-   -   Creating a local repository (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/136910-creating-local-repository.html)

Bill Davidsen 08-04-2008 02:07 AM

Creating a local repository

I have two questions on this, or at least 1.5 since I have a workaround
for one issue.

I turned on the flag in yum.conf to keep rpms in /var/cache/yum, so I
could avoid beating repositories and networks doing upgrades after an
install. I put them in a directory, burned a DVD, and I can mount it for
upgrades, using "yum localupgrade /media/dvd/*.rpm" or similar.

However, I know that someday I will get the "command line too long"
message, and decided to create a repository. And it looks as if the
'createrepo' utility is broken. I tried it on my normal machine for FC9,
and then on 'vestial,' my virgin install which uses only the official
and production RPMs, no 3rd party, no testing, no rawhide, this is as
stable as Fedora gets.

Failed the same way there.

So question one: is createrepo broken in FC9?

Then I moved the RPMs to another machine, an old FC6 machine I need to
use some drivers never updates past FC6. The createrepo there worked
fine, now how do I use it? Is it best to export via HTTP, or FTP, or NFS
mount, or ??? I don't find clear docs on doing this, and I'd like to get
the capability while the "old way" still works.

I'm probably going to wind up doing this for CentOS-5.2 as well, just as
a time saver.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Michael Schwendt 08-04-2008 08:11 AM

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 22:07:49 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> and decided to create a repository. And it looks as if the
> 'createrepo' utility is broken.

How? Why don't you show what you've tried to execute and the result you've
got? A session log can tell more than a hundred words.

> Failed the same way there.

Failed how?

Bill Davidsen 08-04-2008 08:39 PM

Michael Schwendt wrote:

and decided to create a repository. And it looks as if the
'createrepo' utility is broken.

How? Why don't you show what you've tried to execute and the result you've
got? A session log can tell more than a hundred words.

Failed the same way there.

Failed how?

Does not create repository, creates error messages.

All I want to know is if it works for anyone, if not I can just throw it
in bugzilla. Since it works in FC[678] I assume it's a release issue,
since the calling syntax is unchanged.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Todd Zullinger 08-04-2008 08:47 PM

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Does not create repository, creates error messages.

Saying what command you ran and what error you got would help though.

> All I want to know is if it works for anyone, if not I can just
> throw it in bugzilla. Since it works in FC[678] I assume it's a
> release issue, since the calling syntax is unchanged.

It works here, using a very basic "createrepo ." command. I haven't
used createrepo heavily on F9, since my personal repos are hosted on
CentOS 5 boxes.

Timothy Selivanow 08-04-2008 08:51 PM

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 16:39 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> All I want to know is if it works for anyone, if not I can just throw it
> in bugzilla. Since it works in FC[678] I assume it's a release issue,
> since the calling syntax is unchanged.

$ createrepo ./createrepo-test/
4/4 -
bind-utils-9.2.4-28.el4.i386.rpm
Saving Primary metadata
Saving file lists metadata
Saving other metadata
$ ls ./createrepo-test/repodata/
filelists.xml.gz other.xml.gz primary.xml.gz repomd.xml

I used random RPMs that I had laying around in my home dir. So as you
can see it works, and I'm sure someone would be able to help you if you
posted the errors...

--Tim

Bruno Wolff III 08-12-2008 08:27 PM

Creating a local repository

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 22:07:49 -0400,
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> However, I know that someday I will get the "command line too long"
> message, and decided to create a repository. And it looks as if the

While you might still want to do this, you probably won't be getting
the command line too long message as that kernel limitation was fixed
about a year ago. The space is still on the stack or heap, so there is
a limit. But it's much larger now. And you can increase it if you need to.