Old 08-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Gerhard Magnus

Default mounting external usb drives: solved

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 22:49 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > The setup I had for my 2 external usb hard drives that worked in FC8
> > seems to be restricting use of these drives to root in FC9.
> >
> > I added the directories /mnt/usb_232GB and /mnt/usb_93B and altered the
> > fstab to include these lines:
> >
> > /dev/sdd1 /mnt/usb_232GB auto user,auto 0 0
> > /dev/sde1 /mnt/usb_93GB auto user,auto 0 0
> >
> > Both drives have been formatted as ext3. I can access both but can't
> > write to them except as root. How can I make them write-accessible to
> > all users?
> >
> You have to set the permissions *after* the USB is mounted, then change
> the directory mode to 777, or for some tiny bit of sanity 1777:
> chmod 1777 /mnt/usb_93GB
>
> Now, having given you that, I *strongly* suggest that you change fstab
> to use the UUID of the filesystem. That makes it work if you only plug
> in one, if you plug them in the wrong ports, if FC10 probes the USB bus
> ass-backwards from FC9, or other ways you can shoot yourself in the foot.
>
> Redhat 8 (or maybe 9) would occasionally install on a system with two
> SCSI controllers and probe them in one order for install and the other
> for runtime boot, which changes all the device names. It took me two
> hours to find and fix that, in the "pre-UUID" days. Late on a Friday.
> With a 131 mile drive to get home. With something as easy to change as
> pluggable devices, I suggest you avoid this learning experience.

Everything works. The good news I wasn't expecting is that the
filesystems keep their permissions through the unmounting/mounting of a
reboot. In case anyone wonders, the extra "1" in "chmod 1777" blocks
users (other than root) from deleting the folder or changing its
permissions.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:17 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Gerhard Magnus wrote:

Everything works. The good news I wasn't expecting is that the
filesystems keep their permissions through the unmounting/mounting of a
reboot. In case anyone wonders, the extra "1" in "chmod 1777" blocks
users (other than root) from deleting the folder or changing its
permissions.

Because it is an ext3 file system, the permissions are saved as part
of the file system. (Think of the permissions on /.) Access of the
USB drive is the same as the rest of your file system.

Mikkel