Old 12-07-2007, 11:15 AM
"Tim Evans"

Default FC8/IcedTea Java Plugin/FireFox/R

We're having trouble with R's use of the IcedTea Java plugin with FireFox
on an x64 system.

Despite passing Sun's JVM test (http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml),
R fails to load the plugin, so none of its web stuff works.

FireFox's 'aboutlugins' lists the IcedTea plugin, even when the Sun
plugin is placed in the user's .mozilla/plugins directory.

How can you force-load the real Sun Java plugin instead?

--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc. | 5 Chestnut Court
UNIX System Admin Consulting | Owings Mills, MD 21117

Old 12-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Brian Millett

Tim Evans escribío:
> We're having trouble with R's use of the IcedTea Java plugin with FireFox
> on an x64 system.
>
> Despite passing Sun's JVM test (http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml),
> R fails to load the plugin, so none of its web stuff works.
>
> FireFox's 'aboutlugins' lists the IcedTea plugin, even when the Sun
> plugin is placed in the user's .mozilla/plugins directory.
>
> How can you force-load the real Sun Java plugin instead?

Yep, I had the same problem. Very frustrating. First of all, the sun java
1.6.X has problems with libxcb, then icedtea applets do not display. Grrrr.

My solution was a bit brutish, but I downloaded that latest 1.7 snapshot (which
is what icedtea is) from http://download.java.net/jdk7/binaries/

Then I ran the following script PLEASE EDIT FOR YOUR OWN PATHS to set it up for
the the alternatives and plug in. It works for all java apps I've tried without
problems. Oh yeah, the script is a modified script that the icedtea rpm uses
for it's postinstall.

And for the people who want to argue about "free" vs "tainted" software. I just
want software to work.

__BEGIN__
#!/bin/bash

if test -f /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/jarexec
then
echo '-1' > /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/jarexec
fi
if test -f /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register
then
echo ':jarexec:M::PKx03x04::/usr/jdk/jre/lib/jexec:'
> /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register
fi

/usr/sbin/alternatives
--install /usr/bin/java java /usr/jdk/bin/java 17000
--slave /usr/lib/jvm/jre jre /usr/jdk/jre
--slave /usr/lib/jvm-exports/jre jre_exports /usr/jdk/jre
--slave /usr/bin/keytool keytool /usr/jdk/bin/keytool
--slave /usr/bin/orbd orbd /usr/jdk/bin/orbd
--slave /usr/bin/pack200 pack200 /usr/jdk/bin/pack200
--slave /usr/bin/policytool policytool /usr/jdk/bin/policytool
--slave /usr/bin/rmid rmid /usr/jdk/bin/rmid
--slave /usr/bin/rmiregistry rmiregistry /usr/jdk/bin/rmiregistry
--slave /usr/bin/servertool servertool /usr/jdk/bin/servertool
--slave /usr/bin/tnameserv tnameserv /usr/jdk/bin/tnameserv
--slave /usr/bin/unpack200 unpack200 /usr/jdk/bin/unpack200
--slave /usr/share/man/man1/java.1 java.1 /usr/jdk/man/man1/java.1
--slave /usr/share/man/man1/keytool.1 keytool.1 /usr/jdk/man/man1/keytool.1
--slave /usr/share/man/man1/orbd.1 orbd.1 /usr/jdk/man/man1/orbd.1
--slave /usr/share/man/man1/pack200.1 pack200.1 /usr/jdk/man/man1/pack200.1
--slave /usr/share/man/man1/policytool.1 policytool.1
/usr/jdk/man/man1/policytool.1
--slave /usr/share/man/man1/rmid.1 rmid.1 /usr/jdk/man/man1/rmid.1
--slave /usr/share/man/man1/rmiregistry.1 rmiregistry.1
/usr/jdk/man/man1/rmiregistry.1
--slave /usr/share/man/man1/servertool.1 servertool.1
/usr/jdk/man/man1/servertool.1
--slave /usr/share/man/man1/tnameserv.1 tnameserv.1
/usr/jdk/man/man1/tnameserv.1
--slave /usr/share/man/man1/unpack200.1 unpack200.1 /usr/jdk/man/man1/unpack200.1

/usr/sbin/alternatives
--install /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so libjavaplugin.so
/usr/jdk/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so 17000
__END__

--
Brian Millett - [ Ivanova, "The Geometry of Shadows"]
"If it gets too bad I'll just gnaw it off at the ankle."

Old 12-10-2007, 02:08 AM
"Tim Evans"

>Yep, I had the same problem. Very frustrating. First of all, the sun java
>1.6.X has problems with libxcb, then icedtea applets do not display.
>Grrrr.
>
>My solution was a bit brutish, but I downloaded that latest 1.7 snapshot
>(which is what icedtea is) from http://download.java.net/jdk7/binaries/
>
>Then I ran the following script PLEASE EDIT FOR YOUR OWN PATHS to set it
up >for the the alternatives and plug in. It works for all java apps
I've

Thanks, Brian. I downloaded the latest snapshort and tried the script,
but with no luck. Not quite sure what to try next, or how to verify the
script did the right things. (firefox 'aboutlugins' still references
the old plugin.) I'd appreciate any more suggestions.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:22 AM
"Kam Leo"

On Dec 9, 2007 7:08 PM, Tim Evans <tkevans@tkevans.com> wrote:
> >Yep, I had the same problem. Very frustrating. First of all, the sun java
> >1.6.X has problems with libxcb, then icedtea applets do not display.
> >Grrrr.
> >
> >My solution was a bit brutish, but I downloaded that latest 1.7 snapshot
> >(which is what icedtea is) from http://download.java.net/jdk7/binaries/
> >
> >Then I ran the following script PLEASE EDIT FOR YOUR OWN PATHS to set it
> up >for the the alternatives and plug in. It works for all java apps
> I've
>
> Thanks, Brian. I downloaded the latest snapshort and tried the script,
> but with no luck. Not quite sure what to try next, or how to verify the
> script did the right things. (firefox 'aboutlugins' still references
> the old plugin.) I'd appreciate any more suggestions.
> --
> Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc.

Have you looked in /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.x/plugins and removed the
link to the alternatives version of the jre?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:31 AM
dfuess

Brian, thanks for the details. I too have been frustrated with this. However, I have a couple of questions.

1) Did you download the file version and unpack it into /usr rename change /usr/jdk1.7.0 to /usr/jdk?

2) What's with the quote box in the middle of the script? Is that supposed to be a double-quoted string?

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=225711&topic_id=49084&forum= 10#forumpost225711
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame david@fuess.net.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:00 AM
Tim Evans

>Have you looked in /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.x/plugins and removed the
>link to the alternatives version of the jre?

Thanks. Yes, that is what the script Brian posted does.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:02 AM
Marc Schwartz

OK folks. Here is what I did to get the R java search applet working.

Note that this is on 32 bit F8, not 64 bit. Make any appropriate
adjustments as required.

1. Remove Iced Tea

sudo yum remove java-1.7.0-icedtea-*

2. Go to the java.sun.com web site and secure the appropriate JRE
download. In my case, it was:

jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin

3. Set the above to be executable:

chmod +x jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin

4. Run and install the above as root:

sudo ./jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin

5. Create the symlink to the JRE plugin:

cd ~/.mozilla/plugins
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

6. Be sure that you have no Firefox sessions open. If you do, close them all.

7. In R, type

help.start()

8. In the new Firefox session, click on the "Search Engine & Keywords" link

9. Pay attention to the lower left hand corner of the Firefox status
line. If all went well, you should see:

Applet SearchEngine started

indicating that all should be well. Just to check, enter a keyword
(eg. 'plot') and hit the search button.

HTH. It is working for me here.

Cheers,

Marc Schwartz

Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 AM
"Knute Johnson"

>OK folks. Here is what I did to get the R java search applet working.
>
>Note that this is on 32 bit F8, not 64 bit. Make any appropriate
>adjustments as required.
>
>1. Remove Iced Tea
>
> sudo yum remove java-1.7.0-icedtea-*
>

>2. Go to the java.sun.com web site and secure the appropriate JRE
>download. In my case, it was:
>
> jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin
>

>3. Set the above to be executable:
>
> chmod +x jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin
>

>4. Run and install the above as root:
>
> sudo ./jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin
>

>5. Create the symlink to the JRE plugin:
>
> cd ~/.mozilla/plugins
> ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>

>6. Be sure that you have no Firefox sessions open. If you do, close them all.
>

>7. In R, type
>
> help.start()
>

>8. In the new Firefox session, click on the "Search Engine & Keywords" link
>

>9. Pay attention to the lower left hand corner of the Firefox status
>line. If all went well, you should see:
>
> Applet SearchEngine started
>
>indicating that all should be well. Just to check, enter a keyword
>(eg. 'plot') and hit the search button.
>
>HTH. It is working for me here.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Marc Schwartz

I have a couple of questions;

Do you have compat-libstdc++-33 installed?

Did you do the Xinerama fix?

Why did you take out iced-tea?

Thanks very much,

--
Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...

Old 12-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Marc Schwartz

"Knute Johnson" <knute@frazmtn.com> writes:>

<snip of my content>

> I have a couple of questions;
>
> Do you have compat-libstdc++-33 installed?

Yes. Relevance?

> Did you do the Xinerama fix?

I don't use Xinerama, but do use TwinView. Is there something that I am
missing?

> Why did you take out iced-tea?

The first thing that I checked was to see what dependencies there were
for IcedTea. There were none, so I removed it, rather than attempting a
more "kludgy" fix.

So far, I have not noted any missing functionality and I don't do any
Java development. So until something I need comes up broken, I'll stay
with this approach.

I have communicated with members of R Core on this. An update will be
forthcoming to the R Installation and Administration Manual to reflect
this issue.

> Thanks very much,

Happy to help.

Marc

Old 12-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Marc Schwartz

Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz@comcast.net> writes:

> "Knute Johnson" <knute@frazmtn.com> writes:>
>
> <snip of my content>
>
>> I have a couple of questions;
>>
>> Do you have compat-libstdc++-33 installed?
>
> Yes. Relevance?
>
>> Did you do the Xinerama fix?
>
> I don't use Xinerama, but do use TwinView. Is there something that I am
> missing?
>
>> Why did you take out iced-tea?
>
> The first thing that I checked was to see what dependencies there were
> for IcedTea. There were none, so I removed it, rather than attempting a
> more "kludgy" fix.
>
> So far, I have not noted any missing functionality and I don't do any
> Java development. So until something I need comes up broken, I'll stay
> with this approach.
>
> I have communicated with members of R Core on this. An update will be
> forthcoming to the R Installation and Administration Manual to reflect
> this issue.
>
>> Thanks very much,
>
> Happy to help.

Sorry for replying to my own post here, but a quick follow up, as I had
not seen this referenced in the prior posts.

Peter Dalgaard, of R Core, referenced that he was able to use the
following from the Fedora FAQ:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#java

along with the 'sed' xinerama fix. I am a bit more educated on that
issue now... :-)

There is a Sun bug report here:

The Fedora FAQ entry was apparently just updated in the past few days.

This FAQ entry is also now included in the SVN version of the R Admin manual
along with a reference to the IcedTea issues on F8.

HTH,

Marc