Old 08-04-2008, 03:04 AM
Robert

Default Planned Obsolesce

Hello World,

As time allows, work is proceeding on moving to a new computer so that an
older one can be taken down and recommissioned. This activity provides a
rational for catching up on newsgroups. Usenet continues to be a good
source of information.

A reply to a the posting in this group caused me to stop, step back, and
consider a different respective. The reply pointed out that Fedora core
6 was supported until one month after the release of Fedora 8. With
releases scheduled every 6 months, any release has a supported life of
only 13 months. The phrase ?planned obsolesce? comes to mind.

I probably run an operating system install longer than most. Of the
machines at home and work that come to mind, one is running 5, two are at
6, one at 7, with the latest running 8. Due to several bad experiences,
newer versions are installed only when the machine can be taken down and
the disks reformatted. Running an older version is not the end of the
world, but a 13 month support cycle seams a bit short.

The box running Fedora 8 originally received Fedora 9. It was for a
project that needed to move forward. The state of KDE made that
imposable and Fedora 8 was installed. That project is now over. I now
realize that support will end one month after the release of 10, or in
around 6 months.

I can see the value of time based releases for publicity and scheduling
purposes. It may not be the best thing for those needing continued
utility and stability.

On a different note, my thanks goes out to those who have made open
source work.

Have a good day,
Robert H.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Rui Miguel Silva Seabra

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 03:04:29AM +0000, Robert wrote:
> A reply to a the posting in this group caused me to stop, step back, and
> consider a different respective. The reply pointed out that Fedora core
> 6 was supported until one month after the release of Fedora 8. With
> releases scheduled every 6 months, any release has a supported life of
> only 13 months. The phrase �planned obsolesce� comes to mind.

Yes, that's by design, unless you'd like to start a fund for paying
people to maintain Fedora releases longer

There was a project called Fedora Legacy precisely for providing some
maintenance for older releases, but the man power wasn't enough and the
project eventually shutdown.

There are other distribution with LONGER support periods, you could try
Red Hat Enterprise [GNU/]Linux or CentOS (if you want to keep on the Red
Hat family).

Best,
Rui

--
Pzat!
Today is Sweetmorn, the 70th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?

Old 08-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 04 August 2008 04:04:29 Robert wrote:
> Hello World,
>
> As time allows, work is proceeding on moving to a new computer so that an
> older one can be taken down and recommissioned. This activity provides a
> rational for catching up on newsgroups. Usenet continues to be a good
> source of information.
>
> A reply to a the posting in this group caused me to stop, step back, and
> consider a different respective. The reply pointed out that Fedora core
> 6 was supported until one month after the release of Fedora 8. With
> releases scheduled every 6 months, any release has a supported life of
> only 13 months. The phrase �planned obsolesce� comes to mind.
>
> I probably run an operating system install longer than most. Of the
> machines at home and work that come to mind, one is running 5, two are at
> 6, one at 7, with the latest running 8. Due to several bad experiences,
> newer versions are installed only when the machine can be taken down and
> the disks reformatted. Running an older version is not the end of the
> world, but a 13 month support cycle seams a bit short.
>
> The box running Fedora 8 originally received Fedora 9. It was for a
> project that needed to move forward. The state of KDE made that
> imposable and Fedora 8 was installed. That project is now over. I now
> realize that support will end one month after the release of 10, or in
> around 6 months.
>
> I can see the value of time based releases for publicity and scheduling
> purposes. It may not be the best thing for those needing continued
> utility and stability.
>
> On a different note, my thanks goes out to those who have made open
> source work.

Hi, Robert. Fedora is not the best choice in your situation. You would be
much happier with one of the Enterprise clones - CentOS, Scientific Linux,
and one or two others come to mind. CentOS is now at 5.2, and is very like
Fedora Core 6. It has a very long support cycle (about 5 years, IIRC).

You might like to try F10 when it comes out, on one less critical box. KDE is
already fairly stable, but not yet complete. There's going to be a learning
curve, though, even when it's complete.

HTH

Anne

Old 08-04-2008, 04:03 PM