Old 12-06-2007, 10:47 PM
david walcroft

Default haldaemon problem

I'm trying to restart the daemon and get this

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo /sbin/service haldaemon restart
Stopping HAL daemon: [FAILED]
Starting HAL daemon: [FAILED]

Is it because I might not have haldaemon in my system.

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep haldaemon

This brings up nothing.

Thanks david

Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 PM
tian

在 2007-12-07五的 09:47 +1000,david walcroft写道:
> I'm trying to restart the daemon and get this
>
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo /sbin/service haldaemon restart
> Stopping HAL daemon: [FAILED]
> Starting HAL daemon: [FAILED]
>
> Is it because I might not have haldaemon in my system.
Do you have file /etc/init.d/haldaemon ?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Todd Zullinger

david walcroft wrote:
> I'm trying to restart the daemon and get this
>
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo /sbin/service haldaemon restart
> Stopping HAL daemon: [FAILED]
> Starting HAL daemon: [FAILED]

Look in /var/log/messages for some some clues.

> Is it because I might not have haldaemon in my system.
>
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep haldaemon

No. The package name isn't haldaemon, it's just hal. If you didn't
have it installed, you wouldn't have the init script that the service
command runs.

You could check with rpm -V that the hal packages aren't messed up (if
there's nothing obvious in the logs):

rpm -V hal hal-libs

Old 12-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Todd Zullinger

tian wrote:
>> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo /sbin/service haldaemon restart
>> Stopping HAL daemon: [FAILED]
>> Starting HAL daemon: [FAILED]
>>
>> Is it because I might not have haldaemon in my system.
> Do you have file /etc/init.d/haldaemon ?

If /etc/init.d/haldaemon wasn't present, then the service script would
return:

haldaemon: unrecognized service

Old 12-07-2007, 08:57 AM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 6, 2007 3:47 PM, david walcroft <d_j_w46@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> I'm trying to restart the daemon and get this
>
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo /sbin/service haldaemon restart
> Stopping HAL daemon: [FAILED]
> Starting HAL daemon: [FAILED]
>
> Is it because I might not have haldaemon in my system.
>
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep haldaemon
>
> This brings up nothing.
>

> Thanks david

Hi david walcroft!

To administrate, be root - become so "su".

>From "man hald":

subscribe.

First, to obtain useful debug traces you will need to have debuginfo
packages installed. On a Fedora system this is in the hal-debuginfo
package and can be installed via the yum update program.

Second, shut down the existing hald daemon instance; on a Fedora system
this is achieved by

/etc/init.d/haldaemon stop

After having shut down the daemon, you might want to run

pkill hald

to ensure that all the helper processe of hald are killed too. To start
the HAL daemon, use

/usr/sbin/hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes

gdb /usr/sbin/hald

and then typing

run --daemon=no --verbose=yes

at the (gdb) prompt. To capture a back trace, use the bt command and
attach this to the bug report.

Please also attach the output of lshal(1) in the bug report if possible
(it's not possible if the hald daemon crashed). If the nature of the
bug has to do with hotplugging, attach two outputs of lshal(1) - one
before the device hotplug event and one after.

SEE ALSO
udev(7), dbus-daemon(1), lshal(1), hal-set-property(1), hal-get-prop-
erty(1), hal-find-by-property(1), hal-find-by-capability(1), hal-is-
caller-locked-out(1)

Old 12-07-2007, 09:12 AM
"Antonio M"

2007/12/7, Tod Merley <todbot88@gmail.com>:
> On Dec 6, 2007 3:47 PM, david walcroft <d_j_w46@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> > I'm trying to restart the daemon and get this
> >
> > [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo /sbin/service haldaemon restart
> > Stopping HAL daemon: [FAILED]
> > Starting HAL daemon: [FAILED]
> >
> > Is it because I might not have haldaemon in my system.
> >
> > [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep haldaemon
> >
> > This brings up nothing.
> >

> > Thanks david
> >
> > --
> >

> Hi david walcroft!
>
> To administrate, be root - become so "su".
>
> >From "man hald":

> subscribe.
>
> First, to obtain useful debug traces you will need to have debuginfo
> packages installed. On a Fedora system this is in the hal-debuginfo
> package and can be installed via the yum update program.
>
> Second, shut down the existing hald daemon instance; on a Fedora system
> this is achieved by
>
> /etc/init.d/haldaemon stop
>
> After having shut down the daemon, you might want to run
>
> pkill hald
>
> to ensure that all the helper processe of hald are killed too. To start
> the HAL daemon, use
>
> /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes
>
> gdb /usr/sbin/hald
>
> and then typing
>
> run --daemon=no --verbose=yes
>
> at the (gdb) prompt. To capture a back trace, use the bt command and
> attach this to the bug report.
>
> Please also attach the output of lshal(1) in the bug report if possible
> (it's not possible if the hald daemon crashed). If the nature of the
> bug has to do with hotplugging, attach two outputs of lshal(1) - one
> before the device hotplug event and one after.
>
> SEE ALSO
> udev(7), dbus-daemon(1), lshal(1), hal-set-property(1), hal-get-prop-
> erty(1), hal-find-by-property(1), hal-find-by-capability(1), hal-is-
> caller-locked-out(1)

I have exactly the same problem if F9T, but I do not find the
hal-debug packege in repos....

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Old 12-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 01:57 -0800, Tod Merley wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2007 3:47 PM, david walcroft <d_j_w46@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> > I'm trying to restart the daemon and get this
> >
> > [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo /sbin/service haldaemon restart
> > Stopping HAL daemon: [FAILED]
> > Starting HAL daemon: [FAILED]
> >
> > Is it because I might not have haldaemon in my system.
> >
> > [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep haldaemon
> >
> > This brings up nothing.
> >

> > Thanks david
> >
> > --
> >

> Hi david walcroft!
>
> To administrate, be root - become so "su".
su - would be better.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:23 PM
david walcroft

tian wrote:

在 2007-12-07五的 09:47 +1000,david walcroftå*™é?“:

I'm trying to restart the daemon and get this

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo /sbin/service haldaemon restart
Stopping HAL daemon: [FAILED]
Starting HAL daemon: [FAILED]

Is it because I might not have haldaemon in my system.

Do you have file /etc/init.d/haldaemon ?

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep haldaemon

This brings up nothing.

Thanks david

No I do not have /etc/init.d/haldaemon

david

Old 12-07-2007, 10:25 PM
david walcroft

Todd Zullinger wrote:

david walcroft wrote:

I'm trying to restart the daemon and get this

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo /sbin/service haldaemon restart
Stopping HAL daemon: [FAILED]
Starting HAL daemon: [FAILED]

Look in /var/log/messages for some some clues.

Is it because I might not have haldaemon in my system.

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep haldaemon

No. The package name isn't haldaemon, it's just hal. If you didn't
have it installed, you wouldn't have the init script that the service
command runs.

You could check with rpm -V that the hal packages aren't messed up (if
there's nothing obvious in the logs):

rpm -V hal hal-libs

No I do not have rpm -V hal hal-libs and no messages in the in the log.

david

Old 12-07-2007, 10:30 PM
david walcroft

Tod Merley wrote:

On Dec 6, 2007 3:47 PM, david walcroft <d_j_w46@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

I'm trying to restart the daemon and get this

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo /sbin/service haldaemon restart
Stopping HAL daemon: [FAILED]
Starting HAL daemon: [FAILED]

Is it because I might not have haldaemon in my system.

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep haldaemon

This brings up nothing.

Thanks david

Hi david walcroft!

To administrate, be root - become so "su".

>From "man hald":

subscribe.

First, to obtain useful debug traces you will need to have debuginfo
packages installed. On a Fedora system this is in the hal-debuginfo
package and can be installed via the yum update program.

Second, shut down the existing hald daemon instance; on a Fedora system
this is achieved by

/etc/init.d/haldaemon stop

After having shut down the daemon, you might want to run

pkill hald

to ensure that all the helper processe of hald are killed too. To start
the HAL daemon, use

/usr/sbin/hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes

gdb /usr/sbin/hald

and then typing

run --daemon=no --verbose=yes

at the (gdb) prompt. To capture a back trace, use the bt command and
attach this to the bug report.

Please also attach the output of lshal(1) in the bug report if possible
(it's not possible if the hald daemon crashed). If the nature of the
bug has to do with hotplugging, attach two outputs of lshal(1) - one
before the device hotplug event and one after.

SEE ALSO
udev(7), dbus-daemon(1), lshal(1), hal-set-property(1), hal-get-prop-
erty(1), hal-find-by-property(1), hal-find-by-capability(1), hal-is-
caller-locked-out(1)

Have fun!

Tod

I read the man "hald" but my problem is I
cannot shutdown hald as shown in my first post.

david