-   -   anyone have an Acer TravelMate notebook or anything with an Atheros wifi chip? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/14352-anyone-have-acer-travelmate-notebook-anything-atheros-wifi-chip.html)

"D. Hugh Redelmeier" 12-07-2007 05:47 AM

anyone have an Acer TravelMate notebook or anything with an Atheros wifi chip?

| From: Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com>

| Sadly, even with the 8k stacks kernel, I'm getting an immediate kernel
| BUG() followed by crash of the OS when doing a "modprobe ndiswrapper".
| This is with the latest ndiswrapper release (1.50) as well as the
| 1.47 release. I guess i'm entirely screwed at this point.

My experience may or may not be relevant. I set up Ubuntu Feisty on my son's
Acer Aspire 5570-2792. I wrote up my experience here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AcerAspire5570-2792
Near the end is a description of the wireless part of the story.

I had tried madwifi + HAL and got HAL status 13. That was not even
logged. Anyway, HAL is a black box and apparently the open source
folks cannot to get the author to respond to problem reports.

This might be relevant: http://madwifi.org/ticket/1206

I ended up trying ndiswrapper. It did not work. But I found the
author on IRC and he actually sshed into my machine (with permission),
figured out the problem, and checked a fix into the repository. Now
that is service!

I've not touched the setup since May -- the box is thousands of
kilometers away. I don't know how reliable the WiFi is.