Old 08-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Anne Wilson

Default What are dm-x devices?

What are /dev/dm-0 through to /dev/dm-3? They are listed as block devices,
and owned root:disk. Looking at gkrellm, dm-0 and dm-2 appear to mirror the
activity of my system disk, sdb.

Then there are sr0 and sr1 - what are they? Again, I can't see much in the
way of a clue.

Anne

Old 08-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Steve

---- Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
> What are /dev/dm-0 through to /dev/dm-3? They are listed as block devices,
> and owned root:disk. Looking at gkrellm, dm-0 and dm-2 appear to mirror the
> activity of my system disk, sdb.

They have something to do with LVM is about all I can tell you.
Hopefully you'll get a better one from somebody.

> Then there are sr0 and sr1 - what are they? Again, I can't see much in the
> way of a clue.

No idea,
Steve

Old 08-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Anders Karlsson

* Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> [20080804 14:43]:
> What are /dev/dm-0 through to /dev/dm-3? They are listed as block devices,
> and owned root:disk. Looking at gkrellm, dm-0 and dm-2 appear to mirror the
> activity of my system disk, sdb.

Device mapper device-nodes. Look in /dev/mapper/ and you'll see them
again, but with different names.

> Then there are sr0 and sr1 - what are they? Again, I can't see much in the
> way of a clue.

Optical recording devices usually. You have two CD-writers (or
equivalent) attached?

/Anders

Old 08-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 04 August 2008 14:45:07 Anders Karlsson wrote:
> * Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> [20080804 14:43]:
> > What are /dev/dm-0 through to /dev/dm-3? They are listed as block
> > devices, and owned root:disk. Looking at gkrellm, dm-0 and dm-2 appear
> > to mirror the activity of my system disk, sdb.
>
> Device mapper device-nodes. Look in /dev/mapper/ and you'll see them
> again, but with different names.
>
> > Then there are sr0 and sr1 - what are they? Again, I can't see much in
> > the way of a clue.
>
> Optical recording devices usually. You have two CD-writers (or
> equivalent) attached?

Yes, that makes sense. There is an ancient CD-writer and a DVD writer.

Thanks for the reply.

Anne