Old 08-05-2008, 07:58 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Default Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !?

William Case wrote:

Sorry Bruce;

I don't mean to be obtuse, but ...
On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 12:13 -0700, bruce wrote:

the 192.168.1.1 in your resolv.conf file is the dns server that the server
is using to resolve any domain names...

comment out the dns1 entry in your eth conf file.. and restart by doing
ifdown/ifup xxx whatever your eth/nic is...

you should be ok..

But I can't find anything close to a eth conf file. The closest is
'/etc/dhclient-eth0.conf' and that is obviously not it.

Found two ifcfg-eth0:
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0 , and,

/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0

Each has a DNS1 referrence
Are these the eth conf files you are referring two, and if so, which do
I comment out? Or both? Why two and not a link?
[snip]
That is the file he was talking about. They are actually the same
file. There is just more then one directory entry pointing to it.
(Take a look at the ln command.) When you edit one, you are in
effect editing both of them, unless you use an editor that saves the
original file as a backup file, and writes a new one.

Mikkel

Old 08-05-2008, 09:43 PM
William Case

Hi;

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 14:42 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Hi Mikkel, Patrick and others
[snip]

No Joy!
> You set it to 192.168.1.1 with the "DNS1=192.168.1.1" line in
> ifcfg-eth0. This overrides what ever your router is sending out as
> part of the DHCP information. As Bruce said, comment it out, or
> remove it, and restart the interface.

Did as Bruce suggested. Still acts the same.
(Apologies to Bruce for not reading his post more closely. Frustration
I guess)

I found the following:
/etc/hosts correct as I had changed back to 127.0.0.1

]# ifdown eth0 gave me a SELinux warning in permissive mode
]# ifup eth0

Determining IP information for eth0...dhclient(4380) is already running
- exiting.

This version of ISC DHCP is based on the release available
on ftp.isc.org. Features have been added and other changes
have been made to the base software release in order to make
it work better with this distribution.

Please report for this software via the Red Hat Bugzilla site:
http://bugzilla.redhat.com

exiting.
failed.

On rebooting network failed.
After rebooting:
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts contained the old error
(192.168.1.3 rather than 127.0.0.1)
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0 contained the old
error (DNS1)
etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 contained the old error
(DNS1)

Corrected them manually. Rebooted. Still no joy.

Boinc and xchat work with no problem.
Evo starts offline. But when put online it works.
Neither FireFox nor Epiphany work.

> If that does not do the trick, then check your router setup. It is
> possible to set up a router so it gives out the wrong DNS server
> information though the default setting normally work fine.

Don't know I how to check my router setup or how to reset it
programmatically. I can push the reset button or unplug it.

]# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
Iface
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
eth0
169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0
eth0
0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0
eth0

The 169.254.0.0 presumably is my ISP (Rogers Cable).

What now?
--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3

Old 08-05-2008, 10:06 PM
"bruce"

hi william.

ok. for now, can you turn off/disable selinux...

and then reboot the box if you can... i want to start fresh on this.

as i understand this, you're running dhcp, right? where is the dhcp server
located?

bruce

Old 08-05-2008, 10:27 PM
William Case

Hi Bruce;

I would like to start fresh on this too. I am using it as a great way
to climb in. read, etc. the networking nitty-gritty. Unfortunately I
have to leave right now for 2 or 3 hours. Ironically, for my local LUG
meeting.

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 15:06 -0700, bruce wrote:
> hi william.
>
> ok. for now, can you turn off/disable selinux...

When I return I will turn off SELinux. I have just shut everything down
and manually reset my cable modem and router. I.e climbed up on the
basement freezer unplugged them; waited for a minute; and, re-plugged
them. So when I get back everything should be virgin for a fresh start.

> and then reboot the box if you can... i want to start fresh on this.

And reboot.

> as i understand this, you're running dhcp, right? where is the dhcp server
> located?

As dumb as this may sound, I don't know. One of things I was doing was
looking for my actual real domainname server and my DHCP server (If they
exist on my machine or router). Never did find them because I got
sidetracked on this problem.

I will be happy to work through a solution with you. I am not DESPERATE
to get things working by just button pushing. I would like to know why
they broke and how they got fixed.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3

Old 08-05-2008, 10:45 PM
"Raymond C. Rodgers"

William Case wrote:

Hi;

I have been delving into (messing around with) my network connections
and now I can't get Network Manger or my browsers to work.

This post attests to the fact that there is some physical connection to
my ISP cable connection and my eth0 is active; xchat and FM Radio on
Rhythmbox work.

On booting, NetworkManager is listed as 'failed' -- "setting
NetworkManger waiting for network - failed". Then,

"httpd: could not reliably determine the servers fully qualified domain
name using 127.0.0.1 for server name."

]$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1A:92:E5C:47
inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: fe80::21a:92ff:fee5:dc47/64 Scope:Link

I was screwing around, experimenting, with the system-control-network
gui -- incorrectly added stuff to the 'hosts' page and saved. I got a
message to the effect 'we will save this stuff, but we are going to
disconnect you for badness". I was duly disconnected.

I have removed the 'bad stuff' from /etc/hosts and saved.

hosts now reads :
127.0.0.1 CASE localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

As it did when everything was working.

What am I missing? Where do I find it? Where is my DNS or whatever?
Why is there no help for the Network manager? Why is the 'Edit
Connections' on the Network Manager blank? And what does
NetworkManager Tool really mean?

]$ nm-tool

State: disconnected

- Device: eth0
Type: Wired
Driver: forcedeth
State: unmanaged
HW Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00

Capabilities:
Supported: yes
Carrier Detect: yes
Speed: 100 Mb/s

Wired Settings

How can I fill these in from the command line?

This is a very improbable long shot, but worth checking any ways. In the
system-config-network control preflet, see if you can find a checkbox
that says something like "Managed by NetworkManager" and make sure it's
checked. I was in the system-config-network panel one day to add a hosts
file entry and suddenly lost network connectivity afterwards. After
poking at it for an hour I found that settting had been unchecked some
how. Although I doubt that's it in your case, I hope it's something
equally simple.

Raymond

Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

William Case wrote:

[...]

169.254.0.0 is the "zero config" network. It lets machines discover
other machines on the network when it work correctly...

The usual way to check/change settings on the router is to open the
web browser to http://192.168.1.1 and log in. This should be covered
by the router manual. Unplugging the router will not change anything
- the settings are saved. On most home routers, pressing the reset
button also does not reset the router. You have to hold it in for
anything from 10 seconds to a full minute. This prevents accidental
resets.

You also want to be careful when you unplug the modem and the
router. Depending on the setup, you sometimes have to let the modem
go through it startup tests and indicate ready before powering up
the router. My Netgear router is not happy if I power them up at the
same time - I have to wait tell the router to try again, or wait
until it does it by itself. I think it take something like 5 minutes
after the first series of timeouts while the modem comes up. (It is
a slow DSL modem, at least as far as startup goes.)

Mikkel

Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:
This is a very improbable long shot, but worth checking any ways. In the
system-config-network control preflet, see if you can find a checkbox
that says something like "Managed by NetworkManager" and make sure it's
checked. I was in the system-config-network panel one day to add a hosts
file entry and suddenly lost network connectivity afterwards. After
poking at it for an hour I found that settting had been unchecked some
how. Although I doubt that's it in your case, I hope it's something
equally simple.

Raymond

From his posted ifcfg-eth0, I suspect that it is not managed by NM.
There is a line "NM_CONTROLLED=no" in there.

Mikkel

Old 08-06-2008, 03:53 AM
William Case

Hi Mikkel;

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 17:56 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> William Case wrote:
[snip]
> The usual way to check/change settings on the router is to open the
> web browser to http://192.168.1.1 and log in. This should be covered
> by the router manual.

Neat trick. I will copy and save that one.

Although my browsers don't work externally they did find
http://192.168.1.1 which gave me a setup page. I didn't change anything
but here is the output:

LAN
IP Address 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server Enabled Firewall Enabled

INFORMATION
System Time 2008/08/05 21:28:28
System Boot Up Time 00000 days 05:17:37
Connected Clients 3
Runtime Code Version V2.00.0042
Boot Code Version V2.00.32
LAN MAC Address 00-40-F4-91-17-8C
WAN MAC Address 00-40-F4-91-17-8D

I assume the LAN MAC Address is the address that faces inward towards my
Local Area Network of 3 computers and the WAN MAC Address is what is
given to the wider world. In my case, the wider world would be
rogers.com, which in turn have their own DHCP server and DNS. Do I have
that correct?

> Unplugging the router will not change anything
> - the settings are saved. On most home routers, pressing the reset
> button also does not reset the router. You have to hold it in for
> anything from 10 seconds to a full minute. This prevents accidental
> resets.

It should work for me. Rogers.com went through a spot a year or so ago
when their system kept losing the address and I, and others had to
unplug in order to reset. You are right it took over a minute of no
power to reset the router and another couple of minutes for the flashing
lights on the cable modem to settle down. But unplugging then always
got things going again. They seemed to this time, but alas, to no
effect on my current problem.

I am impressed that my little $10.95 AOpen router has its own program
and setup. I had assumed that it was all cached somewhere in my
machines memory somehow.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3

Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

William Case wrote:

[...]

Hmm, yes, that is correct. But, I don't see any WAN information here.
If the outward side of your router is not configured, you're not going
to get too far beyond it.... The WAN MAC address is the hardware
address of the ethernet connection on the outward side of your router.
But, without a WAN IP address (assumably given by a Rogers DHCP server)
you are as good as disconnected from the Internet.

Unplugging the router will not change anything
- the settings are saved. On most home routers, pressing the reset
button also does not reset the router. You have to hold it in for
anything from 10 seconds to a full minute. This prevents accidental
resets.

It should work for me. Rogers.com went through a spot a year or so ago
when their system kept losing the address and I, and others had to
unplug in order to reset. You are right it took over a minute of no
power to reset the router and another couple of minutes for the flashing
lights on the cable modem to settle down. But unplugging then always
got things going again. They seemed to this time, but alas, to no
effect on my current problem.

Unplugging your router and re-plugging it in would have the effect of
re-prompting Rogers for an IP address via DHCP on the outward side.
I can't say from what you've provided whether the problem is with your
router or with Rogers. You *did* pay your last cable bill, right?

B^)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 08-06-2008, 05:14 AM

William Case wrote:
<snip>
> LAN
> IP Address 192.168.1.1
> Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
> DHCP Server Enabled Firewall Enabled
>
> INFORMATION
> System Time 2008/08/05 21:28:28
> System Boot Up Time 00000 days 05:17:37
> Connected Clients 3
> Runtime Code Version V2.00.0042
> Boot Code Version V2.00.32
> LAN MAC Address 00-40-F4-91-17-8C
> WAN MAC Address 00-40-F4-91-17-8D

mac address is a hardware code address placed by manufacturer of
your nic [network interface card] or router.

to have 2 mac addresses with sequential addressing means that you have
a dual purpose card/router. possible wired and wireless.

what is model of system? have you check oem site for a manual?

most oems will have information available in pdf format. model numbers
can be grouped as a series.

> I assume the LAN MAC Address is the address that faces inward towards my
> Local Area Network of 3 computers and the WAN MAC Address is what is
> given to the wider world. In my case, the wider world would be
> rogers.com, which in turn have their own DHCP server and DNS. Do I have
> that correct?

maybe. again depends on what system is.

> I am impressed that my little $10.95 AOpen router has its own program
> and setup. I had assumed that it was all cached somewhere in my
> machines memory somehow.

aopen can be found at http://global.aopen.com/
downloads are at http://download.aopen.com.tw/

most good systems use embedded cpu, rom firmware, flash ram, or solid
state disk.

cheaper will have an msbsos cd that has to be used.

- --

tc,hago.

.