Old 08-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Alan Cox

Default NFS mount points (directories) inaccessible in RunLevel 3

> I dropped the server into Run Level 2 (from 3) and could see the five directories under /mnt.
>
> This is driving me crazy, thus I am missing something. Can someone identify that something?

You or a program mounted something else over /mnt perhaps which was
unmounted when you went back to run level 2 ?

Old 08-04-2008, 09:31 AM
djgardner

I have seen the following issue on several and current Redhat Linux distros. I'd like to understand the problem and avoid it. More importantly, I want to fix the problem on my current server.

As root, I created 5 directories under /mnt and mounted remote directories via NFS. All was well for weeks.

I added a new hard drive (/dev/sdb) and mounted it under /tmp to move files onto it. I umounted then remounted /dev/sdb1 in it's final location (/web.)

I then restarted the server and found the directory entries under /mnt were not visible and therefore, unable to be NFS mount points. The new drive mounted fine.

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=280941&topic_id=59995&forum= 10#forumpost280941
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame djgardner@yahoo.com.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Roger Heflin

djgardner wrote:

I have seen the following issue on several and current Redhat Linux distros. I'd like to understand the problem and avoid it. More importantly, I want to fix the problem on my current server.

As root, I created 5 directories under /mnt and mounted remote directories via NFS. All was well for weeks.

I added a new hard drive (/dev/sdb) and mounted it under /tmp to move files onto it. I umounted then remounted /dev/sdb1 in it's final location (/web.)

I then restarted the server and found the directory entries under /mnt were not visible and therefore, unable to be NFS mount points. The new drive mounted fine.

I dropped the server into Run Level 2 (from 3) and could see the five directories under /mnt.

This is driving me crazy, thus I am missing something. Can someone identify that something?

It has always worked fine for me, and I almost always run things at runlevel 3.

You should check:

chkconfig --list nfs

and see if it lists nfs as being on at runlevel 3.

Also post the contents of /etc/fstab.

Roger