Old 09-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Art Alexion

Default Printing problem

If the print server itself is cups (unlikely), use port 631. Usually,
though, its 9100.

--

Art Alexion
Sent unsigned from an iPod. That's the reason for the top posting as

Old 09-28-2008, 11:27 PM
"Kevin B. O'Brien"

Art Alexion wrote:
> If the print server itself is cups (unlikely), use port 631. Usually,
> though, its 9100.
>
> On Sep 27, 2008, at 6:24 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:
>

>> On Saturday 27 September 2008, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
>>
>>> I have an HP LaserJet 1020 which I want to use for several
>>> computers. I
>>> have it attached to a print server on my network. I can ping the
>>> print
>>> server just fine, and I installed it using CUPS. When I try to
>>> print a
>>> test page I get this error:
>>>
>>> Unable to write print data: Broken pipe
>>>
>>> I Googled this error, but so far all I have found is a lot of other
>>> people who got it, but not much in the way of solutions. Any idea
>>> where
>>> I can go with this next?
>>>
>> Most print servers use a special port for the printer, particularly
>> if the
>> server will control more than one printer. Have you checked in
>> great detail
>> just how to use the print server?
>>
>> For example, I have a print server that will handle two printers,
>> and the
>> ports than it uses are 4010 and 4020 and the network address is
>> 192.168.0.12.
>>
>> You will need both the port number and ip address to access the print.
>>
>> That's the best I can do with the information you have provided.

I have verified that the ip address (192.168.1.107 on my network) and
the port (9100) are the same on both ends. Thye server is looking for
stuff on 9100, and CUPs on my Kubuntu box is configured to send to port
9100.

Thank you,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

"If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me."
Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Old 09-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Sunday 28 September 2008, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> I have verified that the ip address (192.168.1.107 on my network) and
> the port (9100) are the same on both ends. Thye server is looking for
> stuff on 9100, and CUPs on my Kubuntu box is configured to send to port
> 9100.

Can you describe the method you used to set it up in CUPS. What type of
printer did you specify? (network printer I hope using port 9100)

If you go to System Settings --> Printers --> and select the printer (lp?)
and then Properties --> Interface, you should see something like:

Network Printer (socket)
URI: socket://192.168.1.107:9100

Old 09-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Eberhard Roloff

Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> I have an HP LaserJet 1020 which I want to use for several computers. I
> have it attached to a print server on my network. I can ping the print
> server just fine, and I installed it using CUPS. When I try to print a
> test page I get this error:
>
> Unable to write print data: Broken pipe
>
> I Googled this error, but so far all I have found is a lot of other
> people who got it, but not much in the way of solutions. Any idea where
> I can go with this next?
>
> Regards,

The 1020 is supported by hplip.

So, make sure that hplip is installed. If this does not solve your
problem, try "hp-setup" (from the commandline as root).

Still no success?
Google for hplip and find:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
Maybe the "troubleshooting"-link there will help you along.

Surely I missed it. Please let us know, what the name and type of your
printserver is.

From time to time, I found that "non HP jetdirect" printservers might
have trouble to work with hp printers. Admittedly this does not happen
often, but it happens now and then.

kind regards
Eberhard

Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 PM
"Kevin B. O'Brien"

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Sunday 28 September 2008, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
>
>> I have verified that the ip address (192.168.1.107 on my network) and
>> the port (9100) are the same on both ends. Thye server is looking for
>> stuff on 9100, and CUPs on my Kubuntu box is configured to send to port
>> 9100.
>>

> Can you describe the method you used to set it up in CUPS. What type of
> printer did you specify? (network printer I hope using port 9100)
>
> If you go to System Settings --> Printers --> and select the printer (lp?)
> and then Properties --> Interface, you should see something like:
>

> Network Printer (socket)
> URI: socket://192.168.1.107:9100

That is *exactly* what I see there.

Thank you,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to
keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday 29 September 2008, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> > Network Printer (socket)
> > URI: * * socket://192.168.1.107:9100
> > *
>
> That is *exactly* what I see there.

All I can add is that print servers (and some printers) can be very fussy
beasts and sometimes it is required to turn everything off (to reset) and try
again. If someone in the stream gets upset, nothing is going to print.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:43 AM
"Kevin B. O'Brien"

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Monday 29 September 2008, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
>
>>> Network Printer (socket)
>>> URI: socket://192.168.1.107:9100
>>>

>> That is *exactly* what I see there.
>>

> All I can add is that print servers (and some printers) can be very fussy
> beasts and sometimes it is required to turn everything off (to reset) and try
> again. If someone in the stream gets upset, nothing is going to print
Well, I tried power-cycling the print server and rebooting the computer,
but that did not change anything. I guess this is going to be difficult.<g>

Thank you for your suggestions.

Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
There's also a negative side." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-30-2008, 01:50 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday 29 September 2008, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> Well, I tried power-cycling the print server and rebooting the computer,
> but that did not change anything. I guess this is going to be difficult.<g>

Take a look in the error logs in /var/log/cups

Old 09-30-2008, 02:33 AM
Pastor JW

On Monday 29 September 2008 6:50:54 pm Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Monday 29 September 2008, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> > Well, I tried power-cycling the print server and rebooting the computer,
> > but that did not change anything. I guess this is going to be
> > difficult.<g>
>
> Take a look in the error logs in /var/log/cups

I've never been able to make cups work in Linux. I have to save a document to
a memory card, then remove the card and put it into the cardreader of the
machine which has the printer attached and then sign into that computer and
print it. Everyone tells me I have to have some sort of windows machine in
my network in order to print so that is more off putting than not being able
to print through my network. I have asked the question now on 18 maillists
have 17,089 replies which tell me how to set up a windoze print server on my
network and exactly zero replies on how to MAKE IT WORK where every one of my
8 machines run Linux.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 09-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Martin Laberge

On Saturday 27 September 2008 18:09:03 Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> I have an HP LaserJet 1020 which I want to use for several computers. I
> have it attached to a print server on my network. I can ping the print
> server just fine, and I installed it using CUPS. When I try to print a
> test page I get this error:
>
> Unable to write print data: Broken pipe
>
> I Googled this error, but so far all I have found is a lot of other
> people who got it, but not much in the way of solutions. Any idea where
> I can go with this next?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
> nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

configure your print-server to accept LPD jobs
and then configure cups to print on the remote LPD server

as simple as that.
(tested with many bizars (and not so bizars) print servers, with success)

--
Martin Laberge
martin.laberge@videotron.ca