Old 08-05-2008, 08:18 AM
William Case

Default Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !?

Hi;

I have been delving into (messing around with) my network connections
and now I can't get Network Manger or my browsers to work.

This post attests to the fact that there is some physical connection to
my ISP cable connection and my eth0 is active; xchat and FM Radio on
Rhythmbox work.

On booting, NetworkManager is listed as 'failed' -- "setting
NetworkManger waiting for network - failed". Then,

"httpd: could not reliably determine the servers fully qualified domain
name using 127.0.0.1 for server name."

]$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1A:92:E5C:47
inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::21a:92ff:fee5:dc47/64 Scope:Link

I was screwing around, experimenting, with the system-control-network
gui -- incorrectly added stuff to the 'hosts' page and saved. I got a
message to the effect 'we will save this stuff, but we are going to
disconnect you for badness". I was duly disconnected.

I have removed the 'bad stuff' from /etc/hosts and saved.

hosts now reads :
127.0.0.1 CASE localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

As it did when everything was working.

What am I missing? Where do I find it? Where is my DNS or whatever?
Why is there no help for the Network manager? Why is the 'Edit
Connections' on the Network Manager blank? And what does
NetworkManager Tool really mean?

]$ nm-tool

State: disconnected

- Device: eth0
Type: Wired
Driver: forcedeth
State: unmanaged
HW Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00

Capabilities:
Supported: yes
Carrier Detect: yes
Speed: 100 Mb/s

Wired Settings

How can I fill these in from the command line?

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3

Old 08-05-2008, 01:57 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 04:18 -0400, William Case wrote:
> "httpd: could not reliably determine the servers fully qualified
> domain name using 127.0.0.1 for server name."

Bill, you do realize that 127.0.0.1 is localhost, right? I don't know
what your problem is, but I would start from there.

poc

Old 08-05-2008, 04:06 PM
"bruce"

hi william...

the config stuff for your eth/nics should be in the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts dir..

i know nothing about the network-manager app...

peace

Old 08-05-2008, 06:07 PM
William Case

Hi Patrick
On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 09:27 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 04:18 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > "httpd: could not reliably determine the servers fully qualified
> > domain name using 127.0.0.1 for server name."
>
> Bill, you do realize that 127.0.0.1 is localhost, right? I don't know
> what your problem is, but I would start from there.

Yes. This was part of a self-imposed network learning exercise, so I
had already learnt the importance of 127.0.0.1 loopback.

First problem; my 'hosts' file backup was recovered. So I think that was
what I had. Every manual and the file itself said don't touch this file.
I touched it. Did I get it back to its original shape? I tried
replacing 127.0.0.1 with 192.168.1.3 which 'ifconfig' and 'hostname -va'
say is my inet addr. (Why it is not 192.168.1.1 is a question for
another day).

My ifcfg-eth0 script says:
# nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:1a:92:e5:dc:47
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=CASE
NM_CONTROLLED=no
TYPE=Ethernet
DNS1=192.168.1.1

'route' also lists the default as 192.168.1.1 not xxx.xxx.x.3

When I look at the NetworkManager 'thingy' (Is thingy spelt 'thingy' or
'thingie'?) there is a whole bunch of blank fields. Learning what to
put in those fields was the point of the exercise. I had assumed that
the gui fields would reflect the data in a configuration file somewhere
but it apparently doesn't.

Second problem; I originally used the system-control-network thingy.
Both were on my administration menu. I understand now that that has been
deprecated in favour of system-config-network. Could that have messed
things up?

This is getting frustrating. I have always let various frontends in
both Linux and other OSes set up my internet. The first time I dive in,
reality does not seem to match the manuals and textbooks.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3

Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

William Case wrote:

First problem; my 'hosts' file backup was recovered. So I think that was
what I had. Every manual and the file itself said don't touch this file.
I touched it. Did I get it back to its original shape? I tried
replacing 127.0.0.1 with 192.168.1.3 which 'ifconfig' and 'hostname -va'
say is my inet addr. (Why it is not 192.168.1.1 is a question for
another day).

My ifcfg-eth0 script says:
# nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:1a:92:e5:dc:47
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=CASE
NM_CONTROLLED=no
TYPE=Ethernet
DNS1=192.168.1.1

'route' also lists the default as 192.168.1.1 not xxx.xxx.x.3

If you are using DHCP, you usually do not want to specify your name
servers. (DNS1)

Also, your default route should point to your gateway to the
Internet. If you are using a firewall/router, it should point to
that address.

You may also want to look at /etc/resolv.conf and see what name
server(s) you have listed.

I don't remember if you said, gut is your problem that you can not
connect using host names, but you can using IP addresses?

Also, is the network service running, or the NetworkManager service
running? Because the way you have ifcfg-eth0, it does not look like
NetworkManager is controlling it.

service network status
service NetworkManager status

Mikkel

Old 08-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 09:27 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 04:18 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > "httpd: could not reliably determine the servers fully qualified
> > domain name using 127.0.0.1 for server name."
>
> Bill, you do realize that 127.0.0.1 is localhost, right? I don't know
> what your problem is, but I would start from there.

I don't have the context, but if 127.0.0.1 is the nameserver
(in /etc/resolv.conf), then are you running a caching nameserver on your
own machine? That's the usual reason for 127.0.0.1 to be the
nameserver.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 PM
William Case

Hi Mikkel, Patrick and others

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 13:29 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> William Case wrote:
>
> > First problem; my 'hosts' file backup was recovered. So I think that was
> > what I had. Every manual and the file itself said don't touch this file.
> > I touched it. Did I get it back to its original shape? I tried
> > replacing 127.0.0.1 with 192.168.1.3 which 'ifconfig' and 'hostname -va'
> > say is my inet addr. (Why it is not 192.168.1.1 is a question for
> > another day).
> >
> > My ifcfg-eth0 script says:
> > # nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller
> > DEVICE=eth0
> > BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> > HWADDR=00:1a:92:e5:dc:47
> > ONBOOT=yes
> > DHCP_HOSTNAME=CASE
> > NM_CONTROLLED=no
> > TYPE=Ethernet
> > DNS1=192.168.1.1
> >
> > 'route' also lists the default as 192.168.1.1 not xxx.xxx.x.3
> >
> If you are using DHCP, you usually do not want to specify your name
> servers. (DNS1)
>
> Also, your default route should point to your gateway to the
> Internet. If you are using a firewall/router, it should point to
> that address.
>
> You may also want to look at /etc/resolv.conf and see what name
> server(s) you have listed.
>
> I don't remember if you said, gut is your problem that you can not
> connect using host names, but you can using IP addresses?

That is what seems to b happening. Xchat works and Evo starts off-line,
but works when I put it back online it works fine. My browsers don't
work at all. I get warnings to try again; that they are offline but
won't go back online.

> Also, is the network service running, or the NetworkManager service
> running? Because the way you have ifcfg-eth0, it does not look like
> NetworkManager is controlling it.
>
> service network status
> service NetworkManager status

]$ service network status
Configured devices:
lo eth0
Currently active devices:
lo eth0
]$ service NetworkManager status
NetworkManager (pid 2442) is running...

]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
nameserver 192.168.1.1

Re-read man resolv.conf "
" On a normally configured system this file should not be necessary. The
only name server to be queried will be on the local machine; the
domain name is determined from the host name and the domain search
path is constructed from the domain name."

So who or what is 192.168.1.1? Can it be my cheapo router? My
household network is simple. Cat5 lines leading from ever room in the
house (bought the house that way) to the router; three computers in
different rooms connected to the router; the router connected to the
cable modem; and, out.

> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list@redhat.com
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3
Evo.2.22.3.1, Emacs 22.2.1

Old 08-05-2008, 07:13 PM
"bruce"

the 192.168.1.1 in your resolv.conf file is the dns server that the server
is using to resolve any domain names...

comment out the dns1 entry in your eth conf file.. and restart by doing
ifdown/ifup xxx whatever your eth/nic is...

you should be ok..

> [...]

lo eth0
Currently active devices:
lo eth0
]$ service NetworkManager status
NetworkManager (pid 2442) is running...

]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
nameserver 192.168.1.1

Re-read man resolv.conf "
" On a normally configured system this file should not be necessary. The
only name server to be queried will be on the local machine; the
domain name is determined from the host name and the domain search
path is constructed from the domain name."

So who or what is 192.168.1.1? Can it be my cheapo router? My
household network is simple. Cat5 lines leading from ever room in the
house (bought the house that way) to the router; three computers in
different rooms connected to the router; the router connected to the

Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3
Evo.2.22.3.1, Emacs 22.2.1

Old 08-05-2008, 07:42 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

William Case wrote:

Hi Mikkel, Patrick and others

]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
nameserver 192.168.1.1

Re-read man resolv.conf "
" On a normally configured system this file should not be necessary. The
only name server to be queried will be on the local machine; the
domain name is determined from the host name and the domain search
path is constructed from the domain name."

So who or what is 192.168.1.1? Can it be my cheapo router? My
household network is simple. Cat5 lines leading from ever room in the
house (bought the house that way) to the router; three computers in
different rooms connected to the router; the router connected to the
cable modem; and, out.

You set it to 192.168.1.1 with the "DNS1=192.168.1.1" line in
ifcfg-eth0. This overrides what ever your router is sending out as
part of the DHCP information. As Bruce said, comment it out, or
remove it, and restart the interface.

If that does not do the trick, then check your router setup. It is
possible to set up a router so it gives out the wrong DNS server
information though the default setting normally work fine.

Mikkel

Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
William Case

Sorry Bruce;

I don't mean to be obtuse, but ...
On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 12:13 -0700, bruce wrote:
> the 192.168.1.1 in your resolv.conf file is the dns server that the server
> is using to resolve any domain names...
>
> comment out the dns1 entry in your eth conf file.. and restart by doing
> ifdown/ifup xxx whatever your eth/nic is...
>
> you should be ok..

But I can't find anything close to a eth conf file. The closest is
'/etc/dhclient-eth0.conf' and that is obviously not it.

Found two ifcfg-eth0:
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0 , and,
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0

Each has a DNS1 referrence
Are these the eth conf files you are referring two, and if so, which do
I comment out? Or both? Why two and not a link?
[snip]

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3