Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Anne Wilson

Default kde kmail

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 12:18:51 roland wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Is there anybody who can tell me where kmail puts the mail.
> I am moving from one server to another and just like to know what the best
> method is.
>
> Just moving the directory of mail(wherever it is) would be the fastest
> way, I think.

Hi, Roland. Classic answer - it depends.... :-)

Is this an imap server? If so, which application is serving the mail? You
may have to check its config file.

If that doesn't apply, then your mail is probably under
~/kde/share/apps/kmail. You will also need config
files - /kde/share/config/....

Anne

Old 08-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Björn Persson

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 August 2008 12:18:51 roland wrote:
> > Is there anybody who can tell me where kmail puts the mail.
>
> If that doesn't apply, then your mail is probably under
> ~/kde/share/apps/kmail. You will also need config
> files - /kde/share/config/....

On my box ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail contains some account data but the actual
mail is in ~/Mail. I don't remember configuring that so it's probably Kmail's
default.

Björn Persson

Old 08-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Claude Jones

On Tue August 5 2008 9:27:23 am Björn Persson wrote:
> On my box ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail contains some account data but the actual
> mail is in ~/Mail. I don't remember configuring that so it's probably
> Kmail's default.

I think you must have configured that somehow. I just went through this on two
boxes. My mail was in /home/[username]/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail on my old
box, and that's where it resides on the new. This is simply what a standard
install did. There are a number of other files in that .kde folder that are
germane to kmail, but are in the /home/[username]/.kde/share/config

So, what Anne said --- probably
--
Claude Jones
Leesburg, VA

Old 08-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Anne Wilson

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 14:27:23 Björn Persson wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 August 2008 12:18:51 roland wrote:
> > > Is there anybody who can tell me where kmail puts the mail.
> >
> > If that doesn't apply, then your mail is probably under
> > ~/kde/share/apps/kmail. You will also need config
> > files - /kde/share/config/....
>
> On my box ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail contains some account data but the actual
> mail is in ~/Mail. I don't remember configuring that so it's probably
> Kmail's default.

It could well be there. It is distro-specific, I think. Mandriva used to put
it in ~/Mail. Also, if there is an imap server it could be configured to put
it in ~/Maildir or some similar name.

Anne