Old 09-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Art Alexion

Default Printing problem

To turn that around, I have never had problem getting cups to work
under linux or OSX. Even when I tested Novell SLED, and I couldn't set
up a shared windows printer, cups automatically configured itself to
use every shared cups printer already on the network.

--

Art Alexion
Sent unsigned from an iPod. That's the reason for the top posting as

Old 09-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday 29 September 2008, Pastor JW wrote:
> *I have asked the question now on 18 maillists
> have 17,089 replies which tell me how to set up a windoze print server on
> my network and exactly zero replies on how to MAKE IT WORK where every one
> of my 8 machines run Linux.

You must have some kind of weird setup then. Maybe telling us about your
printer environment would be good.

I currently use CUPS on 6 linux machines to print to an HP network printer as
well as a HP 5550 printing through a network print server.

But I have also used local printers using CUPS and allowing other network
printers to use CUPS to print through that one linux machine with the local
printer attached. This was at least 7 years ago so CUPS has been working
correctly for quite some time.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> Bruce Marshall wrote:

>>> That is *exactly* what I see there.
>>>
>> All I can add is that print servers (and some printers) can be very fussy
>> beasts and sometimes it is required to turn everything off (to reset) and try
>> again. If someone in the stream gets upset, nothing is going to print
> Well, I tried power-cycling the print server and rebooting the computer,
> but that did not change anything. I guess this is going to be difficult.<g>

Not necessarily so.

I would like to reiterate:

What exactly is the make and type of your printserver?

Or are you printing to an etherprot that is integrated into your
printer? Afaik the 1020 is a cheap usb printer that does not have a
network connection.

If I missed it, please forgive my ignorance.

You also should try to connect the printer directly via usb, just for
testing.

Doing this will rule out any problem that possibly is caused by your
printserver

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 10-01-2008, 01:06 AM
"Kevin B. O'Brien"

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
>
>> Bruce Marshall wrote:

>>> All I can add is that print servers (and some printers) can be very fussy
>>> beasts and sometimes it is required to turn everything off (to reset) and try
>>> again. If someone in the stream gets upset, nothing is going to print
>>>
>> Well, I tried power-cycling the print server and rebooting the computer,
>> but that did not change anything. I guess this is going to be difficult.<g>
>>

> Not necessarily so.
>
> I would like to reiterate:
>
> What exactly is the make and type of your printserver?
>
> Or are you printing to an etherprot that is integrated into your
> printer? Afaik the 1020 is a cheap usb printer that does not have a
> network connection.
>
> If I missed it, please forgive my ignorance.
>
> You also should try to connect the printer directly via usb, just for
> testing.
>
> Doing this will rule out any problem that possibly is caused by your
> printserver
>
> Kind regards
> Eberhard

This is a home network that has both Linux and Windows machines. I
purchased a TrendNet TE100-MP1U print server, which connects ot the
printer via USB and to the network via an ethernet port. I assigned it
the IP address of 192.168.1.107, and it is listening on port 9100. I can
print to it from one of my Windows boxes just fine. I can ping the print
server on 192.168.1.107, and it is definitely there. When I try to print
from my Linux box using CUPS, it first says it is connecting to the
server, and seems to do so successfully, then it gives an error message
"Unable to write print data: Broken pipe"

Thank you,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

A. Einstein--"God might be subtle, but He is never malicious." |
"Albert! Stop telling God what to do!"--E. Fermi

Old 10-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>> Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:

>>> Well, I tried power-cycling the print server and rebooting the computer,
>>> but that did not change anything. I guess this is going to be difficult.<g>
>>>

>> Not necessarily so.
>>
>> I would like to reiterate:
>>
>> What exactly is the make and type of your printserver?
>>
>> Or are you printing to an etherprot that is integrated into your
>> printer? Afaik the 1020 is a cheap usb printer that does not have a
>> network connection.
>>
>> If I missed it, please forgive my ignorance.
>>
>> You also should try to connect the printer directly via usb, just for
>> testing.
>>
>> Doing this will rule out any problem that possibly is caused by your
>> printserver
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Eberhard
>>
> This is a home network that has both Linux and Windows machines. I
> purchased a TrendNet TE100-MP1U print server, which connects ot the
> printer via USB and to the network via an ethernet port. I assigned it
> the IP address of 192.168.1.107, and it is listening on port 9100. I can
> print to it from one of my Windows boxes just fine. I can ping the print
> server on 192.168.1.107, and it is definitely there. When I try to print
> from my Linux box using CUPS, it first says it is connecting to the
> server, and seems to do so successfully, then it gives an error message
> "Unable to write print data: Broken pipe"
>
> Thank you,

This reminds me of my Dlink PSUS4 printserver. Prints greatly from
Windows but does not print at all from Linux. (inspite of several
documents from dlink). Actually there are dozens of forum posts that
complain about its ability to print from linux.

Did you install a driver from the manufacturer CD or from the Internet
to make the printserver work from Windows?
If so, chances are this is a cheapo model (I am just guessing here,
never seen this model).

Also if you google for TrendNet TE100-MP1U on google.com/linux you might
find good advice.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 10-02-2008, 02:45 AM
tom bell

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 19:33:01 -0700
From: Pastor JW <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org>
Subject: Re: Printing problem
To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>

> > Take a look in the error logs in /var/log/cups

I've never been able to make cups work in Linux. I have to save a document to
a memory card, then remove the card and put it into the cardreader of the
machine which has the printer attached and then sign into that computer and
print it. Everyone tells me I have to have some sort of windows machine in
my network in order to print so that is more off putting than not being able
to print through my network. I have asked the question now on 18 maillists
have 17,089 replies which tell me how to set up a windoze print server on my
network and exactly zero replies on how to MAKE IT WORK where every one of my
8 machines run Linux.

-- 73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< ? PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Just wondering here if you have used your browser to address CUPS via: http://localhost:631

Tom

Old 10-02-2008, 03:37 AM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday 01 October 2008 7:45:27 pm tom bell wrote:
> Just wondering here if you have used your browser to address CUPS via:
> http://localhost:631

Yes, I have but the laptop can not find the computer with the printer which is
on the same router as the laptop. Neither can the other two wired desktops
for that matter.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:25 AM
Brendan

> on 18 maillists have 17,089 replies which tell me how to set up a windoze

> print server on my network and exactly zero replies on how to MAKE IT WORK

> where every one of my 8 machines run Linux.

Here's how I did it:

1.) Set up CUPS on Linux comp connected to printer

printer wizard under KDE works a champ for this

2.) Set up other clients to see CUPS server on your printer machine via, again, kde printer wizard.

Honestly, those two steps worked fine for me, without dealing with CUPS directly.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:32 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 20:37 -0700, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 October 2008 7:45:27 pm tom bell wrote:
> > Just wondering here if you have used your browser to address CUPS via:
> > http://localhost:631
>
> Yes, I have but the laptop can not find the computer with the printer which is
> on the same router as the laptop. Neither can the other two wired desktops
> for that matter.

You have all the localnet machines listed in /etc/hosts ?? You should at
least be able to ping them all, to insure you have connectivity as your
first test of your network. That's the old school method, I have three
localnet machines and I do just that. Once everyone is happily pinging
each other, either by IP address and/or machine hostnames, you should be
good to go. If not, then you have merely a network problem. Just give
each machine a static IP address/hostname, and note those addresses in
your router config. It all should work. At that point CUPS should too.
Trouble shooting with a shotgun here. But, it works for me(tm), But,
if you have wireless machines, it gets stickier. Ric

https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 10-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Wednesday 01 October 2008, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 October 2008 7:45:27 pm tom bell wrote:
> > Just wondering here if you have used your browser to address CUPS via:
> > http://localhost:631
>
> Yes, I have but the laptop can not find the computer with the printer which
> is on the same router as the laptop. *Neither can the other two wired
> desktops for that matter.

Something is seriously wrong then.

I have a labrat machine here that has a scanner connected to it. I just now
wanted to copy a piece of paper but found out that I hadn't defined a printer
for that machine.

Went into 'system settings', selected 'add printer', told it I wanted to add
a 'network printer' using TCP, gave it the address, and port (9100) and
told it what kind of printer it is (HP4000TN) and off it went. Printed the
CUPS test page just fine.

It shouldn't be harder than that.

Now if you are trying to print from one linux machine to another, and that
other has a local printer, then you need to add a 'remote CUPS server'
printer (IPP/HTTP) and use 'anonymous' as the user ID type and give it the
host IP address and use port 631.

But you may have to make some settings on the machine with the printer also.
I just tried to have my labrat machine talk to a different linux machine by
doing the above remote CUPS server setup and it says "unable to connect to
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on port 631"

Looking at the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf on my server machine I see the setting to:

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen localhost:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

And there may be other things that need to change. I did all this 7 years
ago and it worked fine. Don't need to do it anymore.