FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Gene Poole
 
Default Filesystems Not Mounting

You're correct! That was from a df -m. Here is the real fstab:

/dev/SysVG00/SysLV00 / ext3 defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot1 /boot ext3 defaults
1 2
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults
0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620
0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults
0 0
proc /proc proc defaults
0 0
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV04 /usr/tomcat ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV02 /usr/java ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV00 /usr/apache ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV05 /usr/workspace ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV03 /usr/jboss ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV01 /usr/eclipse ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV08 /u01/install ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV05 /var ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV03 /tmp ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV01 /home ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV02 /opt ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV07 /opt/fedora-ds ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV06 /usr ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV04 /usr/local ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV06 /u06 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DataVG00/DataLV01 /work ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DataVG00/DataLV00 /jpdshare ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DataVG00/DataLV02 /hobbes ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV00 /usr/oracle ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV03 /u03 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV01 /u01 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV05 /u05 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV02 /u02 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV07 /u07 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV04 /u04 ext3 defaults
1 2
LABEL=SWAP-sda8 swap swap defaults
0 0

I was wrong, it is the df -m list that shows duplicates. But the errors do
occur when I reboot. When looking above, the volume groups that have this
issue are:
WebVG00
DBMSVG00
DataVG00

SysVG00 always works.

Thanks,
Gene Poole
gene.poole@macys.com

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Rick Stevens
 
Default Filesystems Not Mounting

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 16:56 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 16:39 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:
> >
> > Let me clarify:
> > At boot time when all of the entries in fstab are normally
> > mounted,
> > the duplicates in the fstab are not mounted. The duplicate
> > entries
> > are a result of the following:
> > As an example, I entered a 'ls -ltr /usr/oracle' and a single
> > line
> > containing 0 was returned (it should have at least showed the
> > lost+found directory entry).
> > I then entered 'sudo mount -a'; and received many messages
> > stating
> > that there are missing mount points.
> > As an example I entered 'sudo mkdir -p /usr/oracle'
> > I then entered: 'sudo mount /dev/mapper/DBMSVG00-DBMSLV00
> > /usr/oracle' (from my fstab entry)
> > At this point is when I realized that there are now duplicate
> > entries in fstab, however, /usr/oracle is available and
> > usable.
> >
> > I hope this clarifies my situation.
>
> Things are getting confusing. Returning to a previous comment
> mounting a file-system does not add anything to fstab. mount -a mounts
> those entries in the fstab. Show us a fstab file with duplicate entries.

Correct. mount adds entries in /etc/mtab (not /etc/fstab) and then
only if mount is invoked _without_ the "-n" flag.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer rstevens@internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc. http://www.internap.com -
- -
- Microsoft Windows: Proof that P.T. Barnum was right -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-21-2007, 01:51 AM
Tim
 
Default Filesystems Not Mounting

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 19:00 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:
> Here is the real fstab:
>
> /dev/SysVG00/SysLV00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
> LABEL=/boot1 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
> tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/WebVG00/WebLV04 /usr/tomcat ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/WebVG00/WebLV02 /usr/java ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/WebVG00/WebLV00 /usr/apache ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/WebVG00/WebLV05 /usr/workspace ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/WebVG00/WebLV03 /usr/jboss ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/WebVG00/WebLV01 /usr/eclipse ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV08 /u01/install ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/SysVG00/SysLV05 /var ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/SysVG00/SysLV03 /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/SysVG00/SysLV01 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/SysVG00/SysLV02 /opt ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/SysVG00/SysLV07 /opt/fedora-ds ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/SysVG00/SysLV06 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/SysVG00/SysLV04 /usr/local ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV06 /u06 ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/DataVG00/DataLV01 /work ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/DataVG00/DataLV00 /jpdshare ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/DataVG00/DataLV02 /hobbes ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV00 /usr/oracle ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV03 /u03 ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV01 /u01 ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV05 /u05 ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV02 /u02 ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV07 /u07 ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV04 /u04 ext3 defaults 1 2
> LABEL=SWAP-sda8 swap swap defaults 0 0
>
> I was wrong, it is the df -m list that shows duplicates. But the
> errors do occur when I reboot. When looking above, the volume groups
> that have this issue are:
> WebVG00
> DBMSVG00
> DataVG00
>
> SysVG00 always works

I wonder if it's an ordering issue? To mount something onto the tree
at /usr/something, /usr/ has to be already mounted, beforehand.

You have /usr/ quite a fair way down into the fstab file. I don't know
whether it parses it sequentially, or goes through the whole thing
before mounting what's listed in it, in the order necessary to do all
the mounts. I thought it did parse it sequentially, and my mtab is in
the same order as my fstab (mtab reflects what has been mounted).

Try moving all the system mount points up above all your extra ones.

Though, that doesn't account for your DATA volume group issues.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
important to the thread.)

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
I read messages from the public lists.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-21-2007, 02:16 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"
 
Default Filesystems Not Mounting

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 19:00 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:
>> Here is the real fstab:
>>
<-----------------------[ SNIP ]----------------->
>
> I wonder if it's an ordering issue? To mount something onto the tree
> at /usr/something, /usr/ has to be already mounted, beforehand.
>
> You have /usr/ quite a fair way down into the fstab file. I don't know
> whether it parses it sequentially, or goes through the whole thing
> before mounting what's listed in it, in the order necessary to do all
> the mounts. I thought it did parse it sequentially, and my mtab is in
> the same order as my fstab (mtab reflects what has been mounted).
>
> Try moving all the system mount points up above all your extra ones.
>
> Though, that doesn't account for your DATA volume group issues.
>
I can not find where it is specifically stated, but it is implied in
the -a and -F options that the /etc/fstab is processed from the top
down, and I can remember reading it somewhere. So if you try to
mount /usr/tomcat before /usr you are going to run into problems.
You will either have a problem of the mount point missing, or
running into problems of mounting a file system over the mount
point. I know you can hide an existing directory tree, but I have
never tested what happens if you are hiding mount points. (Does it
generate an error with mounting /usr, or does /usr/tomcat become
inaccessible?)

Mikkel
--

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-21-2007, 03:44 AM
Gene Poole
 
Default Filesystems Not Mounting

Based upon your suggestion, I've re-arranged the fstab:
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV00 / ext3 defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot1 /boot ext3 defaults
1 2
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults
0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620
0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults
0 0
proc /proc proc defaults
0 0
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV05 /var ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV03 /tmp ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV01 /home ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV02 /opt ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV07 /opt/fedora-ds ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV06 /usr ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV04 /usr/local ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DataVG00/DataLV00 /jpdshare ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DataVG00/DataLV01 /work ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DataVG00/DataLV02 /hobbes ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV00 /usr/oracle ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV01 /u01 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV02 /u02 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV03 /u03 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV04 /u04 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV05 /u05 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV06 /u06 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV07 /u07 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV08 /u01/install ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV04 /usr/tomcat ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV02 /usr/java ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV00 /usr/apache ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV05 /usr/workspace ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV03 /usr/jboss ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV01 /usr/eclipse ext3 defaults
1 2
LABEL=SWAP-sda8 swap swap defaults
0 0

The above fstab produced a reboot that had every filesystem mounted.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Gene Poole
gene.poole@macys.com

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Filesystems Not Mounting

Gene Poole wrote:

You're correct! That was from a df -m. Here is the real fstab:

/dev/SysVG00/SysLV00 / ext3 defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot1 /boot ext3 defaults
1 2
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults
0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620
0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults
0 0
proc /proc proc defaults
0 0
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV04 /usr/tomcat ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV02 /usr/java ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV00 /usr/apache ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV05 /usr/workspace ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV03 /usr/jboss ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/WebVG00/WebLV01 /usr/eclipse ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV08 /u01/install ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV05 /var ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV03 /tmp ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV01 /home ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV02 /opt ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV07 /opt/fedora-ds ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV06 /usr ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/SysVG00/SysLV04 /usr/local ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV06 /u06 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DataVG00/DataLV01 /work ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DataVG00/DataLV00 /jpdshare ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DataVG00/DataLV02 /hobbes ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV00 /usr/oracle ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV03 /u03 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV01 /u01 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV05 /u05 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV02 /u02 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV07 /u07 ext3 defaults
1 2
/dev/DBMSVG00/DBMSLV04 /u04 ext3 defaults
1 2
LABEL=SWAP-sda8 swap swap defaults
0 0

I was wrong, it is the df -m list that shows duplicates. But the errors do
occur when I reboot. When looking above, the volume groups that have this
issue are:
WebVG00
DBMSVG00
DataVG00

SysVG00 always works.

Thanks,
Gene Poole
gene.poole@macys.com


Hi Gene, I have had the great good sense to use the older ways to
mount Linux systems and Fedora. I have learned to put boot and my own
directory into partitions so I can use them for other things. But the
system you have is almost impossible to follow. But I will try.


I have no idea why anyone would put part of /usr in one partition
and another and another and another... But that is what it did. And the
partition names are odd. But this explains what your talking about.


Your /etc/fstab tells me I have no business trying to help you
because I do not know the first thing about your system. It has helped
me however, because I have thought about setting up a Fedora system like
that. Now I know I never will :-)




--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Filesystems Not Mounting

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 21:16 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 19:00 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:
> >> Here is the real fstab:
> >>
> <-----------------------[ SNIP ]----------------->
> >
> > I wonder if it's an ordering issue? To mount something onto the tree
> > at /usr/something, /usr/ has to be already mounted, beforehand.
> >
> > You have /usr/ quite a fair way down into the fstab file. I don't know
> > whether it parses it sequentially, or goes through the whole thing
> > before mounting what's listed in it, in the order necessary to do all
> > the mounts. I thought it did parse it sequentially, and my mtab is in
> > the same order as my fstab (mtab reflects what has been mounted).
> >
> > Try moving all the system mount points up above all your extra ones.
> >
> > Though, that doesn't account for your DATA volume group issues.
> >
> I can not find where it is specifically stated, but it is implied in
> the -a and -F options that the /etc/fstab is processed from the top
> down, and I can remember reading it somewhere. So if you try to
> mount /usr/tomcat before /usr you are going to run into problems.
> You will either have a problem of the mount point missing, or
> running into problems of mounting a file system over the mount
> point. I know you can hide an existing directory tree, but I have
> never tested what happens if you are hiding mount points. (Does it
> generate an error with mounting /usr, or does /usr/tomcat become
> inaccessible?)
>
I would be amazed that you could mount /usr/tomcat before /usr in the
fstab and then be able to see /usr/tomcat. I would also be interested if
you can see /usr/tomcat when you boot.
--
================================================== =====================
I've found my niche. If you're wondering why I'm not there, there was
this little hole in the bottom ... -- John Croll
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-21-2007, 03:10 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"
 
Default Filesystems Not Mounting

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 21:16 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> I can not find where it is specifically stated, but it is implied in
>> the -a and -F options that the /etc/fstab is processed from the top
>> down, and I can remember reading it somewhere. So if you try to
>> mount /usr/tomcat before /usr you are going to run into problems.
>> You will either have a problem of the mount point missing, or
>> running into problems of mounting a file system over the mount
>> point. I know you can hide an existing directory tree, but I have
>> never tested what happens if you are hiding mount points. (Does it
>> generate an error with mounting /usr, or does /usr/tomcat become
>> inaccessible?)
>>
> I would be amazed that you could mount /usr/tomcat before /usr in the
> fstab and then be able to see /usr/tomcat. I would also be interested if
> you can see /usr/tomcat when you boot.
>
You could mount /usr/tomcat before /usr if there was a /usr/tomcat
directory as part of the root file system. What I don't know is what
would happen if you them try to mount /usr. As I can not see any
valid reason to do it, I have never tested it. What I suspect would
happen if that you would no longer be able to access anything that
was on /usr/tomcat, but you might get an error message when trying
to mount /usr instead.

The only use I can see for doing it is if you want to open some
files on /usr/tomcat, and then hide the /mnt/tomcat file system. It
would be one way to hide a rootkit, or backdoor code.

Mikkel
--

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Gene Poole
 
Default Filesystems Not Mounting

First off, let me thank everyone who responded and helped me solve this
issue. Going forward I will try not to carry over definitions and ideas
from prior releases of Fedora.


For Karl's comments below:
If you ever set-up a machine to be used as a true server, you will probably
need to set-up multiple partitions. The beauty of LVM is the ability to
expand and compress file systems as the need arises. However, you wouldn't
normally have as much on a single machine as I do - but when I use this
experience when setting up a server I don't have these issues. This is
also the very first time I've run into the need to define filesystems in a
specific order. I'll bet that change wasn't in the release notes from
Fedora Core 6 to Fedora 7. I hadn't realized, until I read the comments
that solved my problem. Fedora 6 doesn't care in what order you define
your file systems, but Fedora 7 does.


For Aaron's comments below:
That never occurred to me in the past - it just worked. So what ever code
that creates the filesystem order in the fstab doesn't seem to work as well
as in the past. If you had looked in my SysVG00 you would see the /usr was
defined last so that it would be easier to get all of the remaining space
in the volume group. Going forward I will need to make a note about
defining my file systems.


Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Hi Gene, I have had the great good sense to use the older ways to
> mount Linux systems and Fedora. I have learned to put boot and my own
> directory into partitions so I can use them for other things. But the
> system you have is almost impossible to follow. But I will try.
>
> I have no idea why anyone would put part of /usr in one partition
> and another and another and another... But that is what it did. And the
> partition names are odd. But this explains what your talking about.
>
> Your /etc/fstab tells me I have no business trying to help you
> because I do not know the first thing about your system. It has helped
> me however, because I have thought about setting up a Fedora system like
> that. Now I know I never will :-)

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I would be amazed that you could mount /usr/tomcat before /usr in the
> fstab and then be able to see /usr/tomcat. I would also be interested if
> you can see /usr/tomcat when you boot.
> --

Thanks,
Gene Poole
gene.poole@macys.com

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:48 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org