Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Default F9 installation problems

Per Anton Ronning wrote:

I bought the August '08 issue of Linux Format with an F 9
DVD.
I have also bought a new machine (made to order by an internet based
vendor, and no op.sys. installed)
The installation procedure seemed to go OK, except for one thing: I was
not asked to create a user account.

When rebooting after the "Congratulations" screen, the PC stopped.
("Enabling /etc/fstab swaps" was the last [OK] message before it halted.)
My 22" CHIMEI CMV223D LCD screen went black and the message "out of
range" appeared, according to the vendor this means that it has got a
signal which it is unable to process.

The display driver is NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT.

It didn't halt - it switched to the GUI display, but your monitor
could not display the video it was receiving.

From the Linux Format forum I got the tip to boot at runlevel 3, which
I did, and then I reached the login prompt. Since the installation
procedure did not ask me to specify a user name (blank was not
recognized) I logged on to root. which went OK. Now things seemed
normal in character mode.

I typed "setup" and got a setup which included X.
I tried to configure, but the display driver models did not include
CHIMEI or CMV223D anywhere, so then I thought I would have to try at
random.

The display driver is for the video card, NOT the monitor.

I did, and that went wrong. Now it does not find X11 at all.
(Lesson: Do not run experiments at random)
I guess I can take care of this by reinstalling F 9, if everything else
fails.

Boot into run level 3, and run setup again, or run
system-config-display.

Does anyone know why I am not asked to create a user account?

That part of setup is normally down on first boot, but you did not
see it. You can use the useradd command to add one from the command
line. THere is a GUI to do it as well, byt you have to have X working.

Mikkel

Old 08-05-2008, 12:39 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

Kindly don't hijack threads. You message has nothing to do with the one
you replied to. When you want to start a new topic, compose a separate
message, don't just reply to an existing one.

poc