Old 08-04-2008, 10:21 AM
morethanme

Default Installing Realtek Ethernet Card on Fedora 9

Hi all,

I'm trying to install the card using the files and instruction from the vendor's website as Fedora couldn't get the card working after the installation.

When using the "make clean modules" command, I get this:

[root@ localhost r8168-8.008.00]# make clean modules
make -C src/ clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Aiman/Download/r8168-8.008.00/src'
rm -rf *.o *.ko *~ core* .dep* .*.d .*.cmd *.mod.c *.a *.s .*.flags .tmp_versions Module.symvers Modules.symvers *.order
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Aiman/Download/r8168-8.008.00/src'
make -C src/ modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Aiman/Download/r8168-8.008.00/src'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/build SUBDIRS=/home/Aiman/Download/r8168-8.008.00/src modules
make: Entering an unknown directory
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: Leaving an unknown directory
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Aiman/Download/r8168-8.008.00/src'
make: *** [modules] Error 2
[root@ localhost r8168-8.008.00]#
And eventually can't continue the installation.
As I read through, I used yum to update the kernel-devel package, but with no luck.

Thanks,

more
ps I am a newbie

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=281396&topic_id=60086&forum= 24#forumpost281396
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame morethanme3@yahoo.com.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Sam Varshavchik

morethanme writes:

[...]

You must have the wrong version of kernel-devel installed. You're running an
older kernel, but you probably updated to the most recent kernel-devel
package. You must install a matching version of kernel-devel for your
running kernel.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:29 PM
morethanme

Hi Sam,

Thanks for ur reply. Would u tell me what should I do or refer me to an internet document.

more

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=281417&topic_id=60086&forum= 24#forumpost281417
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame morethanme3@yahoo.com.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Sam Varshavchik

morethanme writes:

Hi Sam,

Thanks for ur reply. Would u tell me what should I do or refer me to an internet document.

Well, the first thing that you need to do is form a habit that when you
reply to a mailing list, you always quote the relevant parts of the message
that you're replying to, as I'm doing now. Otherwise, when someone opens
your message and reads it, they'll have no idea what you're talking about.

My suggestion is to do a complete update to your system. "yum update". This
will install the latest matching kernel and kernel-devel packages, and,
after rebooting, you will be able to proceed and build your driver without
too much fuss.

If, on the other hand, you have some specific reason for building a driver
for your current, older, kernel: remove your existing kernel-devel package,
"rpm -e kernel-devel"; check which version of the kernel rpm you have
installed, and you're running; if, for example, uname -r shows
"2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686", then install the matching kernel-devel rpm, "yum
install kernel-devel-2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686".

But I would also question whether you really need to build your kernel
module in the first place. In 2008, I find it rather implausible that you
can find a run-of-the-mill Ethernet card, especially a Realtek, that's not
directly supported by the Linux kernel. Before wasting your time, you should
check if you really need to do this. Just because the manufacturer offers a
downloadable driver doesn't mean that it's not already in the kernel. You
may be wasting your time, here, for no good reason.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 AM
morethanme

Thanks all. It has been solved.

For reference, this was a fresh installation and I didn't make a full system update. In other words, I didn't push that annoying little red thing in the sys tray - u know what I'm talking about. After having that 300 + packages to be downloaded and updated, it worked like charm, alhamdulilah.
more

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=281745&topic_id=60086&forum= 24#forumpost281745
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame morethanme3@yahoo.com.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 AM
morethanme

Thanks Sam for ur advice.

first, that "quote" thing is a good habit but not necessary.

Second, I did a full update and it worked.

more

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=281746&topic_id=60086&forum= 24#forumpost281746
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame morethanme3@yahoo.com.