to
> > work.
> >
> '/bin/su -' does work, though in some cases you will need to add $u (or is
> it %U?). I like a root konsole profile, so I used it there, with a different
> display colour for clarity :-)

I might have mis-represented my request:
I'm using sudo to give users selective rights over certain services.
However, sudo requires a user password, once in while (good thing) - and
I rather use a GUI front-end for that.

- Gilboa

Matthew Miller 08-20-2008 01:45 PM

sudo GUI frontend

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 03:22:20PM +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> I might have mis-represented my request:
> I'm using sudo to give users selective rights over certain services.
> However, sudo requires a user password, once in while (good thing) - and
> I rather use a GUI front-end for that.

Which services? You may be able to use consolehelper (or even PolicyKit, for
newer things).

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Gilboa Davara 08-20-2008 02:30 PM

sudo GUI frontend

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 09:45 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 03:22:20PM +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > I might have mis-represented my request:
> > I'm using sudo to give users selective rights over certain services.
> > However, sudo requires a user password, once in while (good thing) - and
> > I rather use a GUI front-end for that.
>
> Which services? You may be able to use consolehelper (or even PolicyKit, for
> newer things).

E.g. boinc-client (among others)

- Gilboa

David 08-20-2008 11:13 PM

sudo GUI frontend

Joel Rees 08-21-2008 11:38 PM

sudo GUI frontend

This touches on one of my gripes about Fedora (and RHE) -- the GUI
authentication stuff is oriented towards su instead of sudo.