-   -   gmfsk problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/14156-gmfsk-problem.html)

Karl Larsen 12-06-2007 10:09 PM

gmfsk problem

I got all things working on F8 but then this shows up. I think there
is a way to stop it but not sure now what it is. When I try to use the
sound card transmit wise I get this error message:

*** opensnd: open: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

I do not know what opensnd is but /dev/dsp has root privledge. I wonder
if the error is due to the root /dev/dsp?

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Karl Larsen 12-06-2007 11:21 PM

gmfsk problem

Karl Larsen wrote:
I got all things working on F8 but then this shows up. I think
there is a way to stop it but not sure now what it is. When I try to
use the sound card transmit wise I get this error message:

*** opensnd: open: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

I do not know what opensnd is but /dev/dsp has root privledge. I
wonder if the error is due to the root /dev/dsp?

I went to my working gmfsk on F7 and I found I start it with aoss
gmfsk and it is the aoss that stops the problem. Alas when I try #yum
install aoss on F8 it says no such thing. I wonder what I should call it?

karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Rick Stevens 12-06-2007 11:40 PM

gmfsk problem

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 17:21 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
> > I got all things working on F8 but then this shows up. I think
> > there is a way to stop it but not sure now what it is. When I try to
> > use the sound card transmit wise I get this error message:
> >
> > *** opensnd: open: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
> >
> > I do not know what opensnd is but /dev/dsp has root privledge. I
> > wonder if the error is due to the root /dev/dsp?
> >

> I went to my working gmfsk on F7 and I found I start it with aoss
> gmfsk and it is the aoss that stops the problem. Alas when I try #yum
> install aoss on F8 it says no such thing. I wonder what I should call it?

yum install alsa-oss. Sounds like gmfsk is an OSS-only application. If
you built it from source, do "./configure --help" and see if you can add
an "--enable=alsa" or some such flag so it'll run on ALSA without having
to emulate the old OSS layers.

Karl Larsen 12-07-2007 12:18 AM

gmfsk problem

Rick Stevens wrote:

I got all things working on F8 but then this shows up. I think
there is a way to stop it but not sure now what it is. When I try to
use the sound card transmit wise I get this error message:

*** opensnd: open: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

I do not know what opensnd is but /dev/dsp has root privledge. I
wonder if the error is due to the root /dev/dsp?

I went to my working gmfsk on F7 and I found I start it with aoss
gmfsk and it is the aoss that stops the problem. Alas when I try #yum
install aoss on F8 it says no such thing. I wonder what I should call it?

yum install alsa-oss. Sounds like gmfsk is an OSS-only application. If
you built it from source, do "./configure --help" and see if you can add
an "--enable=alsa" or some such flag so it'll run on ALSA without having
to emulate the old OSS layers.

I must do something. The use of $ aoss gmfsk & worked fine on F7 but
does not work at all on F8. I have no idea why. It took me 3 hours to
figure out how to get aoss loaded on F8, and then after doing that it
doesn't work.

- -
- "You think that's tough? Try herding cats!" -

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.

Rick Stevens 12-07-2007 12:26 AM

gmfsk problem

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 18:18 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:

> >> I went to my working gmfsk on F7 and I found I start it with aoss
> >> gmfsk and it is the aoss that stops the problem. Alas when I try #yum
> >> install aoss on F8 it says no such thing. I wonder what I should call it?
> >>

> > yum install alsa-oss. Sounds like gmfsk is an OSS-only application. If
> > you built it from source, do "./configure --help" and see if you can add
> > an "--enable=alsa" or some such flag so it'll run on ALSA without having
> > to emulate the old OSS layers.
> >

> I must do something. The use of $ aoss gmfsk & worked fine on F7 but
> does not work at all on F8. I have no idea why. It took me 3 hours to
> figure out how to get aoss loaded on F8, and then after doing that it
> doesn't work.

Do you still have pulse-audio enabled? That may be hosing it. It'll
fight with OSS. "yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio"

Karl Larsen 12-07-2007 12:32 AM

gmfsk problem

Karl Larsen wrote:

Rick Stevens wrote:

[...]

I tried to configure with --enable alsa but it treated that as an
error. So I think there is a big change in F8 that keeps gmfsk from
working. And no way to correct the problem.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Karl Larsen 12-07-2007 12:58 AM

gmfsk problem

Rick Stevens wrote:

[...]

No I turned off pulseaudio the first thing after getting F8 loaded.
It was causing VLC no end of troubles.

And it seems F8 has the F7 problem of putting up a full screen cross
hatch image and it disconnects the mouse and keyboard. This is a real
problem because you can only turn off the computer. I may have to go
back to FC4 which has none of these problems :-)

- -
- Brain: The organ with which we think that we think. -

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.

Tomasz Torcz 12-07-2007 07:56 AM

gmfsk problem

Dnia 06-12-2007, czw o godzinie 16:09 -0700, Karl Larsen pisze:
> I got all things working on F8 but then this shows up. I think there
> is a way to stop it but not sure now what it is. When I try to use the
> sound card transmit wise I get this error message:
>
> *** opensnd: open: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

Latery you write about using "aoss". Maybe try outputing directly with
"padsp gmfsk". Or have PA temporarily yield devices with "pasuspender
gmfsk".

> I do not know what opensnd is but /dev/dsp has root privledge. I wonder
> if the error is due to the root /dev/dsp?

ACLs should be set for user.

--
Tomasz Torcz