Old 08-19-2008, 10:15 PM
"Dean S. Messing"

Default OT question about Macbook (OS X) file systems

I just purchaced a Macbook for my daughter as she's off to college
(required by the dept. she's in). I'm wondering if OS X understands
the ext3 filesysystem. In particular, will it properly handle
symlinks generated under linux? I wd. like to give her a USB disk containing
an ext3 filesystem (that has lots of symlinks) with her 25 Gig organised classical
music library on it (done on an F8 system).

Thanks for your help.
Dean

Old 08-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Rodney Myers

I just purchaced a Macbook for my daughter as she's off to college
(required by the dept. she's in). I'm wondering if OS X understands
the ext3 filesysystem. In particular, will it properly handle
symlinks generated under linux? I wd. like to give her a USB disk
containing
an ext3 filesystem (that has lots of symlinks) with her 25 Gig
organised classical

music library on it (done on an F8 system).

Thanks for your help.
Dean

Not out of the box.

I think this is the project I'm using to access my linux external
drives.

<http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/>

--
Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers.42@gmail.com>
ICQ#: AIM#: YAHOO:

Ben Franklin - 1759

Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 PM
"George N. White III"

I just purchaced a Macbook for my daughter as she's off to college
(required by the dept. she's in). I'm wondering if OS X understands the
ext3 filesysystem. In particular, will it properly handle symlinks
generated under linux? I wd. like to give her a USB disk containing an
ext3 filesystem (that has lots of symlinks) with her 25 Gig organised
classical music library on it (done on an F8 system).

Why not just set up the USB disk using the mac and rsync the files
across via networking?

OS X doesn't do ext3. You might be able to create an HFS+ filesystem
(I mount my HFS+ iPOD and write to it with linux, but there are
warnings "write on journalled filesystem not supported"). OS X does
have zfs and linux has fuse+zfs, so that might be worth a try too.

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>

Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Les Mikesell

Dean S. Messing wrote:

I just purchaced a Macbook for my daughter as she's off to college
(required by the dept. she's in). I'm wondering if OS X understands
the ext3 filesysystem. In particular, will it properly handle
symlinks generated under linux? I wd. like to give her a USB disk containing
an ext3 filesystem (that has lots of symlinks) with her 25 Gig organised classical
music library on it (done on an F8 system).

It won't, but if you samba-share the directory holding the files,
connect to it from the macbook, then drop the mapped folder onto itunes
it will copy and organize the files itself.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-19-2008, 11:10 PM
"Dean S. Messing"

Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> > Dean Messing wrote:
> > I just purchaced a Macbook for my daughter as she's off to college
> > (required by the dept. she's in). I'm wondering if OS X understands
> > the ext3 filesysystem. In particular, will it properly handle
> > symlinks generated under linux?
<snip>

> Not out of the box.
>
> I think this is the project I'm using to access my linux external
> drives.
>
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/>

Not what I was hoping to hear. :-)
(But thanks for your quick response!

I'll have a look but, being entirely ignorant of Macs, I probably
shd. ask another question:

Is there F/S that Mac and Linux have in common that supports
symlinking? I have the ntfs-3g stuff installed on this F8 machine,
but I don't know if (i) Mac speaks it and (ii) it supports symlinks.
I can find out for myself if (ii) is true, but I don't
have access to a Mac to find out (i).

Dean

Old 08-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Craig White

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 16:10 -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> > > Dean Messing wrote:
> > > I just purchaced a Macbook for my daughter as she's off to college
> > > (required by the dept. she's in). I'm wondering if OS X understands
> > > the ext3 filesysystem. In particular, will it properly handle
> > > symlinks generated under linux?
> <snip>
> >
> > Not out of the box.
> >
> > I think this is the project I'm using to access my linux external
> > drives.
> >
> > <http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/>
>
> Not what I was hoping to hear. :-)
> (But thanks for your quick response!
>
> I'll have a look but, being entirely ignorant of Macs, I probably
> shd. ask another question:
>
> Is there F/S that Mac and Linux have in common that supports
> symlinking? I have the ntfs-3g stuff installed on this F8 machine,
> but I don't know if (i) Mac speaks it and (ii) it supports symlinks.
> I can find out for myself if (ii) is true, but I don't
> have access to a Mac to find out (i).
----
I think you are over thinking this...

If you tar the files and untar them on the MacOS HD (HFS+), the symbolic
links should be fine.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFileSystem/Articles/Aliases.html

I seriously doubt that bringing in a non-native file system is the
answer you are looking for.

Craig