Old 08-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Nigel Henry

Default Suggestions to change default background on F9

I've recently done updates on my Archlinux install, which have upgraded KDE
from 3.5 to 4.1. the background is awfull, and is black with some sort of
midnight blue spiral galaxy sort of thing near the top. Text is white on a
black background, and my eyes have problems with this. I messed around with
right clicking on the desktop, and adding a wallpaper, which was worse. There
appears to be no way of changing the background now. I then went to "system
settings", and colours, then tried to change the colour, and it least in
Archlinux for one of my user names, I now have a totally black screen, and
with difficulty can just about see the mouse pointer. Left click, right
click, any old click, but no menus, no panel, no nothing.

I don't want to mess this up on my F9 install, so is there anyway to change
the background to what I consider to be the normal one I see on Fedora
installs (a mid blue one), and with a white panel with black text. This is
with KDE of course.

Apologies to not wanting to be on the cutting edge of the latest and greatest
graphics experience, but my eyes don't work well with white text on a black
background.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Nigel.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:48 PM
"Joonas Sarajärvi"

2008/8/4 Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr>:
> I don't want to mess this up on my F9 install, so is there anyway to change
> the background to what I consider to be the normal one I see on Fedora
> installs (a mid blue one), and with a white panel with black text. This is
> with KDE of course.

Right-click the desktop, and select Desktop settings or something
similar (My KDE is in Finnish)... You will get a dialog that lets you
select the desktop background, among other things.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj@gmail.com

Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Nigel Henry

On Monday 04 August 2008 23:48, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
> 2008/8/4 Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr>:
> > I don't want to mess this up on my F9 install, so is there anyway to
> > change the background to what I consider to be the normal one I see on
> > Fedora installs (a mid blue one), and with a white panel with black text.
> > This is with KDE of course.
>
> Right-click the desktop, and select Desktop settings or something
> similar (My KDE is in Finnish)... You will get a dialog that lets you
> select the desktop background, among other things.
>

> --
> Joonas Sarajärvi
> muepsj@gmail.com

Hi Joonas. Thank you for the reply. Right clicking on the desktop, amongst
other things there is the menu item "Configure Desktop-Plasma Workspace". the
"Picture" box shows only a few different wallpapers/backgrounds, none of
which is the background I am looking for. There is a button "New Wallpaper",
but that seems to be for downloading new wallpaper from the Internet.

I've looked in /usr/share/backgrounds, and there are many more background
options there. The one that is default with KDE4 appears to be
waves-normal-3-night.png, and is really dark, which I suppose makes sense, as
it's nighttime.

Ahaah. Clicking on the icon to the right of the "Picture" box has got me a
window where I can access the filesystem.

I'm going for this now, and seeing if I can lighten up the desktop.
/usr/share/backgrounds/waves/waves-normal-0-morn.png.

Ok, after a bit of messing about, and not realising that my new selection had
been added to the wallpaper list in the "Pictures" box, I now have a lot
lighter desktop, and to be quite honest, it looks quite nice. A logout, and
login is still showing the new background, so, so far so good.

The next thing is to try and change the colour of the panel. At the moment it
is black, with white text. My eyes are not too good with this, and would
prefer a lighter panel, with black text. Right click on the panel gives
almost nothing to configure, only "Size", and "Location".

I may have to ask about that on the KDE list, unless you can offer any
suggestions to changing the colour of the panel/kicker.

Thanks a lot for your advice. At least I've now got a lighter background.

Nigel.