Old 08-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Claude Jones

Default SoundBlaster USB audio harshly distored

I have run the Alsa Information Script and the results can be seen here:
http://pastebin.ca/1092537
This an Asus G2S-B2 laptop - Core Duo, 3GB ram
The USB soundcard is the SB0300 (Audigy NX 2)
Almost always, when I fire up the computer, I get very harsh distorted sound
from the Soundblaster, though rarely, it will come out real clean; when it
does, it never lasts more than a few seconds, and then the distortion returns.
A headset plugged directly into the Audigy produces clean sound every time.
The intel audio that's built in to the laptop produces clean sound, always.
It's not very satisfying because the built in speakers aren't very loud, and
I'm slightly hard of hearing. The output of the SoundBlaster Audigy is being
fed to a pair of Bose speakers, whose quality, as well as volume, is far
better than the built-in speakers. I'd read somewhere about changing the
default sample rate from 44100 to 48000, which I tried to do in .asoundrc with
the following:

pcm.rate_convert {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:0,0"
rate 48000
}
}

This had no effect. Any help gratefully appreciated...
--
Claude Jones
Leesburg, VA