Old 08-04-2008, 06:59 PM
kwhiskerz

Default Help, please! xserver or evdev and laptop keyboard

I was away last week and updated my laptop around last Wednesday while on vacation (bad move). I noticed that xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.4.99-905.2.20080702 and the corresponding xorg-x11-server-common were updated. I am not sure whether evdev was also updated then, or whether it had been updated a week or so earlier (if so, then it is not the problem, but most likely the xserver would be).

Since doing the update, I have full mouse functionality, but no keyboard. The keys just type nothing at all in gnome, kde4.1 (which I use), kdm and gdm. The keys work in grub and when I boot into run level 3 from grub (but limited, cannot type ' or ", for example, just letters).

As per recent instructions, I do not use an xorg.conf file, but thinking that that might be the problem, I tried to create a skeleton xorg.conf with just the keyboard section, thinking that my keyboard doesn't like evdev and wanting to make it use the old kbd driver instead (at least I presume that evdev is the present default), but, as I just said, I am unable to type a ", so I am unable to create an xorg.conf file.

Help!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Antonio Olivares

> I was away last week and updated my laptop around last
> Wednesday while on
> vacation (bad move). I noticed that
> xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.4.99-905.2.20080702
> and the corresponding xorg-x11-server-common were updated.
> I am not sure
> whether evdev was also updated then, or whether it had been
> updated a week or
> so earlier (if so, then it is not the problem, but most
> likely the xserver
> would be).
>
> Since doing the update, I have full mouse functionality,
> but no keyboard. The
> keys just type nothing at all in gnome, kde4.1 (which I
> use), kdm and gdm. The
> keys work in grub and when I boot into run level 3 from
> grub (but limited,
> cannot type ' or ", for example, just letters).
>
> As per recent instructions, I do not use an xorg.conf file,
> but thinking that
> that might be the problem, I tried to create a skeleton
> xorg.conf with just
> the keyboard section, thinking that my keyboard doesn't
> like evdev and wanting
> to make it use the old kbd driver instead (at least I
> presume that evdev is
> the present default), but, as I just said, I am unable to
> type a ", so I am
> unable to create an xorg.conf file.

Two ways of creating one, first boot into level 3 and create the xorg.conf file with

1) become root user
$ su -
passowrd:
# Xorg -configure or --configure
# cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

2) use system-config-display --reconfigure

and configure the specs manually.

This should generate an xorg.conf file. I had the same situation running rawhide, one of the updates broke X and the kernel also had an oops, but putting back an xorg.conf file got me back on track.

Regards,

Antonio

Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 PM
kwhiskerz

I tried that, but it refused to start X with the generated file. The message said something about some intel module not existing. Very strange, as that module is not loaded, now that I have sort of solved the problem.

What I did was sftp the old archived xorg.conf from my desktop and now the laptop keyboard works.

The problem remains, however, as one is not supposed to use an xorg.conf at all, and it was working just fine without right up until last week when I installed those updates (likely the xserver ones, I think).

So, how can I have a laptop keyboard and no xorg.conf, like one is supposed to do?

Old 08-05-2008, 05:08 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 12:59 -0600, kwhiskerz wrote:
> I am not sure whether evdev was also updated then, or whether it had
> been updated a week or so earlier (if so, then it is not the problem,
> but most likely the xserver would be).

If the update was through yum, then /var/log/yum.log will list what
happened when.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:10 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 15:46 -0600, kwhiskerz wrote:
> The problem remains, however, as one is not supposed to use an
> xorg.conf at all, and it was working just fine without right up until
> last week when I installed those updates (likely the xserver ones, I
> think).

If having one makes it work, then have one. You don't not have to have
one. I do see your point about not having to do something special to
make things work, but I wouldn't fret too much about having an xorg.conf
file.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 PM
kwhiskerz

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 14:40:24 +0930, Tim wrote:

> If having one makes it work, then have one. You don't not have to have
> one. I do see your point about not having to do something special to
> make things work, but I wouldn't fret too much about having an xorg.conf
> file.

I liked not having the file, as I prefer to have the system set itself up
correctly, which it was actually doing, without my intervention. This works,
too, and is not that much of a hassle. Thanks.