Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Konstantin Svist

Default OT: subpixel LCD fonts smoothing

David Hláčik wrote:

So, guys ... what about now?

http://www.hlacik.eu/fedora_fixed.bmp

D.

2008/8/4 David Hláčik <david@hlacik.eu>

Well i have same font sizes, same resolution, same DPI, LCD
subpixel hinting full, still weird not nice

D.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Jorge Fábregas
<jorge.fabregas@gmail.com <mailto:jorge.fabregas@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Sunday 03 August 2008 05:22:07 pm David Hláčik wrote:
> So far, i have found on forums there is no difference. So
after installing
> that freetype-freeword font smoothing on Fedora 9 will be
same as on Ubuntu?

Well, it's not that straight forward. To simplify the matter,
there are two
things: rendering engine (and how it is configured, e.g
subpixel hinting
etc) and the other is the typeface itself So if you want
to compare a
particular version of Ubuntu with a particular version of
Fedora you need to
check those 2 things, at least.

Regarding the freetype world package...Once you install it you
need to enable
subpixel hinting in your Desktop Environment (KDE or GNOME or
whatever). In
KDE you need to go to Control Center/Fonts and then enable "use
anti-aliasing" and once there click "Configure" to enable
subpixel hinting.

HTH,
Jorge

p.d Also you need to check if the dpi for your monitor is the
same on both
distros...Google is your friend.

Oooh, I forgot that Mozilla HQ is in my town! I should start complaining
to them in person instead of filing in bugzilla