FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Beartooth
 
Default F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

When I clidk on the add/remove software launcher in the panel, I
get a window way bigger than my screen -- so big that even moving it
around enough to click where I need takes fancy tricks. Trying to
unmaximize is no help.

Do I need to run system-config-display?? Other windows behave ...

--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3
Remember I know precious little of what I am talking about.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-19-2008, 04:46 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 16:31 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> When I clidk on the add/remove software launcher in the panel, I
> get a window way bigger than my screen -- so big that even moving it
> around enough to click where I need takes fancy tricks. Trying to
> unmaximize is no help.
>
> Do I need to run system-config-display?? Other windows behave ...

system-config-display is for configuring the display (duh ...). It's not
going to help make a specific window any smaller.

This may be fixable through your desktop configuration controls, but you
don't say which dekstop you're using.

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo
 
Default F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

Am Dienstag, den 19.08.2008, 12:16 -0430 schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 16:31 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> > When I clidk on the add/remove software launcher in the panel, I
> > get a window way bigger than my screen -- so big that even moving it
> > around enough to click where I need takes fancy tricks. Trying to
> > unmaximize is no help.

...

> This may be fixable through your desktop configuration controls, but you
> don't say which dekstop you're using.

Same problem here. Gnome, default install F9 from liveCD. Some windows
also opens out of the screen viewport, sometimes they can be moved by
grabbing'em with the mouse while pressing the ALT key. Others seems to
open far from the screen and cannot be moved. Evrything else, including
compiz runs fine.

Any ideas?
----------------------------------------------
Rodolfo Alcazar - rodolfo.alcazar@padep.org.bo
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962
----------------------------------------------
"Ich habe versucht, ohne Sex und Alkohol zu leben. Es war die schlimmste
Viertelstunde meines Lebens."
- Unbekannter Autor


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Jim
 
Default F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 16:31 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

When I clidk on the add/remove software launcher in the panel, I
get a window way bigger than my screen -- so big that even moving it
around enough to click where I need takes fancy tricks. Trying to
unmaximize is no help.


Do I need to run system-config-display?? Other windows behave ...



system-config-display is for configuring the display (duh ...). It's not
going to help make a specific window any smaller.

This may be fixable through your desktop configuration controls, but you
don't say which dekstop you're using.

poc


On the EEEpc you have to hold down the"alt" key and click and hold on
window and move to get to bottom of Window.
The problem is because of the low resolution 600x800 the E is capable to
run , in other words you can't set resolution any higher.


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Beartooth
 
Default F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:16:52 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 16:31 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> When I clidk on the add/remove software launcher in the panel, I
>> get a window way bigger than my screen -- so big that even moving it
>> around enough to click where I need takes fancy tricks. Trying to
>> unmaximize is no help.
>>
>> Do I need to run system-config-display?? Other windows behave ...
>
> system-config-display is for configuring the display (duh ...). It's not
> going to help make a specific window any smaller.

I run gnome -- and, oddly enough, at times when I've had that a/
o /etc/X11/xorg.conf fouled way up, such behavior has repeatedly been one
of the symptoms.

> This may be fixable through your desktop configuration controls, but you
> don't say which dekstop you're using.

I run gnome and metacity; is that what you're asking?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3
Remember I know precious little of what I am talking about.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-19-2008, 07:58 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 19:25 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:16:52 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 16:31 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> >> When I clidk on the add/remove software launcher in the panel, I
> >> get a window way bigger than my screen -- so big that even moving it
> >> around enough to click where I need takes fancy tricks. Trying to
> >> unmaximize is no help.
> >>
> >> Do I need to run system-config-display?? Other windows behave ...
> >
> > system-config-display is for configuring the display (duh ...). It's not
> > going to help make a specific window any smaller.
>
> I run gnome -- and, oddly enough, at times when I've had that a/
> o /etc/X11/xorg.conf fouled way up, such behavior has repeatedly been one
> of the symptoms.

A single window is too big and everything else is OK? I can understand
the screen being the wrong size, which would affect everything including
the panel etc., but not one window. The display config doesn't know
anything about windows.

If you do have the wrong screen resolution, then system-config-display
is where you fix it, but this affects everything.

> > This may be fixable through your desktop configuration controls, but you
> > don't say which dekstop you're using.
>
> I run gnome and metacity; is that what you're asking?

Gnome is a desktop environment, as is KDE. Metacity is a window manager
often used with Gnome (the equivalent in KDE is kwm). Since I rarely use
them that's as far as I can go, but if your problem is with one window
then the fix will be there if at all and not in the display config.

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Jim
 
Default F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 19:25 +0000, Beartooth wrote:


On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:16:52 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:



On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 16:31 +0000, Beartooth wrote:


When I clidk on the add/remove software launcher in the panel, I
get a window way bigger than my screen -- so big that even moving it
around enough to click where I need takes fancy tricks. Trying to
unmaximize is no help.

Do I need to run system-config-display?? Other windows behave ...


system-config-display is for configuring the display (duh ...). It's not
going to help make a specific window any smaller.


I run gnome -- and, oddly enough, at times when I've had that a/
o /etc/X11/xorg.conf fouled way up, such behavior has repeatedly been one
of the symptoms.



A single window is too big and everything else is OK? I can understand
the screen being the wrong size, which would affect everything including
the panel etc., but not one window. The display config doesn't know
anything about windows.

If you do have the wrong screen resolution, then system-config-display
is where you fix it, but this affects everything.



This may be fixable through your desktop configuration controls, but you
don't say which dekstop you're using.


I run gnome and metacity; is that what you're asking?



Gnome is a desktop environment, as is KDE. Metacity is a window manager
often used with Gnome (the equivalent in KDE is kwm). Since I rarely use
them that's as far as I can go, but if your problem is with one window
then the fix will be there if at all and not in the display config.

poc


No matter what you do to Display settings in Linux , it is not going
allow a higher resolution than 800x600 on the
eeePC 7" display, if you have a 10" display like on the eeePC 900 than
you can set it to a higher resolution.


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-19-2008, 11:41 PM
fred smith
 
Default F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 04:05:45PM -0400, Jim wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 19:25 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> >
> >>On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:16:52 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 16:31 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> When I clidk on the add/remove software launcher in the panel, I
> >>>>get a window way bigger than my screen -- so big that even moving it
> >>>>around enough to click where I need takes fancy tricks. Trying to
> >>>>unmaximize is no help.
> >>>>
> >>>> Do I need to run system-config-display?? Other windows behave ...
> >>>>
> >>>system-config-display is for configuring the display (duh ...). It's not
> >>>going to help make a specific window any smaller.
> >>>
> >> I run gnome -- and, oddly enough, at times when I've had that a/
> >>o /etc/X11/xorg.conf fouled way up, such behavior has repeatedly been one
> >>of the symptoms.
> >>
> >
> >A single window is too big and everything else is OK? I can understand
> >the screen being the wrong size, which would affect everything including
> >the panel etc., but not one window. The display config doesn't know
> >anything about windows.
> >
> >If you do have the wrong screen resolution, then system-config-display
> >is where you fix it, but this affects everything.
> >
> >
> >>>This may be fixable through your desktop configuration controls, but you
> >>>don't say which dekstop you're using.
> >>>
> >> I run gnome and metacity; is that what you're asking?
> >>
> >
> >Gnome is a desktop environment, as is KDE. Metacity is a window manager
> >often used with Gnome (the equivalent in KDE is kwm). Since I rarely use
> >them that's as far as I can go, but if your problem is with one window
> >then the fix will be there if at all and not in the display config.
> >
> >poc
> >
> >
> No matter what you do to Display settings in Linux , it is not going
> allow a higher resolution than 800x600 on the
> eeePC 7" display, if you have a 10" display like on the eeePC 900 than
> you can set it to a higher resolution.

The 901 has an 8.9" display, and I believe so does the 900. This
display does 1024x600. Much better, but still not big enough for
some things. Probably the only thing the OP can do is drag the big
windows around with ALT/left-button.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
The Lord detests the way of the wicked
but he loves those who pursue righteousness.
----------------------------- Proverbs 15:9 (niv) -----------------------------
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Beartooth
 
Default F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:28:12 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 19:25 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
[...]
>> > This may be fixable through your desktop configuration controls, but
>> > you don't say which dekstop you're using.
>>
>> I run gnome and metacity; is that what you're asking?
>
> Gnome is a desktop environment, as is KDE. Metacity is a window manager
> often used with Gnome (the equivalent in KDE is kwm). Since I rarely use
> them that's as far as I can go, but if your problem is with one window
> then the fix will be there if at all and not in the display config.

I'm getting input overload on jargon here. Desktop, workspace,
GUI, window manager, theme, appearance, background, wallpaper, ... and
about a dozen more, all seem to have technincal meanings -- more than I
can keep track of.

Is a desktop environment the same as a desktop? Or what *is* a
desktop??


--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3
Remember I know precious little of what I am talking about.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Beartooth
 
Default F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:05:45 -0400, Jim wrote:
[...]
>> A single window is too big and everything else is OK? I can understand
>> the screen being the wrong size, which would affect everything
>> including the panel etc., but not one window. The display config
>> doesn't know anything about windows.
>>
>> If you do have the wrong screen resolution, then system-config-display
>> is where you fix it, but this affects everything.
>>
>>
>>>> This may be fixable through your desktop configuration controls, but
>>>> you don't say which dekstop you're using.
>>>>
>>> I run gnome and metacity; is that what you're asking?
>>>
>>>
>> Gnome is a desktop environment, as is KDE. Metacity is a window manager
>> often used with Gnome (the equivalent in KDE is kwm). Since I rarely
>> use them that's as far as I can go, but if your problem is with one
>> window then the fix will be there if at all and not in the display
>> config.
>>
> No matter what you do to Display settings in Linux , it is not going
> allow a higher resolution than 800x600 on the eeePC 7" display, if you
> have a 10" display like on the eeePC 900 than you can set it to a higher
> resolution.

My little steel tape shows a 7" diagonal on the screen. There are
wide black bands on both sides, which I've been told are speakers.

Fwiw, Main Menu > System > Administration > Display shows
640x350, millions of colors, hardware autoconfigured.

The first tab, if you click on 640x350, also offers 640x400,
640x480, and 720x400 -- iow,, it doesn't even get up to 800x600.

Would one of the other offered resolutions likely do better than
640x350?? I've sometimes had to make large changes in what's
autoconfigured, but I've other times gotten in over my eyeballs by
fiddling with these settings.

And the same is true of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Now that I know the trick of dragging with the left Alt key down,
I can usually do *something* with gpk -- but it sure would make life a
lot easier to have the window fit the monitor.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3
Remember I know precious little of what I am talking about.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:50 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org