Old 08-19-2008, 10:44 PM
"Mick M."

Default Network Manager and Ralink

Hi;
I just bought an older Vaio PCG-FXA47 laptop.
It does not have wireless.
My main box does and it uses a Ralink PCI card.

I have a two PCMCIA cards and a USB adapter for the Vaio.

Only one of the PCMCIA cards will connect.
The other one and the USB give me the dreaded "secets required by wireless network", message.

I did a "lsmod | grep rt" on each.

Here is a breakdown:

working: PCI from main box

rt61pci 20736 0
rt2x00pci 9728 1 rt61pci
rt2x00lib 33280 2 rt61pci,rt2x00pci
rfkill 11288 2 rt2x00lib
mac80211 181480 2 rt2x00pci,rt2x00lib
cfg80211 24968 2 rt2x00lib,mac80211
crc_itu_t 5760 2 rt61pci,firewire_core
eeprom_93cx6 5888 1 rt61pci

working: laptop
PCMCIA Linksys WPC11 rev 4

rtl8180 29696 0
mac80211 181480 1 rtl8180
eeprom_93cx6 5888 1 rtl8180
cfg80211 24968 2 rtl8180,mac80211

Broken: laptop/Working:main box WITH PCI (2 connections)

USB: "WiBEE Wlan 80211g USB adapter"

rtl8187 39808 0
rtl8180 29696 0
mac80211 181480 2 rtl8187,rtl8180
eeprom_93cx6 5888 2 rtl8187,rtl8180
cfg80211 24968 3 rtl8187,rtl8180,mac80211
broken:laptop
PCMCIA: "MSI CB54G2" CT-CB54G2

rtl8180 29696 0
mac80211 181480 1 rtl8180
eeprom_93cx6 5888 1 rtl8180
cfg80211 24968 2 rtl8180,mac80211

If I plug the USB into the main box it connects, then I have two connections to the same router.
I cannot test the PCMCIA cards without an adapter.

So there is some strange stuff with the RaLink drivers.

Mick M.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 PM
"Mick M."

I forgot to mention that both the laptop and main box run F9.
Fully updated, KDE 4.0.

The laptop is an AMD Athlon 32 bit, and the main box is Athlon 64x2.
So the main box runs F9x64, laptop F9 i386

Maybe that is why the usb nic works on the main box.

Mick M.

Wed Aug 20 02:30:03 2008