Old 12-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

Default firefox randomly spawning mplayer

Hi all,

I just installed the Firefox update on a Fedora 7 box
(firefox-2.0.0.10-2). While using top, I noticed I had 76 zombie
processes. A little more digging revealed they were all mplayer
related. On a hunch, I closed firefox, and viola, all the zombie
mplayer processes disappeared.

After the update, wen I start firefox, I get a new mplayer spawning
every 30 seconds or so, which then immediately dies. But, I can see it
as a Zombie in the process tree.

What the hell is going on? Has anyone else noticed this?

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.22.9-61.fc6 i686 GNU/Linux

Old 12-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Tim

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 10:52 -0500, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> I just installed the Firefox update on a Fedora 7 box
> (firefox-2.0.0.10-2). While using top, I noticed I had 76 zombie
> processes. A little more digging revealed they were all mplayer
> related. On a hunch, I closed firefox, and viola, all the zombie
> mplayer processes disappeared.

Is it random, or happens after you've been browsing pages which make use
of the mplayer plugin? e.g. Pages with embedded movie clips.

I've seen mplayer abort and not properly quit while playing various
windows media files in the past, I can well imagine that happening from
embedded content, too.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 07:04 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Is it random, or happens after you've been browsing pages which make use
> of the mplayer plugin? e.g. Pages with embedded movie clips.

I start Firefox, mplayer immediately starts to spawn and die.

I got it to stop by changing the permissions on the mplayer plugins to
400. That broke some of the pages I was browsing to (re: couldn't play
embedded media), so restored the permissions and used the one Windows
way: rebooted. All is well now.

Having to reboot to fix a problem is quite perplexing. I thought I left
that shit behind many years ago (I've been using Linux distors since RH
7.2).

Regards,

Ranbir
--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.22.9-61.fc6 i686 GNU/Linux
10:14:53 up 21 days, 8:46, 1 user, load average: 1.61, 1.17, 0.87

Old 12-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Robin Laing

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

Is it random, or happens after you've been browsing pages which make use
of the mplayer plugin? e.g. Pages with embedded movie clips.

I start Firefox, mplayer immediately starts to spawn and die.

I got it to stop by changing the permissions on the mplayer plugins to
400. That broke some of the pages I was browsing to (re: couldn't play
embedded media), so restored the permissions and used the one Windows
way: rebooted. All is well now.

Having to reboot to fix a problem is quite perplexing. I thought I left
that shit behind many years ago (I've been using Linux distors since RH
7.2).

Regards,

Ranbir

Did you check with PS to see if there was an mplayer running in the
background that was associated with firefox?

Did you check to see what was open from a previous session?

I ask this as I have come across times where mplayer is classified as
being open, playing some file from a few days before.

The reboot would have killed this process but so would have a kill command.

--
Robin Laing

Old 12-08-2007, 03:50 AM
Tim

Tim:
>> Is it random, or happens after you've been browsing pages which make use
>> of the mplayer plugin? e.g. Pages with embedded movie clips.

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu:
> I start Firefox, mplayer immediately starts to spawn and die.

Do you have a homepage set? Does it include multi-media?

Do you have an mplayer plug-in, and is Firefox set to check for updates
to plug-ins at start up? Though I'd suspect that's start something
else, not mplayer itself.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.