-   -   Best way to copy /usr to different partition? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/14298-best-way-copy-usr-different-partition.html)

"Daniel B. Thurman" 12-07-2007 02:31 AM

Best way to copy /usr to different partition?

I was getting dangerously close to running out of disk space
since /usr was filling up fast.

I thought it was simple to tar-copy /usr to a different drive/partiton
using tar copy such as:

(cd /usr; tar cpf - .) | (cd /newpartition; tar xpf -)

I tar copied the contents of /usr into my new drive/partition
and I changed the partition label to /usr, updated my
/etc/fstab file, renamed my /usr to /usr-b, created
an empty directory /usr, chmod it to 775, mounted
/usr - and it all looked fine. I then unmounted /usr,
and then rebooted.

The reboot reported that there was a problem with
the two library files: somelibfile.so.1 and somelibfile.so.2
and then gnome came up with user/password screen.

I logged in as a normal user, and after that point, I a
black screen came up with the gnome-X-cursor and
then stopped. Nothing worked at this point.

I then rebooted using rescue CD, and examined the
messages log file and it appears that selinux reported
all sorts of AVC denied over /usr and other non-system
mounted filesystems.

Clearly, it seems that selinux is having problems.

I suppose I can reboot setting the selinux = 0 and then
begin the task of somehow repairing selinux tags in all
of my files? Does this make any sense?

Anyone have a better solution?

I could reverse the /usr process and get rename /usr-b
and comment out the /usr from my fstab, but I wanted
some input from member in this forum before attempting
to do that - I would end up back to my original disk-space
problem.

Any advice?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

"Kevin J. Cummings" 12-07-2007 02:43 AM

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> I was getting dangerously close to running out of disk space
> since /usr was filling up fast.
>
> I thought it was simple to tar-copy /usr to a different drive/partiton
> using tar copy such as:
>
> (cd /usr; tar cpf - .) | (cd /newpartition; tar xpf -)

using tar doesn't copy the extended attributes used by SELinux. Have
you relabeled the drive? ( touch /.relabel ; reboot )

> I tar copied the contents of /usr into my new drive/partition
> and I changed the partition label to /usr, updated my
> /etc/fstab file, renamed my /usr to /usr-b, created
> an empty directory /usr, chmod it to 775, mounted
> /usr - and it all looked fine. I then unmounted /usr,
> and then rebooted.
>
> The reboot reported that there was a problem with
> the two library files: somelibfile.so.1 and somelibfile.so.2
> and then gnome came up with user/password screen.
>
> I logged in as a normal user, and after that point, I a
> black screen came up with the gnome-X-cursor and
> then stopped. Nothing worked at this point.
>
> I then rebooted using rescue CD, and examined the
> messages log file and it appears that selinux reported
> all sorts of AVC denied over /usr and other non-system
> mounted filesystems.
>
> Clearly, it seems that selinux is having problems.

So relabel the drive.

> I suppose I can reboot setting the selinux = 0 and then
> begin the task of somehow repairing selinux tags in all
> of my files? Does this make any sense?
>
> Anyone have a better solution?
>
> I could reverse the /usr process and get rename /usr-b
> and comment out the /usr from my fstab, but I wanted
> some input from member in this forum before attempting
> to do that - I would end up back to my original disk-space
> problem.
>
> Any advice?

When I started looking into backups after SELinux, the recommendation
was to use "star" instead of "tar" and to have it copy the extended
attributes as well.

>From by backup script:
> # Use star instead of tar to capture the SELinux attributes
>
> TAR=star
>
> # Write archive to this file
> # Use f=tarfile to write to tarfile
> # Leave empty to write to sdtout
>
> TARFILE=root
> STAR_COMPRESS_FLAG=-9
>
> # -c create a star archive
> # -bz compress with bzip2
> # -C / to backup files starting from /
> # -H=exustar format is required to store SELinux attributes
> # -M do not descend mount points
> # ignore -multivol for now
> # -P allow partial last record
> # -vv increase verbosity and list files being archived
> # -xattr to archive SELinux attributes
>
> OPTS="-c - -bz -C / -H=exustar -M -P -vv -xattr"
>
> $TAR $OPTS $FS | split -d -b $SPLITSIZE $TARFILE

I'm compressing and writing to DVDs, so you night not need all of the
options or the split pipe that I use.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Chris G 12-07-2007 11:09 AM

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 07:31:28PM -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> I was getting dangerously close to running out of disk space
> since /usr was filling up fast.
>
> I thought it was simple to tar-copy /usr to a different drive/partiton
> using tar copy such as:
>
> (cd /usr; tar cpf - .) | (cd /newpartition; tar xpf -)
>
> I tar copied the contents of /usr into my new drive/partition
> and I changed the partition label to /usr, updated my
> /etc/fstab file, renamed my /usr to /usr-b, created
> an empty directory /usr, chmod it to 775, mounted
> /usr - and it all looked fine. I then unmounted /usr,
> and then rebooted.
>
> The reboot reported that there was a problem with
> the two library files: somelibfile.so.1 and somelibfile.so.2
> and then gnome came up with user/password screen.
>
> I logged in as a normal user, and after that point, I a
> black screen came up with the gnome-X-cursor and
> then stopped. Nothing worked at this point.
>
> I then rebooted using rescue CD, and examined the
> messages log file and it appears that selinux reported
> all sorts of AVC denied over /usr and other non-system
> mounted filesystems.
>
> Clearly, it seems that selinux is having problems.
>
> I suppose I can reboot setting the selinux = 0 and then
> begin the task of somehow repairing selinux tags in all
> of my files? Does this make any sense?
>
> Anyone have a better solution?

Personally I'd try 'cp -R', that's supposed to handle most
things OK.

--
Chris Green

Steve Searle 12-07-2007 11:14 AM

Best way to copy /usr to different partition?

Around 12:09pm on Friday, December 07, 2007 (UK time), Chris G scrawled:

> On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 07:31:28PM -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

<snip>
> > Anyone have a better solution?
> >
> Personally I'd try 'cp -R', that's supposed to handle most
> things OK.

cp -pR would be better as that will preserve mode, ownership and
timestamps. However consider how you want to handle symbolic links.

Steve

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

12:12:15 up 68 days, 23:08, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.03, 0.01

Tony Nelson 12-07-2007 03:42 PM

At 10:43 PM -0500 12/6/07, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>> I was getting dangerously close to running out of disk space
>> since /usr was filling up fast.
>>
>> I thought it was simple to tar-copy /usr to a different drive/partiton
>> using tar copy such as:
>>
>> (cd /usr; tar cpf - .) | (cd /newpartition; tar xpf -)
>
>using tar doesn't copy the extended attributes used by SELinux. ...

`man tar` shows the --xattrs and --no-xattrs options (though `man tar` and
`info tar` don't say what the default is), so tar should work for EAs if
used with --xattrs.

Rick Stevens 12-07-2007 06:48 PM

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 11:12 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> [...]
> >since /usr was filling up fast.
> >
> >I thought it was simple to tar-copy /usr to a different drive/partiton
> >using tar copy such as:
> >
> >(cd /usr; tar cpf - .) | (cd /newpartition; tar xpf -)
> >
> >I tar copied the contents of /usr into my new drive/partition
> >and I changed the partition label to /usr, updated my
> >/etc/fstab file, renamed my /usr to /usr-b, created
> >an empty directory /usr, chmod it to 775, mounted
> >/usr - and it all looked fine. I then unmounted /usr,
> >and then rebooted.
> >
> >The reboot reported that there was a problem with
> >the two library files: somelibfile.so.1 and somelibfile.so.2
> >and then gnome came up with user/password screen.
> >
> >I logged in as a normal user, and after that point, I a
> >black screen came up with the gnome-X-cursor and
> >then stopped. Nothing worked at this point.
> >
> >I then rebooted using rescue CD, and examined the
> >messages log file and it appears that selinux reported
> >all sorts of AVC denied over /usr and other non-system
> >mounted filesystems.
> >
> >Clearly, it seems that selinux is having problems.
> >
> >I suppose I can reboot setting the selinux = 0 and then
> >begin the task of somehow repairing selinux tags in all
> >of my files? Does this make any sense?
> >
> >Anyone have a better solution?
> >
> >I could reverse the /usr process and get rename /usr-b
> >and comment out the /usr from my fstab, but I wanted
> >some input from member in this forum before attempting
> >to do that - I would end up back to my original disk-space
> >problem.
> >
> >Any advice?
> >

> Ok, I have booted into rescue CD, and performed these steps:
>
> 1) (cd /usr-b; tar -cp --xattrs -f - .) | (cd /usr; tar -xp -xattrs -f -)
> 2) touch /.relabel
> 3) reboot
>
> And I was able to get back into GDM and to log in as a normal
> user using the login screen, however the boot processes did
> report errors and the messages log as well:
>
> 1) restorecond: Will not restore a file with more than one hard link (/etc/resolv.conf)
> 2) SELINUX: avc denied {search } comm="ifconfig" name="lib" (7 times)
> 3) SELINUX: avc denied {read} comm="mount" name="locale-archive"
> 4) SELINUX: avc denied {read} comm="mount" name="locale-alias"
> 5) SELINUX: avc denied {search} comm="dmesg" name="lib" (7 times)
> 6) SELINUX: avc denied {search} comm="dmesg" name="share"
> 7) SELINUX: avc denied {search} comm="kudzu" name="lib" (7 times)
> 8) SELINUX: avc denied {search} comm="kudzu" name="share" (5 times)
> 9) SELINUX: avc denied {search} comm="arping" name="lib" (16 times)
> 10) SELINUX: avc denied {getattr} comm="arping" name="/usr/lib"
> 11) arping: libsysfs.so.1 and libsysfs.so.2
>
> Note: most of these files have default_t assigned to these files... and
> it says that for "arping", it needs to have netutils_t assigned.
>
> It seems to me, that the only files I need to worry about are the above
> libsysfs.so.1/2 needs to be relabeled and I am not sure what to do about

The hard links to /etc/resolv.conf are typically somewhere in
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles

You can "ls -i /etc/resolv.conf" to get the inode of resolv.conf.
Then "find /etc/sysconfig/networking -inum inode" to find the other
hard links. Example on my laptop:

[root@golem3 ~]# ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r-- 2 root root 75 2007-11-26 08:57 /etc/resolv.conf
[root@golem3 ~]# ls -i /etc/resolv.conf
8389128 /etc/resolv.conf
[root@golem3 ~]# find /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles -inum 8389128
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/Office/resolv.conf

You can delete the entry in the networking tree (in this case,
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/Office/resolv.conf), restorecon
/etc/resolv.conf, then recreate the hard link.

- -
- IGNORE that man behind the keyboard! -
- - The Wizard of OS -

"Daniel B. Thurman" 12-07-2007 07:35 PM

Tony Nelson wrote:
>Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 8:43 AM
>To: fedora-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Best way to copy /usr to different partition?
>

>At 10:43 PM -0500 12/6/07, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>>Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>>> I was getting dangerously close to running out of disk space
>>> since /usr was filling up fast.
>>>
>>> I thought it was simple to tar-copy /usr to a different
>drive/partiton
>>> using tar copy such as:
>>>
>>> (cd /usr; tar cpf - .) | (cd /newpartition; tar xpf -)
>>
>>using tar doesn't copy the extended attributes used by SELinux. ...
>
>`man tar` shows the --xattrs and --no-xattrs options (though
>`man tar` and
>`info tar` don't say what the default is), so tar should work
>for EAs if
>used with --xattrs.
>--
>_________________________________________________ ___________________
>TonyN.:' <mailto:tonynelson@georgeanelson.com>
> ' <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>
>
>--

I have discovered that using:

(cd /usr-b; tar -cp -xattrs -f - .) | (cd /usr; tar -xp --xattrs -f -)
OR
(cd /usr; cp -pR /usr-b/. .)

did not preserve the selinux attributes.

I have checked the attributes in /usr-b/lib/libsysfs* and
it has lib_t assigned to these files against the copied files
/usr/lib/libsysfs* and it shows default_t instead of lib_t.

This may mean that my entire /usr filesystem has improper
selinux attributes.

Can someone tell me how to copy the files from my original
/usr-b filesystem to /usr filesystem with the selinux attributes
intact?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Stephen Smalley 12-07-2007 07:40 PM

Best way to copy /usr to different partition?

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 11:12 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>
> >Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 7:31 PM
> >To: Fedora-List (E-mail)
> >Subject: Best way to copy /usr to different partition?
> >
> >I was getting dangerously close to running out of disk space
> >since /usr was filling up fast.
> >
> >I thought it was simple to tar-copy /usr to a different drive/partiton
> >using tar copy such as:
> >
> >(cd /usr; tar cpf - .) | (cd /newpartition; tar xpf -)
> >
> >I tar copied the contents of /usr into my new drive/partition
> >and I changed the partition label to /usr, updated my
> >/etc/fstab file, renamed my /usr to /usr-b, created
> >an empty directory /usr, chmod it to 775, mounted
> >/usr - and it all looked fine. I then unmounted /usr,
> >and then rebooted.
> >
> >The reboot reported that there was a problem with
> >the two library files: somelibfile.so.1 and somelibfile.so.2
> >and then gnome came up with user/password screen.
> >
> >I logged in as a normal user, and after that point, I a
> >black screen came up with the gnome-X-cursor and
> >then stopped. Nothing worked at this point.
> >
> >I then rebooted using rescue CD, and examined the
> >messages log file and it appears that selinux reported
> >all sorts of AVC denied over /usr and other non-system
> >mounted filesystems.
> >
> >Clearly, it seems that selinux is having problems.
> >
> >I suppose I can reboot setting the selinux = 0 and then
> >begin the task of somehow repairing selinux tags in all
> >of my files? Does this make any sense?
> >
> >Anyone have a better solution?
> >
> >I could reverse the /usr process and get rename /usr-b
> >and comment out the /usr from my fstab, but I wanted
> >some input from member in this forum before attempting
> >to do that - I would end up back to my original disk-space
> >problem.
> >
> >Any advice?
> >

> Ok, I have booted into rescue CD, and performed these steps:
>
> 1) (cd /usr-b; tar -cp --xattrs -f - .) | (cd /usr; tar -xp -xattrs -f -)
> 2) touch /.relabel

That should be 'touch /.autorelabel'.

Or pass 'autorelabel' as an argument on the kernel command line at boot.

> 3) reboot
>
> And I was able to get back into GDM and to log in as a normal
> user using the login screen, however the boot processes did
> report errors and the messages log as well:
>
> 1) restorecond: Will not restore a file with more than one hard link (/etc/resolv.conf)
> 2) SELINUX: avc denied {search } comm="ifconfig" name="lib" (7 times)
> 3) SELINUX: avc denied {read} comm="mount" name="locale-archive"
> 4) SELINUX: avc denied {read} comm="mount" name="locale-alias"
> 5) SELINUX: avc denied {search} comm="dmesg" name="lib" (7 times)
> 6) SELINUX: avc denied {search} comm="dmesg" name="share"
> 7) SELINUX: avc denied {search} comm="kudzu" name="lib" (7 times)
> 8) SELINUX: avc denied {search} comm="kudzu" name="share" (5 times)
> 9) SELINUX: avc denied {search} comm="arping" name="lib" (16 times)
> 10) SELINUX: avc denied {getattr} comm="arping" name="/usr/lib"
> 11) arping: libsysfs.so.1 and libsysfs.so.2
>
> Note: most of these files have default_t assigned to these files... and
> it says that for "arping", it needs to have netutils_t assigned.
>
> It seems to me, that the only files I need to worry about are the above
> libsysfs.so.1/2 needs to be relabeled and I am not sure what to do about
> the /etc/resolv.conf file.
>
> Can anyone advise what I can do at this point?

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency

Stephen Smalley 12-07-2007 08:16 PM

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 12:35 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Tony Nelson wrote:
> >Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 8:43 AM
> >To: fedora-list@redhat.com
> >Subject: Re: Best way to copy /usr to different partition?

> >drive/partiton

> >>using tar doesn't copy the extended attributes used by SELinux. ...
> >
> >`man tar` shows the --xattrs and --no-xattrs options (though
> >`man tar` and
> >`info tar` don't say what the default is), so tar should work
> >for EAs if
> >used with --xattrs.
> >--
> >_________________________________________________ ___________________
> >TonyN.:' <mailto:tonynelson@georgeanelson.com>
> > ' <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>
> >
> >--
>
> I have discovered that using:
>
> (cd /usr-b; tar -cp -xattrs -f - .) | (cd /usr; tar -xp --xattrs -f -)

That's a bug - bugzilla it. Should work with --xattrs or --selinux.

> OR
> (cd /usr; cp -pR /usr-b/. .)

Use cp -a; cp -p only deals with DAC perms.

> did not preserve the selinux attributes.
>
> I have checked the attributes in /usr-b/lib/libsysfs* and
> it has lib_t assigned to these files against the copied files
> /usr/lib/libsysfs* and it shows default_t instead of lib_t.
>
> This may mean that my entire /usr filesystem has improper
> selinux attributes.
>
> Can someone tell me how to copy the files from my original
> /usr-b filesystem to /usr filesystem with the selinux attributes
> intact?

star is supposed to know how to handle xattrs.
tar was patched in F8 but something seems amiss there.
cp has support.
Or you can just copy however you please and then perform a relabel,
either by running fixfiles relabel manually or by touch /.autorelabel
and reboot.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency

"Daniel B. Thurman" 12-07-2007 09:00 PM

Stephen Smalley wrote:
>Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 1:17 PM
>To: For users of Fedora

THANKS STEPHEN! I 'touch /.autorelabel', rebooted, and
everything was returned to correct labels in my new /usr
partition!

Seems everything now works and is restored!!

Now of course, the hard part is finding the broken(?) symlinks...

Checked by AVG Free Edition.