Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Alan Cox

Default F9 installation problems

> I typed "setup" and got a setup which included X.
> I tried to configure, but the display driver models did not include
> CHIMEI or CMV223D anywhere, so then I thought I would have to try at
> random.
> I did, and that went wrong. Now it does not find X11 at all.

Odd.. when you say "does not find" what occurs ?

[Useful tip btw - you can get X back to unconfigured from the command
line with 'rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf" - should never be needed but like all
those things...)

> Does anyone know why I am not asked to create a user account?

If it couldn't set up X it probably never got the point of asking you.
>From the command line "man useradd"

> Do I have to download and install the NVIDIA driver for this card, or
> should it be present on the DVD?

The DVD ships with several drivera that may work for the Nvidia card. The
non-free Nvidia driver isn't free software and isn't included.

The 'vesa' driver is a BIOS mode setting driver without acceleration. The
'nv' driver is an Nvidia provided 2D driver which is all the want to open
source, the 'nouveau' driver is a more experimental accelerated driver
being built by reverse engineering (as Nvidia won't provide documentation
either).

> Has anyone heard of the brand of screen that I have,
> do I have to get a driver for it and install that?

Most displays are VESA standard ones so if you know the usual resolution
set the generic 1024x768/800x600 etc modes

Old 08-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Per Anton Ronning

I bought the August '08 issue of Linux Format with an F 9
DVD.
I have also bought a new machine (made to order by an internet based
vendor, and no op.sys. installed)
The installation procedure seemed to go OK, except for one thing: I was
not asked to create a user account.

When rebooting after the "Congratulations" screen, the PC stopped.
("Enabling /etc/fstab swaps" was the last [OK] message before it halted.)
My 22" CHIMEI CMV223D LCD screen went black and the message "out of
range" appeared, according to the vendor this means that it has got a
signal which it is unable to process.

The display driver is NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT.

From the Linux Format forum I got the tip to boot at runlevel 3, which
I did, and then I reached the login prompt. Since the installation
procedure did not ask me to specify a user name (blank was not
recognized) I logged on to root. which went OK. Now things seemed
normal in character mode.

I typed "setup" and got a setup which included X.
I tried to configure, but the display driver models did not include
CHIMEI or CMV223D anywhere, so then I thought I would have to try at
random.

I did, and that went wrong. Now it does not find X11 at all.
(Lesson: Do not run experiments at random)
I guess I can take care of this by reinstalling F 9, if everything else
fails.

I also have Fedora 5 (currently in production on the old PC)
and Fedora 7 which I have had for some time without using it. Any
attempt to install these resulted in some BIOS error.
I have not yet heard from the vendor on these issues yet, I quess this
was a bit outside their usual support stuff.

Does anyone know why I am not asked to create a user account?

Do I have to download and install the NVIDIA driver for this card, or
should it be present on the DVD?

Has anyone heard of the brand of screen that I have,
do I have to get a driver for it and install that?

Does anyone have a better idea as to choice of a F 9 DVD to install?

Thanks!

BRGDS
PAR