Old 08-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default How to search the Fedora List

Searching the Fedora List came up in another thread. I thought this
important enough information to have a thread of its own. See web link
below:
http://marc.info/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

Old 08-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Wayne Feick

A nicer search interface to fedora-list as well as many other publicly
available mailing lists is available through MarkMail.

http://markmail.org/
http://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Afedora-list

Obligatory disclaimer - I work for MarkLogic.

Wayne.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Tom Horsley

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:41:39 -0500
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Searching the Fedora List came up in another thread. I thought this
> important enough information to have a thread of its own. See web link
> below:
> http://marc.info/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

I always use google's advanced search page and specify the root web
address of the mailing list archives. Works for pretty much everyone's
mailing lists (except the folks who for some reason have configured
their archives to not be scanned by search engines).

Old 08-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Frode Petersen

Tom Horsley:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:41:39 -0500
Searching the Fedora List came up in another thread. I thought this
important enough information to have a thread of its own. See web link
below:
http://marc.info/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

I always use google's advanced search page and specify the root web
address of the mailing list archives. Works for pretty much everyone's
mailing lists (except the folks who for some reason have configured
their archives to not be scanned by search engines).

Just a funny little thing:
I don't get any hits from normal or advanced search when searching for
'googlesmithing' (a word in that other thread's title) nor for 'F9
boot-from-USB' (which should have shown the thread 'F9 boot-from-USB
MemStick?'). I can find other threads from august 2008, though, so it's
not ralated to the message being from the current month. Markmail.org
that Wayne mentioned finds those threads. (I don't work from them ;-) )

Any suggestions as to why?

FP

Old 08-19-2008, 07:00 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 20:22 +0200, Frode Petersen wrote:
> Tom Horsley:
> > On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:41:39 -0500
> > Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Searching the Fedora List came up in another thread. I thought this
> >> important enough information to have a thread of its own. See web link
> >> below:
> >> http://marc.info/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2
> >
> > I always use google's advanced search page and specify the root web
> > address of the mailing list archives. Works for pretty much everyone's
> > mailing lists (except the folks who for some reason have configured
> > their archives to not be scanned by search engines).
> >

> Just a funny little thing:
> I don't get any hits from normal or advanced search when searching for
> 'googlesmithing'

Works for me.

poc

Old 08-19-2008, 09:57 PM
"Dave Burns"

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote:
> I always use google's advanced search page and specify the root web
> address of the mailing list archives. Works for pretty much everyone's
> mailing lists (except the folks who for some reason have configured
> their archives to not be scanned by search engines).

Yeah, that's where the discussion started, how to do that or something
comparable with more ease. Seems to me that there ought to be an
easier mechanism for putting something like that into my firefox
search engine menu. Alternatives seem to be

1) quick search/keyword - requires a search box on a web page,
http://marc.info/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2 would do. But you have to
remembver the keyword and type in the URL box.
2) mycroft extension - someone needs to rtfm and hack one together, I
may do so if I pass the motivation horizon
3) just type advanced search terms into the google box, or maybe save
that url as a bookmark

I've been doing #3, but I'm lazy and it seems like an annoyance.

I just found a firefox extension (SmartSearch) that lets you use
right-click to get to keyword searches, that may be just the thing:

I'm also looking at imacros
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3863), it promises
firefox automation in general, should have a way to speed up keyword
search setup.

Dave

Old 08-19-2008, 10:02 PM
"Dave Burns"

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 20:22 +0200, Frode Petersen wrote:
>> Tom Horsley:
>> Just a funny little thing:
>> I don't get any hits from normal or advanced search when searching for
>> 'googlesmithing'
>
> Works for me.
>
> poc

I can't get it either, here are my search terms:

site:https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list googlesmithing

I thought maybe google hadn't indexed recently, but maybe my search is ng.
Dave

Old 08-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Craig White

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 12:02 -1000, Dave Burns wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 20:22 +0200, Frode Petersen wrote:
> >> Tom Horsley:
> >> Just a funny little thing:
> >> I don't get any hits from normal or advanced search when searching for
> >> 'googlesmithing'
> >
> > Works for me.
> >
> > poc
>
> I can't get it either, here are my search terms:
>
> site:https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list googlesmithing
>
> I thought maybe google hadn't indexed recently, but maybe my search is ng.
----
try with http instead of https

Craig

Old 08-19-2008, 10:14 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 12:02 -1000, Dave Burns wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 20:22 +0200, Frode Petersen wrote:
> >> Tom Horsley:
> >> Just a funny little thing:
> >> I don't get any hits from normal or advanced search when searching for
> >> 'googlesmithing'
> >
> > Works for me.
> >
> > poc
>
> I can't get it either, here are my search terms:
>
> site:https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list googlesmithing

I just searched for "googlesmithing" with nothing fancy. Popped right
up.

poc

Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 AM
"Dave Burns"

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just searched for "googlesmithing" with nothing fancy. Popped right up.

I am not trying to find googlesmithing on the web. I am trying to find
it (and more generally, any search term) strictly within the archives
of the fedora users list.

I don't want the entire web, or even all of linux, because very often
I am searching for the sort of stuff where the correct answer for
debian or suse is noise for fedora. Often I know something has been
discussed here, so I don't want to waste bandwidth by posting again,
yet I do want to find the answer, which is no longer among my emails.
So I want to use google but generate only hits that have appeared on
this list as posts, just as if the list archive had a reasonable
search function of its own instead of the bizarre thread/date/author
organization. If possible, I'd also like to avoid getting multiple
hits for a single post.

(As an aside, does anyone ever get any use out of the archive using
that web interface at redhat? I guess I could drill right down to the
right post if I remembered who wrote it or what the exact subject was
or when it was discussed, but I almost never remember any of that. And
it's way too big for linear search.)

Usually I attempt to search the archive by adding
'site:https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list' to my list of
google search terms. Because I am getting lazy and would like to
automate or simplify that, this thread got split off the
googlesmithing thread.

When I search for "googlesmithing" by itself, I get several hits
(fcp.surfsite.org, www.mail-archive.com, linux.derkeiler.com, etc.),
but none at redhat.com, which I had thought of as the official
home/archive of the list. Was that my mistake?

Maybe redhat is slow updating the archive? No, the googlesmithing
thread is there
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-August/msg02132.html)
if you navigate by date.

It must be that google is slow indexing it? Google does give hits at
redhat's URL if you try some other terms. I just searched for

site:https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list fedora

and the youngest hit on the first page was from May 2008. Then I added
a date restriction:

past 24 hours = no hits
past week = one hit
past month = two hits?!!?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
past 2 months = 14 hits?
past 3 months = 53 hits?

WTF! Try another site.... fedora site:http://fcp.surfsite.org....

past 24 hours = 1 hit
past week = 1 hit
past month = 800 hits

After this little experiment, I do not know whether to ask for
thorazine or zoloft. I love both google and redhat, but sometimes ya
gotta wonder.

Could google be indexing only some of the posts? Randomizing their
indexing? Excluding 'fedora'? Excluding headers, addresses, etc.?
Could the age of a page be judged by something other than the age of
the post it contains, so somehow posts that were created this week
would somehow show up as hits in google searches only if the search
accepts month-old stuff?

Are any of these other sources (fcp.surfsite.org,
www.mail-archive.com, linux.derkeiler.com, etc.) more 'official' than
others? They at least seem like they might be more up-to-date? I guess
that should be the topic of my next study, but not today!

Dave