Old 12-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Karl Larsen

Default gmfsk problem SOLVED

Tomasz Torcz wrote:

Dnia 06-12-2007, czw o godzinie 16:09 -0700, Karl Larsen pisze:

I got all things working on F8 but then this shows up. I think there
is a way to stop it but not sure now what it is. When I try to use the
sound card transmit wise I get this error message:

*** opensnd: open: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

Latery you write about using "aoss". Maybe try outputing directly with
"padsp gmfsk". Or have PA temporarily yield devices with "pasuspender
gmfsk".

I do not know what opensnd is but /dev/dsp has root privledge. I wonder
if the error is due to the root /dev/dsp?

ACLs should be set for user.

Well I have no idea what padsp gmfsk does but it does solve the
problem! I see there is no man for padsp so will need to try Google for
more information.

In anycase the gmfsk is now running on F8 with no problems apparent.
Thank You!

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Steve Searle

Around 12:25pm on Friday, December 07, 2007 (UK time), Karl Larsen scrawled:

> Well I have no idea what padsp gmfsk does but it does solve the
> problem! I see there is no man for padsp so will need to try Google for
> more information.

You (and anyone) should be careful of running command just because
someone advises it unless you know what they will do first. After all,
anyone could easily say run (as root) 'rnn -rf / tmp/someolddirectory'
(command deliberately misspelled so that it isn't ever used) either out
of carelessness or maliciousness. Since you accused someone on this
mailing list of maliciously hacking your list account and changing the
sittings this is even more reason to take care.

This is not an attack against anyone (especially Tomasz) on this
mailinglist, but just what I consider as good advice. Similar to my
dad, an electrical engineer, never trusting anyone (including me) to
unplug something he was working on from the mains, but always unplugging
it himself.

Cheers

Steve

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

12:39:28 up 68 days, 23:35, 1 user, load average: 0.74, 0.28, 0.12

Old 12-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Karl Larsen

Steve Searle wrote:

[...]

Well Steve my problem was because I had a simple password. Running
this device was safe because it ran in my karl login which can't kill
much :-)

And it was found on Goggle to be a quick fix for older applications
that do not work with the new pulseaudio. It seems this is out to get us
all :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI