Old 12-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Fedora 7 Shutdown

Gene Poole wrote:

I complained to a friend of mine about one of my boxes just shutting down
without any notice. He informed me that this is an issue, in some cases,
with people running Fedora 7. I'm running Fedora 7 x86_64 (AMD X2 64
+5600, 4-GB RAM, nVidia PCIE graphic card, 2 - 320 GB SATA hard drives).
Is there a way to fix this or should I just start my migration to Fedora 8?

Thanks,
Gene Poole
gene.poole@macys.com

I have F7 32 and 64 bit and they will run for ever. They stop only
when I say stop. You must have a bad computer or power source.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Tim

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 14:56 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:
> I complained to a friend of mine about one of my boxes just shutting
> down without any notice. He informed me that this is an issue, in
> some cases, with people running Fedora 7.

Never encountered that, never heard it before.

Sounds like the stupid mantra I get from the local idiot Windows
retailer, about how Linux doesn't drivers for current hardware and isn't
viable. He's wrong, of course, and it's worked for almost every bit of
hardware I've thrown at it, so far, including a current model laptop.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Christoph Höger

Am Donnerstag, den 06.12.2007, 14:56 -0500 schrieb Gene Poole:
> I complained to a friend of mine about one of my boxes just shutting down
> without any notice. He informed me that this is an issue, in some cases,
> with people running Fedora 7. I'm running Fedora 7 x86_64 (AMD X2 64
> +5600, 4-GB RAM, nVidia PCIE graphic card, 2 - 320 GB SATA hard drives).
> Is there a way to fix this or should I just start my migration to Fedora 8?
>
> Thanks,
> Gene Poole
> gene.poole@macys.com

Hi,

the first thing I would point at: You've got not enough power (watts)!
With _that_ configuration you could simply run out of power with burning
something and looking/encoding a video or so.
How many W has your power supply? And how many W does your
CPU,GPU,HDs,DVDs need at maximum?

regards

christoph

Old 12-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Todd Denniston

I complained to a friend of mine about one of my boxes just shutting down
without any notice. He informed me that this is an issue, in some cases,
with people running Fedora 7. I'm running Fedora 7 x86_64 (AMD X2 64
+5600, 4-GB RAM, nVidia PCIE graphic card, 2 - 320 GB SATA hard drives).
Is there a way to fix this or should I just start my migration to Fedora 8?

Thanks,
Gene Poole
gene.poole@macys.com

Hi,

the first thing I would point at: You've got not enough power (watts)!
With _that_ configuration you could simply run out of power with burning
something and looking/encoding a video or so.
How many W has your power supply? And how many W does your

CPU,GPU,HDs,DVDs need at maximum?

regards

christoph

Along those lines, is there not a process|daemon(s) that watches some power
supplies and if it thinks that the power supply just said "hey I lost power",
it starts a shutdown???

Gene are you seeing graceful or ungraceful shutdowns?

if graceful, perhaps there is a line near the beginning of the shutdown in
syslog where the daemon mentions getting the out of power signal.

if ungraceful, like christoph said, you are likely just on the edge of out of
power.

graceful=you see all the init scripts indicate they are stopping.
ungraceful=you are left wondering why the room just got quiet all the sudden,
and where the user interface went.

--
Todd Denniston

Old 12-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Robin Laing

Christoph Höger wrote:

I complained to a friend of mine about one of my boxes just shutting down
without any notice. He informed me that this is an issue, in some cases,
with people running Fedora 7. I'm running Fedora 7 x86_64 (AMD X2 64
+5600, 4-GB RAM, nVidia PCIE graphic card, 2 - 320 GB SATA hard drives).
Is there a way to fix this or should I just start my migration to Fedora 8?

Thanks,
Gene Poole
gene.poole@macys.com

Hi,

the first thing I would point at: You've got not enough power (watts)!
With _that_ configuration you could simply run out of power with burning
something and looking/encoding a video or so.
How many W has your power supply? And how many W does your

CPU,GPU,HDs,DVDs need at maximum?

regards

christoph

I am not running a 64 bit machine but I have had numerous power issues
with my computer. Three power supplies later things are working quite
well. Most issues started when trying to burn a DVD, in fact it burnt
out a DVD burner by not supplying enough power for it.

I have had really bad experiences with Antec power supplies and a known
problem with the 5V rail.

I have also had issues with the nvidia graphics driver but not powering
down.

--
Robin Laing

Old 12-07-2007, 06:55 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Robin Laing wrote:
> I am not running a 64 bit machine but I have had numerous power issues
> with my computer. Three power supplies later things are working quite
> well. Most issues started when trying to burn a DVD, in fact it burnt
> out a DVD burner by not supplying enough power for it.
>
> I have had really bad experiences with Antec power supplies and a known
> problem with the 5V rail.

Wow, I bought an ANTEC case w/PS a few years back because I had heard
that they were better than most. What PS is the most reliable if ANTEC
isn't? (I ask because 1 CD/RW and 1 IDE drive has already failed in
that case and another, the boot drive, is showing SMART failures, and I
do suspect the PS as the cause. No problems (yet) with the SATA drives.
PS is 450W).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 12-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Rick Stevens

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 14:55 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
> > I am not running a 64 bit machine but I have had numerous power issues
> > with my computer. Three power supplies later things are working quite
> > well. Most issues started when trying to burn a DVD, in fact it burnt
> > out a DVD burner by not supplying enough power for it.
> >
> > I have had really bad experiences with Antec power supplies and a known
> > problem with the 5V rail.
>
> Wow, I bought an ANTEC case w/PS a few years back because I had heard
> that they were better than most. What PS is the most reliable if ANTEC
> isn't? (I ask because 1 CD/RW and 1 IDE drive has already failed in
> that case and another, the boot drive, is showing SMART failures, and I
> do suspect the PS as the cause. No problems (yet) with the SATA drives.
> PS is 450W).

I use Ultra Products supplies. Several of my machines have the 500W or
600W XPS supplies. Here's a link:

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=52&pPath=510&productID=5 10

- -
- "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya. You `kill -9'-ed my parent -
- process. Prepare to vi." -

Old 12-12-2007, 05:34 AM
Darryl

Gene Poole wrote:

I complained to a friend of mine about one of my boxes just shutting down
without any notice. He informed me that this is an issue, in some cases,
with people running Fedora 7. I'm running Fedora 7 x86_64 (AMD X2 64
+5600, 4-GB RAM, nVidia PCIE graphic card, 2 - 320 GB SATA hard drives).
Is there a way to fix this or should I just start my migration to Fedora 8?

Asus M2V?
BIOS update file for M2V (Version: 2001) 2007/11/14 update
Fix system unstable when GeForce 8 series VGA card installed.