Old 11-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Gene Poole

Default Filesystems Not Mounting

You will notice below that the file system that I mounted manually,
produces 2 entries in fstab. And when you reboot the machine while it is
going down produces an error for each duplicated entry.

Here is the /etc/fstab:

Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/SysVG00-SysLV00
3069 389 2523 14% /
/dev/sda1 996 47 898 5% /boot
tmpfs 1985 0 1985 0% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/WebVG00-WebLV04
3968 181 3583 5% /usr/tomcat
/dev/mapper/WebVG00-WebLV02
3968 611 3153 17% /usr/java
/dev/mapper/WebVG00-WebLV00
3968 137 3627 4% /usr/apache
/dev/mapper/WebVG00-WebLV05
5952 141 5505 3% /usr/workspace
/dev/mapper/WebVG00-WebLV03
3968 517 3247 14% /usr/jboss
/dev/mapper/WebVG00-WebLV01
3968 296 3468 8% /usr/eclipse
/dev/mapper/DBMSVG00-DBMSLV08
9920 151 9257 2% /u01/install
/dev/mapper/SysVG00-SysLV05
3968 336 3428 9% /var
/dev/mapper/SysVG00-SysLV03
1984 68 1815 4% /tmp
/dev/mapper/SysVG00-SysLV01
1984 80 1803 5% /home
/dev/mapper/SysVG00-SysLV02
992 152 789 17% /opt
/dev/mapper/SysVG00-SysLV07
1488 35 1377 3% /opt/fedora-ds
/dev/mapper/SysVG00-SysLV06
11904 5308 5982 48% /usr
/dev/mapper/SysVG00-SysLV04
1488 50 1362 4% /usr/local
/dev/mapper/DBMSVG00-DBMSLV06
9920 151 9257 2% /u06
/dev/mapper/DataVG00-DataLV01
19839 7052 11764 38% /work
/dev/mapper/DataVG00-DataLV00
31742 879 29225 3% /jpdshare
/dev/mapper/DataVG00-DataLV02
19839 173 18643 1% /hobbes
/dev/mapper/DBMSVG00-DBMSLV00
9920 151 9257 2% /usr/oracle
/dev/mapper/DBMSVG00-DBMSLV03
9920 151 9257 2% /u03
/dev/mapper/DBMSVG00-DBMSLV01
9920 151 9257 2% /u01
/dev/mapper/DBMSVG00-DBMSLV05
9920 151 9257 2% /u05
/dev/mapper/DBMSVG00-DBMSLV02
9920 151 9257 2% /u02
/dev/mapper/DBMSVG00-DBMSLV07
9920 151 9257 2% /u07
/dev/mapper/DBMSVG00-DBMSLV04
9920 151 9257 2% /u04
/dev/mapper/WebVG00-WebLV02
3968 611 3153 17% /usr/java
/dev/mapper/WebVG00-WebLV01
3968 296 3468 8% /usr/eclipse
/dev/mapper/WebVG00-WebLV00
3968 137 3627 4% /usr/apache
/dev/mapper/WebVG00-WebLV04
3968 181 3583 5% /usr/tomcat
/dev/mapper/WebVG00-WebLV03
3968 517 3247 14% /usr/jboss
/dev/mapper/WebVG00-WebLV05
5952 141 5505 3% /usr/workspace

Thanks,
Gene Poole
gene.poole@macys.com

Old 11-20-2007, 05:40 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Gene Poole wrote:
> You will notice below that the file system that I mounted manually,
> produces 2 entries in fstab. And when you reboot the machine while it is
> going down produces an error for each duplicated entry.

What version of Fedora are you running? I have never seen mounting a
file system manually produce changes in /etc/fstab. I do remember
that auto-mounting drives back in FC5 (FC4?) used to produce a
temporary entry in /etc/fstab when you hot-plugged a drive, but even
then manually mounting a file system would not produce an entry in
/etc/fstab. (It would in /etv/mtab...) So I suspect that the entries
were created some other way.

Mikkel

Old 11-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Gene Poole

This is from Fedora 7. A week old install.

A little history:
Was running Fedora 6 with all available fixes via yum without any
issues (this included Sun Java and Oracle 10g Enterprise database).
I performed a clean install on this same machine of Fedora 7. But I
had the same filesystem issues so I went back to Fedora 6.
Later I performed a clean install on this machine of Fedora 8. But
with the Sun Java and Oracle database issues, I fell back to Fedora
6.
Now - After the EOL for Fedora 6 was announced and I saw no
resolution for the Oracle and Java issues, I did a clean install of
Fedora 7.

Thanks,
Gene Poole
gene.poole@macys.com

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:40:07 -0600
From: "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com>
Subject: Re: Filesystems Not Mounting
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@redhat.com>

Gene Poole wrote:

You will notice below that the file system that I mounted manually,
produces 2 entries in fstab. And when you reboot the machine while it

is

going down produces an error for each duplicated entry.

What version of Fedora are you running? I have never seen mounting a
file system manually produce changes in /etc/fstab. I do remember
that auto-mounting drives back in FC5 (FC4?) used to produce a
temporary entry in /etc/fstab when you hot-plugged a drive, but even
then manually mounting a file system would not produce an entry in
/etc/fstab. (It would in /etv/mtab...) So I suspect that the entries
were created some other way.

Mikkel

I am not seeing what the problem is. You say IT all works fine on
FC6. But you tried both F7 and F8 and you were not able to mount some
file systems. Now where are these file systems now?

If they are on FC6 I should think you can cp -a from FC6 to F8 any
file system you want.

You are talking about /etc/fstab and it has NOTHING to do with file
systems. Fstab is used to connect whole partitions to a main part.

So please some details. Are you trying to move your Orical data base
directories to F8? That will not work. Orical has files all over the FC6
file system.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Gene Poole

Let me clarify:
At boot time when all of the entries in fstab are normally mounted,
the duplicates in the fstab are not mounted. The duplicate entries
are a result of the following:
As an example, I entered a 'ls -ltr /usr/oracle' and a single line
containing 0 was returned (it should have at least showed the
lost+found directory entry).
I then entered 'sudo mount -a'; and received many messages stating
that there are missing mount points.
As an example I entered 'sudo mkdir -p /usr/oracle'
I then entered: 'sudo mount /dev/mapper/DBMSVG00-DBMSLV00
/usr/oracle' (from my fstab entry)
At this point is when I realized that there are now duplicate
entries in fstab, however, /usr/oracle is available and usable.

I hope this clarifies my situation.

Thanks,
Gene Poole
gene.poole@macys.com

Old 11-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Tim

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 13:47 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> You are talking about /etc/fstab and it has NOTHING to do with file
> systems. Fstab is used to connect whole partitions to a main part.

Clue-by-four: File System TABle

Second whacking:
man fstab

NAME
fstab - static information about the filesystems

SYNOPSIS
#include <fstab.h>

DESCRIPTION
The file fstab contains descriptive information about the various
file systems...

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Tim

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 12:16 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:
> Here is the /etc/fstab:
>
> Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/SysVG00-SysLV00
> 3069 389 2523 14% /
> /dev/sda1 996 47 898 5% /boot
> tmpfs 1985 0 1985 0% /dev/shm

Umm, no... That's the output from something like the "df" command.
The /etc/fstab file looks quite different, and I haven't seen it posted
by you.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Karl Larsen

Gene Poole wrote:

Let me clarify:
At boot time when all of the entries in fstab are normally mounted,
the duplicates in the fstab are not mounted. The duplicate entries
are a result of the following:

Stop! Right here put a copy of your /etc/fstab file.

As an example, I entered a 'ls -ltr /usr/oracle' and a single line
containing 0 was returned (it should have at least showed the
lost+found directory entry).

Your treating /usr/oracle as a directory but I think It might be a
partition???

I then entered 'sudo mount -a'; and received many messages stating
that there are missing mount points.

Mount -a is to mount everything in fstab. But that is done normal
during boot.

As an example I entered 'sudo mkdir -p /usr/oracle'
I then entered: 'sudo mount /dev/mapper/DBMSVG00-DBMSLV00
/usr/oracle' (from my fstab entry)
At this point is when I realized that there are now duplicate
entries in fstab, however, /usr/oracle is available and usable.

I have no idea how you got here. Please which system are you talking
about and show us your /etc/fstab and your grub.conf files.

Karl

Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 16:39 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:

> Let me clarify:
> At boot time when all of the entries in fstab are normally
> mounted,
> the duplicates in the fstab are not mounted. The duplicate
> entries
> are a result of the following:
> As an example, I entered a 'ls -ltr /usr/oracle' and a single
> line
> containing 0 was returned (it should have at least showed the
> lost+found directory entry).
> I then entered 'sudo mount -a'; and received many messages
> stating
> that there are missing mount points.
> As an example I entered 'sudo mkdir -p /usr/oracle'
> I then entered: 'sudo mount /dev/mapper/DBMSVG00-DBMSLV00
> /usr/oracle' (from my fstab entry)
> At this point is when I realized that there are now duplicate
> entries in fstab, however, /usr/oracle is available and
> usable.
>
> I hope this clarifies my situation.

Things are getting confusing. Returning to a previous comment
mounting a file-system does not add anything to fstab. mount -a mounts
those entries in the fstab. Show us a fstab file with duplicate entries.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:11 PM
John Summerfield

Aaron Konstam wrote:

those entries in the fstab. Show us a fstab file with duplicate entries.

This is how to show us the fstab:
[summer@potoroo ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2

and so it goes.

--

Cheers