Old 10-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Art Alexion

Default Printing Problem

On Thursday 02 October 2008 11:25:06 am Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 October 2008, Pastor JW wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 October 2008 7:45:27 pm tom bell wrote:
> > > Just wondering here if you have used your browser to address CUPS via:
> > > http://localhost:631
> >
> > Yes, I have but the laptop can not find the computer with the printer
> > which is on the same router as the laptop. *Neither can the other two
> > wired desktops for that matter.
>
> Something is seriously wrong then.
>
> I have a labrat machine here that has a scanner connected to it. I just
> now wanted to copy a piece of paper but found out that I hadn't defined a
> printer for that machine.
>
> Went into 'system settings', selected 'add printer', told it I wanted to
> add a 'network printer' using TCP, gave it the address, and port (9100)
> and told it what kind of printer it is (HP4000TN) and off it went.
> Printed the CUPS test page just fine.
>
> It shouldn't be harder than that.
>
> Now if you are trying to print from one linux machine to another, and that
> other has a local printer, then you need to add a 'remote CUPS server'
> printer (IPP/HTTP) and use 'anonymous' as the user ID type and give it the
> host IP address and use port 631.
>
> But you may have to make some settings on the machine with the printer
> also. I just tried to have my labrat machine talk to a different linux
> machine by doing the above remote CUPS server setup and it says "unable to
> connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on port 631"
>
> Looking at the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf on my server machine I see the setting
> to:
>
> # Only listen for connections from the local machine.
> Listen localhost:631
> Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
>

> And there may be other things that need to change. I did all this 7 years
> ago and it worked fine. Don't need to do it anymore.

Make sure you have the package smbclient installed. I have no idea why this
is not installed with the samba package or by default, but it screws a lot of
people up. There is also an smbprint package, but I think that is included
in smbclient.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday 02 October 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
> Make sure you have the package smbclient installed. *I have no idea why
> this is not installed with the samba package or by default, but it screws a
> lot of people up. *There is also an smbprint package, but I think that is
> included in smbclient.

Why would smb (Samba) have anything to with a totally Linux printing
environment?

Old 10-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Art Alexion

On Thursday 02 October 2008 2:01:05 pm Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Thursday 02 October 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
> > Make sure you have the package smbclient installed. *I have no idea why
> > this is not installed with the samba package or by default, but it screws
> > a lot of people up. *There is also an smbprint package, but I think that
> > is included in smbclient.
>
> Why would smb (Samba) have anything to with a totally Linux printing
> environment?

Isn't this an SMB printer?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday 02 October 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
> > Why would smb (Samba) have anything to with a totally Linux printing
> > environment?
>
> Isn't this an SMB printer?

Not that I am aware of.... He's trying to get CUPS to work in an all Linux
environment.

Maybe I missed something. And I am assuming you are saying it is a local
printer connected to a Windows machine. Don't think that's the case.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:36 PM
"Art Alexion"

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:
On Thursday 02 October 2008, Art Alexion wrote:>> > Why would smb
(Samba) have anything to with a totally Linux printing
>> > environment?
>>
>> Isn't this an SMB printer?
>
> Not that I am aware of.... He's trying to get CUPS to work in an all Linux
> environment.
>
> Maybe I missed something. And I am assuming you are saying it is a local
> printer connected to a Windows machine. Don't think that's the case.

No. He's saying that it is on some sort of print server, though I
didn't catch any details about it. He also is saying that his windows
box can access it. He gave us an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range,
but I don't know if that is the server appliance or the windows
machine that hosts the drivers.

On our heterogeneous environment, we have a number of laser printers
with built in ethernet connections and large lineprinters with
parallel connectors plugged into print server appliances. The windows
computers in the environment connect through a windows server that
hosts the drivers. My linux boxes connect either through that same
server via smbprint, or directly to the printer or print server IPs
via port 9100. But in order for me to connect via the windows server,
I need smbclient installed.

Among Linux distributions I have used, *ubuntu seems to handle
printing better than most, but for a windows print server, you need
smbclient installed.

Last, not knowing what the server appliance he is using is and how it
works, I think we might assume that it may have some windows-only
limitations.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface

Old 10-02-2008, 10:04 PM
"Michael Hirsch"

I just went through this at home.

By default, kubuntu sets up your cups server so that it only listens
for connections from itself. If you want to let other computers use
the cups server you need to configure the cups server to listen to the
outside world. There may be a GUI way to do this, but I don't know
it, so to follow these instructions you'll need to be able to edit a
file as root.

Looking at the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf on your server machine you'll see
somewhere in it:

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen localhost:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

You need to change that second line to
Listen *:631

Restart the cups server (sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart, I think).
It will now be listening for outside connections. Now all your other
computers should see the printer.

On the other computers just say you have a "generic postscript"
printer. The server will take charge of converting the postscript to
whatever format your printer really wants.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Old 10-03-2008, 07:36 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/10/3 Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch@gmail.com>:
> I just went through this at home.
>
> By default, kubuntu sets up your cups server so that it only listens
> for connections from itself. If you want to let other computers use
> the cups server you need to configure the cups server to listen to the
> outside world. There may be a GUI way to do this, but I don't know
> it, so to follow these instructions you'll need to be able to edit a
> file as root.

CUPS has a web interface where you can configure the server and your
printers, just surf to http://localhost:631

/ Jonas

Old 11-04-2008, 03:43 PM
"Kjetil Halvorsen"

Hola!

I am connected to a (non-local) printer on the local network. The printer works nice from windows macines, but from ubuntu
(neither 8.04 nor 8.10) am I able to print. What might be the problem. I am using the troubleshooting guide, which cannot

solve the problem, but gives the following information output:

Page 1 (Choose printer):
{'cups_dest': <cups.Dest object at 0x8c4de40>,
*'cups_instance': None,
*'cups_queue': 'LaserJet-1005',

*'cups_queue_listed': True}
Page 2 (Check printer sanity):
{'cups_device_uri_scheme': u'socket',
*'cups_printer_dict': {'device-uri': u'socket://172.16.150.143/Impresora:9100',

********************** 'printer-info': u'LaserJet-1005',
********************** 'printer-is-shared': True,
********************** 'printer-location': u'172.16.150.143/Impresora',

********************** 'printer-make-and-model': u'HP LaserJet 1005 Foomatic/foo2zjs (recommended)',
********************** 'printer-state': 3,
********************** 'printer-state-message': u'No %%BoundingBox: comment in header!',

********************** 'printer-state-reasons': [u'connecting-to-device'],
********************** 'printer-type': 36868,
********************** 'printer-uri-supported': u'ipp://localhost:631/printers/LaserJet-1005'},

*'is_cups_class': False}
Page 3 (Printer state reasons):
{'printer-state-message': 'No %%BoundingBox: comment in header!',
*'printer-state-reasons': 'connecting-to-device'}

Page 4 (Print test page):
{'test_page_attempted': True,
*'test_page_job_id': [13],
*'test_page_job_status': [(13, 'LaserJet-1005', 'Test Page')],
*'test_page_successful': False}

Page 5 (Printer state reasons):
{'printer-state-message': 'Attempting to connect to host 172.16.150.143 on port 9100',
*'printer-state-reasons': 'connecting-to-device'}

Hopefully this can lead somebody to a solution.

Greetings,

Kjetil
--
"Perhaps there is no such thing as unilateral power. After all, the man 'in power' depends on receiving information all the time from outside. He responds to that information just as much as he 'causes' things to happen...it is an interaction, and not a lineal situation. But the myth of power is, of course, a very powerful myth, and probably most people in this world more or less believe in it. It is a myth, which, if everybody believes in it, becomes to that extent self-validating. But it is still epistemological lunacy and leads inevitably to various sorts of disaster."