Old 08-20-2008, 09:00 AM
"Dan Track"

Default Which ATI graphics card shall I choose for fedora/rhel

Hi

I'm looking for an ATI card for my work pc, doesn't do much apart from
browsing and use for remote server management, which card should I
buy? I need to make a decision in the next hour or so.

I'd like it to be able to handle the compiz stuff aswell.

Thanks
Dan

Old 08-20-2008, 09:15 AM
"Dan Track"

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking for an ATI card for my work pc, doesn't do much apart from
> browsing and use for remote server management, which card should I
> buy? I need to make a decision in the next hour or so.
>
> I'd like it to be able to handle the compiz stuff aswell.
>
> Thanks
> Dan

Hi

I'd just like to add that I need a PCI card not PCI-e.

Dan

Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Ed Greshko

Dan Track wrote:

I'm looking for an ATI card for my work pc, doesn't do much apart from
browsing and use for remote server management, which card should I
buy? I need to make a decision in the next hour or so.

I'd like it to be able to handle the compiz stuff aswell.

Thanks
Dan

Hi

I'd just like to add that I need a PCI card not PCI-e.

Have you gone to the ATI website and checked on what is available in PCI?
Your choices seem limited....at least from a US perspective. I guess I'm
surprised your system doesn't have an AGP slot.

--
Andrea: Unhappy the land that has no heroes.
Galileo: No, unhappy the land that _____needs heroes.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:49 AM
"Dan Track"

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
> Dan Track wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm looking for an ATI card for my work pc, doesn't do much apart from
>>> browsing and use for remote server management, which card should I
>>> buy? I need to make a decision in the next hour or so.
>>>
>>> I'd like it to be able to handle the compiz stuff aswell.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dan
>>>

>> Hi
>>
>> I'd just like to add that I need a PCI card not PCI-e.
>
> Have you gone to the ATI website and checked on what is available in PCI?
> Your choices seem limited....at least from a US perspective. I guess I'm
> surprised your system doesn't have an AGP slot.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I do have an agp slot so thats an option aswell.
Any thoughts on a card selection?

Thanks
Dan

Old 08-20-2008, 09:53 AM
"Dan Track"

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
>> Dan Track wrote:

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'd just like to add that I need a PCI card not PCI-e.
>>
>> Have you gone to the ATI website and checked on what is available in PCI?
>> Your choices seem limited....at least from a US perspective. I guess I'm
>> surprised your system doesn't have an AGP slot.
>>

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the reply, I do have an agp slot so thats an option aswell.
> Any thoughts on a card selection?
>
> Thanks
> Dan

Guys,

Do you think the ATI x1300 pro would work ok?

Thanks
Dan

Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 AM
"Steve Repo"

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 2:53 AM, Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Have you gone to the ATI website and checked on what is available in PCI?
>>> Your choices seem limited....at least from a US perspective. I guess I'm
>>> surprised your system doesn't have an AGP slot.
>>>

>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks for the reply, I do have an agp slot so thats an option aswell.
>> Any thoughts on a card selection?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dan
>>

> Guys,
>
> Do you think the ATI x1300 pro would work ok?

Yes and very well supported by open source drivers including compiz

Old 08-20-2008, 10:24 AM
"Dan Track"

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Steve Repo <scmuser@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 2:53 AM, Dan Track <dan.track@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply, I do have an agp slot so thats an option aswell.
>>> Any thoughts on a card selection?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dan
>>>

>> Guys,
>>
>> Do you think the ATI x1300 pro would work ok?

> Yes and very well supported by open source drivers including compiz

Hi

Thanks for that. My supplier said he can't get that card but he said
he can get the Saphirre Radeon x1650 Pro 512MB DDR2 AGP VGA DVI TV,
would you know if that's supported and would work well with fedora 9
and compiz?

Thanks
Dan

Old 08-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Matthew Miller

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:24:47AM +0100, Dan Track wrote:
> Thanks for that. My supplier said he can't get that card but he said
> he can get the Saphirre Radeon x1650 Pro 512MB DDR2 AGP VGA DVI TV,
> would you know if that's supported and would work well with fedora 9
> and compiz?

That's an R500 chipset. It'll work in 2d now, and 3D (and with compiz) in
the future. If you need 3D now, you need a much older card -- R200 or R300
chipset. Look at the man page for "radeon" for product name-to-chipset
matching.

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Old 08-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Patrick

Dan Track wrote:
[snip]

Guys,

Do you think the ATI x1300 pro would work ok?

I have an X1300 in my laptop and it works fine with the open source ati
driver included in F9. I just use 2D (text, browsing, email) and no 3D
(games, compiz, etc). If you want to run compiz than you may have to use
the proprietary ati driver (fglrx). Afaik the only place to get support
for this proprietary driver is http://www.phoronix.com/forums/

Regards,
Patrick

Old 08-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Chris Jones

> That's an R500 chipset. It'll work in 2d now, and 3D (and with compiz) in
> the future. If you need 3D now, you need a much older card -- R200 or R300
> chipset. Look at the man page for "radeon" for product name-to-chipset
> matching.

Any reason why it has to be ATI ? Nvidia make cards too ...