Old 08-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Gilboa Davara

Default Enabling / Disabling KDE 4.1 effects from command line.

Hello all,

Back in KDE 3.5 I could enable/disable composition effects by
starting/stopping the kompose process.

How can I achieve the same under KDE 4.1?

- Gilboa

Old 08-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Rex Dieter

Gilboa Davara wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Back in KDE 3.5 I could enable/disable composition effects by
> starting/stopping the kompose process.
>
> How can I achieve the same under KDE 4.1?

A few of the items controlled similarly can be achieved by browsing the
output of:

qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin

-- Rex

Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Gilboa Davara

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 08:26 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Back in KDE 3.5 I could enable/disable composition effects by
> > starting/stopping the kompose process.
> >
> > How can I achieve the same under KDE 4.1?
>
> A few of the items controlled similarly can be achieved by browsing the
> output of:
>
> qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin
>
> -- Rex

Thanks!

- Gilboa

Old 08-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Gilboa Davara

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 08:26 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Back in KDE 3.5 I could enable/disable composition effects by
> > starting/stopping the kompose process.
> >
> > How can I achieve the same under KDE 4.1?
>
> A few of the items controlled similarly can be achieved by browsing the
> output of:
>
> qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin
>
> -- Rex

Hello Rex,

Maybe you can help me.

$ qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin org.kde.KWin.nextDesktop

... Works. But

$ qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin org.kde.KWin.toggleEffect
Error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod
No such method 'toggleEffect' in interface 'org.kde.KWin' at object path
'/KWin' (signature ')

Both appear in the qdbus output and
in /usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces/org.kde.KWin.xml

And idea what am I missing? (Couldn't find anything @google)

- Gilboa

Old 08-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Rex Dieter

Gilboa Davara wrote:

> $ qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin org.kde.KWin.toggleEffect
> Error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod
> No such method 'toggleEffect' in interface 'org.kde.KWin' at object path
> '/KWin' (signature ')

method void org.kde.KWin.toggleEffect(QString name)

you need to give it the name of an effect to toggle. (presumably, one from the output of the listOfEffects method).

-- Rex