Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Per Anton Ronning

Default F 9 problems to install

I was asked not to hijack another thread, instead I ought to start a new
one, which I now do. Sorry - my mistake.

I now reply to both Mikkel and Alan:

Mikkel:
> It didn't halt - it switched to the GUI display, but > your monitor
could not display the video it was

> receiving.

OK. But the installation itself was GUI-based, so that must have
confused me into thinking that X windows was working.

Alan:

Odd.. when you say "does not find" what occurs ?

THIS HAPPENS:
from root: setup
The box "Choose a Tool" comes up, at the bottom I find "X configuration"

Running this option I see a flash of the text "Cannot find X ..:" before the screen goes black and "out of range" appears.
Esc brings me back to the toolbox.

from root - startx:
No devices detected
No screens found
and a message telling "unable to connect to X server"

Per Anton Ronning wrote:

I bought the August '08 issue of Linux Format with an F 9
DVD.
I have also bought a new machine (made to order by an internet based
vendor, and no op.sys. installed)
The installation procedure seemed to go OK, except for one thing: I
was not asked to create a user account.

When rebooting after the "Congratulations" screen, the PC stopped.
("Enabling /etc/fstab swaps" was the last [OK] message before it halted.)
My 22" CHIMEI CMV223D LCD screen went black and the message "out of
range" appeared, according to the vendor this means that it has got a
signal which it is unable to process.

The display driver is NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT.

It didn't halt - it switched to the GUI display, but your monitor could
not display the video it was receiving.

From the Linux Format forum I got the tip to boot at runlevel 3,
which I did, and then I reached the login prompt. Since the
installation procedure did not ask me to specify a user name (blank
was not recognized) I logged on to root. which went OK. Now things
seemed normal in character mode.

I typed "setup" and got a setup which included X.
I tried to configure, but the display driver models did not include
CHIMEI or CMV223D anywhere, so then I thought I would have to try
at random.

The display driver is for the video card, NOT the monitor.

I did, and that went wrong. Now it does not find X11 at all.
(Lesson: Do not run experiments at random)
I guess I can take care of this by reinstalling F 9, if everything
else fails.

Boot into run level 3, and run setup again, or run system-config-display.

Does anyone know why I am not asked to create a user account?

That part of setup is normally down on first boot, but you did not see
it. You can use the useradd command to add one from the command line.
THere is a GUI to do it as well, byt you have to have X working.

Mikkel

Old 08-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Per Anton Ronning

I connected my former CRT to the new PC, and then I got a GUI screen -
sort of. It is distorted and messy, and the cursor arrow is not always
obeying the mouse, and it leaves "marks" in the background color like
an eraser in a drawing tool.

It obviously needs some configuration.
I managed via <alt>F1 to open the menu, and I tried out some screen
settings and screwed up the screen by chosing the wrong m x n setting.
Then it is not easy to get back since the screen is unreadable. The
NVIDIA is now set to vesa.

So I got a small step ahead, but not much.
I cannot even remember which config file is containing the
n x m setting - such problems are very seldom, so I forget.
But as far as I can see now, the whole thing boils down to a screen
config problem, so I would be grateful for some pointers in the right
direction from those of you who have installed F 9.

Regards
PAR

Per Anton Ronning wrote:

I bought the August '08 issue of Linux Format with an F 9
DVD.
I have also bought a new machine (made to order by an internet based
vendor, and no op.sys. installed)
The installation procedure seemed to go OK, except for one thing: I
was not asked to create a user account.

When rebooting after the "Congratulations" screen, the PC stopped.
("Enabling /etc/fstab swaps" was the last [OK] message before it
halted.)
My 22" CHIMEI CMV223D LCD screen went black and the message "out of
range" appeared, according to the vendor this means that it has got a
signal which it is unable to process.

The display driver is NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT.

It didn't halt - it switched to the GUI display, but your monitor
could not display the video it was receiving.

From the Linux Format forum I got the tip to boot at runlevel 3,

Old 08-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Beartooth

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 11:29:38 +0200, Per Anton Ronning wrote:

> THIS HAPPENS:
> from root: setup
> The box "Choose a Tool" comes up, at the bottom I find "X configuration"
>
> Running this option I see a flash of the text "Cannot find X ..:" before
> the screen goes black and "out of range" appears. Esc brings me back to
> the toolbox.
>
> from root - startx:
> No devices detected
> No screens found
> and a message telling "unable to connect to X server"

[...]
>> My 22" CHIMEI CMV223D
>> LCD screen went black and the message "out of range" appeared,
>> according to the vendor this means that it has got a signal which it is
>> unable to process. The display driver is NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT.
>>
> It didn't halt - it switched to the GUI display, but your monitor could
> not display the video it was receiving.
>
>> From the Linux Format forum I got the tip to boot at runlevel 3,
>> which I did, and then I reached the login prompt. Since the
>> installation procedure did not ask me to specify a user name (blank was
>> not recognized) I logged on to root. which went OK. Now things seemed
>> normal in character mode.
>> I typed "setup" and got a setup which included X. I tried to configure,
>> but the display driver models did not include CHIMEI or CMV223D
>> anywhere, so then I thought I would have to try at random.
[...]
> The display driver is for the video card, NOT the monitor.
[...]
> Boot into run level 3, and run setup again, or run
> system-config-display.

I had a lot of trouble, and got heaps of invaluable advice here,
with the display on a different (HP) 22" LCD monitor, and I think a
different video card, back in June. I'm not sure exactly how similar the
situations are, but that "out of range" message and the others got
woefully familiar for a while -- and they were all eventually licked.

If you haven't gotten it whupped in the meanwhile, you might want
to skim through threads here that I started during June and that look
relevant -- one on F9 display iirc, one called "Wide, flat, and weird,"
and one or two more. Look mainly at the responses, and try some of the
things they suggested to me to try. init3 and system-config-display,
which you've already gotten, were in there; so iirc was a lot of editing
of /etc/X11/xorg.conf ....

Hint: in case you're following the list by email, do "yum install
pan," set pan to get news.gmane.org, and take a look at
gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general, which is this same list served up for
your newsreader (Pan, probably 0.132 or 0.133). That makes it easy to
sort and re-sort several ways, has a good search function, and is very
good for skimming. You can also "watch" (i.e., highlight) threads.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
nine (count 'em -- nine) different browsers

Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Per Anton Ronning

Hi Beartooth:
Okei, I solved it. I hooked up my old CRT and it processed the signals
- although the screen was messy.
I found out after some experimenting that the problem boiled down to the
resolution setting.

The F 9 setup offered two alternatives: 640 x 480 and 800 x 600.
640 x 480 produced a clear picture, 800 x 600 produced "out of range".
I guess 800 x 600 was the default setting when I fired up the PC
the first time.
On my invoice for the machine the screen is listed as 1680 x 1050,
but it seems that F 9 only has the 2 alternatives listed above.
Why this is so I don't know. On my old PC is running Fedora Core 5, and
when I hook up the new LCD (the 2 PC's share one screen, keyboard and
mouse via a KVM swith - very convenient) i get the 2 alternative
resolutions under F 5 as well.

Now, since we are talking I have another question:
I did install F 9 with both Gnome and KDE. Gnome is (as before) the
default, but I have not yet found out how to switch to KDE.

(I sort of like KDE, I have gotten used to it)
It used to be the login screen, but not any more, it seems. Linux
Format (where I got the F 9 DVD) does not mention anything about how to
switch, and that is (so far) the only F 9 documentation I have.

Brgds
PAR

Beartooth wrote:

The box "Choose a Tool" comes up, at the bottom I find "X configuration"

Running this option I see a flash of the text "Cannot find X ..:" before
the screen goes black and "out of range" appears. Esc brings me back to
the toolbox.

from root - startx:
No devices detected
No screens found
and a message telling "unable to connect to X server"

[...]

My 22" CHIMEI CMV223D
LCD screen went black and the message "out of range" appeared,
according to the vendor this means that it has got a signal which it is
unable to process. The display driver is NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT.

It didn't halt - it switched to the GUI display, but your monitor could
not display the video it was receiving.

From the Linux Format forum I got the tip to boot at runlevel 3,

Old 08-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Nigel Henry

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 11:27, Per Anton Ronning wrote:
> Hi Beartooth:
> Okei, I solved it. I hooked up my old CRT and it processed the signals
> - although the screen was messy.
> I found out after some experimenting that the problem boiled down to the
> resolution setting.
> The F 9 setup offered two alternatives: 640 x 480 and 800 x 600.
> 640 x 480 produced a clear picture, 800 x 600 produced "out of range".
> I guess 800 x 600 was the default setting when I fired up the PC
> the first time.
> On my invoice for the machine the screen is listed as 1680 x 1050,
> but it seems that F 9 only has the 2 alternatives listed above.
> Why this is so I don't know. On my old PC is running Fedora Core 5, and
> when I hook up the new LCD (the 2 PC's share one screen, keyboard and
> mouse via a KVM swith - very convenient) i get the 2 alternative
> resolutions under F 5 as well.
>
> Now, since we are talking I have another question:
> I did install F 9 with both Gnome and KDE. Gnome is (as before) the
> default, but I have not yet found out how to switch to KDE.
> (I sort of like KDE, I have gotten used to it)
> It used to be the login screen, but not any more, it seems. Linux
> Format (where I got the F 9 DVD) does not mention anything about how to
> switch, and that is (so far) the only F 9 documentation I have.
>
> Brgds
> PAR

Hi Par. This is probably too obvious, but don't you have a bar at the bottom
of the login screen, with the language, and session option buttons?

Nigel.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Per Anton Ronning

Nigel Henry wrote:

[...]

That is what I was expecting, but the only options are:
Suspend, Restart, Shut Down, and none of these bring up any choice of
desktop environment (I have tried them all)

"Session" is not there - it was present in FC 5 though.
But it may be among the system settings, I'll keep looking.

Brgds
PAR

Old 08-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Carroll Grigsby

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 07:43:24 am Per Anton Ronning wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 August 2008 11:27, Per Anton Ronning wrote:
> >> Hi Beartooth:
> >> Okei, I solved it. I hooked up my old CRT and it processed the signals
> >> - although the screen was messy.
> >> I found out after some experimenting that the problem boiled down to the
> >> resolution setting.
> >> The F 9 setup offered two alternatives: 640 x 480 and 800 x 600.
> >> 640 x 480 produced a clear picture, 800 x 600 produced "out of range".
> >> I guess 800 x 600 was the default setting when I fired up the PC
> >> the first time.
> >> On my invoice for the machine the screen is listed as 1680 x 1050,
> >> but it seems that F 9 only has the 2 alternatives listed above.
> >> Why this is so I don't know. On my old PC is running Fedora Core 5, and
> >> when I hook up the new LCD (the 2 PC's share one screen, keyboard and
> >> mouse via a KVM swith - very convenient) i get the 2 alternative
> >> resolutions under F 5 as well.
> >>
> >> Now, since we are talking I have another question:
> >> I did install F 9 with both Gnome and KDE. Gnome is (as before) the
> >> default, but I have not yet found out how to switch to KDE.
> >> (I sort of like KDE, I have gotten used to it)
> >> It used to be the login screen, but not any more, it seems. Linux
> >> Format (where I got the F 9 DVD) does not mention anything about how to
> >> switch, and that is (so far) the only F 9 documentation I have.
> >>
> >> Brgds
> >> PAR
> >
> > Hi Par. This is probably too obvious, but don't you have a bar at the
> > bottom of the login screen, with the language, and session option
> > buttons?
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> That is what I was expecting, but the only options are:
> Suspend, Restart, Shut Down, and none of these bring up any choice of
> desktop environment (I have tried them all)
> "Session" is not there - it was present in FC 5 though.
> But it may be among the system settings, I'll keep looking.
>
> Brgds
> PAR

You will need to install switchdesk (and probably switchdesk-gui) if you have
not already done so. (My recollection is that switchdesk is not installed be
default in F9). The option to chose the desktop doesn't appear in the login
screen until after you have entered your username, but before you enter the
password; it appears in a bar at the bottom of the screen.

-- cmg

Old 08-06-2008, 03:00 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 10:38 -0400, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 August 2008 07:43:24 am Per Anton Ronning wrote:
> > Nigel Henry wrote:

> > > Hi Par. This is probably too obvious, but don't you have a bar at the
> > > bottom of the login screen, with the language, and session option
> > > buttons?
> > >
> > > Nigel.
> >
> > That is what I was expecting, but the only options are:
> > Suspend, Restart, Shut Down, and none of these bring up any choice of
> > desktop environment (I have tried them all)
> > "Session" is not there - it was present in FC 5 though.
> > But it may be among the system settings, I'll keep looking.
> >
> > Brgds
> > PAR
>
> You will need to install switchdesk (and probably switchdesk-gui) if you have
> not already done so. (My recollection is that switchdesk is not installed be
> default in F9). The option to chose the desktop doesn't appear in the login
> screen until after you have entered your username, but before you enter the
> password; it appears in a bar at the bottom of the screen.

It's not actually necessary to install switchdesk. You can simply edit a
config file, e.g.:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/desktop
#!/bin/sh
DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
#

Followed by "init 3; init 5".

Also, the mechanics of choosing which desktop to run in a given session
depend on the Display Manager (usually kdm or gdm).

poc

Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Per Anton Ronning

Carroll Grigsby wrote:

[...]

Thats right, it appears at the bottom of the screen, where you can
choose between Gnome and KDE. It did not catch my eye until you
mentioned it.

(My eyes stand in the way of eyesight)
So, I chose KDE, but it did not take effect. I still got the Gnome
desktop after login.

PAR

Old 08-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Beartooth

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:56:40 +0200, Per Anton Ronning wrote:
[...]
> That's right, it appears at the bottom of the screen, where you can
> choose between Gnome and KDE. It did not catch my eye until you
> mentioned it.
> (My eyes stand in the way of eyesight) So, I chose KDE, but it did not
> take effect. I still got the Gnome desktop after login.

Are you using yum, pirut, or gpk (gnome-packagekit) to add and
remove software, or some combination?

On one machine recently, I found at an early stage that pirut
showed KDE not installed at all; but I use Konqueror, K3B, and one or two
others often. So I told it to install it; I could swear all I did was
checkmark KDE and go through its list of options, as I've always done.

I have taken to rebooting fairly often when I do much adding &
removing, as a precaution -- if anything awful happens that will only
show up on a reboot, then I see it while I remember what I'd been doing.
It paid off heavily in this instance : I couldn't get to gnome!

I did get to pirut, and discovered that all of gnome had somehow
gotten unchecked.

I also made triple sure before closing pirut that both KDE and
Gnome were checked, and that I had switchdesk.

(Pirut is no longer the default for add/remove in F9; another
alternative is synaptic.)

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.27, Firefox 2.0