Old 11-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Lovell Mcilwain

Default K3B not recognizing sony dvd writer

On Nov 13, 2007, at 3:03 PM, Mike Chambers wrote:

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 11:42 -0500, Lovell Mcilwain wrote:

Hello all,

I am having an issue where I can't get K3B to see my Sony DVD Writer.
When I start it, it promptly tells me that there isn't a writing
device available.

Make sure the service Consolekit is running, as I ran into this
problem

while testing for F8. You may just need to start the service, but it
might require a reboot if it doesn't initially. Just for giggles,
maybe

also make sure kudzu, messagebus, and haldaemon are running as well.

I have just now done a fresh install of Fedora 8 on my system and I
still can't seem to get my dvdwriter recognized. Can anyone offer any
other advice?

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best lil town on Earth!"

Old 11-21-2007, 04:08 AM
Lovell Mcilwain

Mike Chambers wrote:

I am having an issue where I can't get K3B to see my Sony DVD Writer.
When I start it, it promptly tells me that there isn't a writing
device available.

Make sure the service Consolekit is running, as I ran into this problem
while testing for F8. You may just need to start the service, but it
might require a reboot if it doesn't initially. Just for giggles, maybe
also make sure kudzu, messagebus, and haldaemon are running as well.

Here is the full output of cdrecord -s scanbus
I'm still wondering if anyone can give me any input... I am pretty much
stumped on this one...

[root@Izengard mnt]# cdrecord -s scanbus
wodim: No write mode specified.
wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
Detected CD-R drive: /dev/cdrw
Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'SONY '
Identification : 'DVD RW DRU-710A '
Revision : 'BY01'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE FORCESPEED
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
wodim: No such file or directory. Cannot open 'scanbus'.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Lovell Mcilwain wrote:

> Mike Chambers wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 11:42 -0500, Lovell Mcilwain wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I am having an issue where I can't get K3B to see my Sony DVD
>>> Writer. When I start it, it promptly tells me that there isn't a
>>> writing device available.
>>>

>> Make sure the service Consolekit is running, as I ran into this problem
>> while testing for F8. You may just need to start the service, but it
>> might require a reboot if it doesn't initially. Just for giggles, maybe
>> also make sure kudzu, messagebus, and haldaemon are running as well.
>>
> Here is the full output of cdrecord -s scanbus

I believe the command should be:

cdrecord -scanbus

--
Kevin J. Cummings