Old 08-03-2008, 09:16 PM
"dump"

Default Fedora core 9 frezzes up after 2 or 3 hours

Hello guys,

*

I’m new to this list, and I hope this is the right list to
post this issue.

*

Yesterday I upgraded my server from FC5 to FC9 without any
problems. I was running FC5 for over a year without any problems, but because of
the End of support, I thought lets upgrade it again. After the upgrade
everything was working ok again, little bit jibling in the config files to get
some deamons up and running again, but everything was up again.

*

So after a good couple of hours (I upgraded with yum) of
this upgrade I went to bed. In the morning (3 hours later after the upgrade) I
found out that my box was not responding anymore, I went to the console and
could input my user:root and password but then no prompt and no logon.

*

After a reboot (reset switch) I looked into the message file
and found nothing. So I watched my system the following 2,5 hours and yes bam
again it just froze on me, and again I couldn’t logon to the console anymore.

*

In the past I had similar problems with this and that was
because of power save (acpi) so I looked at the boot parameters, an there were
still saying “ide0=dma ide1=dma pci=noacpi idebus=66”. To be sure everything
would be off on power save I changed this line to “ide0=dma ide1=dma idebus=66
pci=noacpi noacpi acpi=off apm=off”* (I know overkill) but still 2,5 hour
later bam it froze again.

*

The only thing I can think off at this moment is that in FC5
I was using an smp kernel, maybe with the new kernel in FC9 there has been some
changes on parameters for the kernel, or I missed something why this is
happening.

*

I’m running a dual amd cpu system on a tyan tiger 760mpx
board.

Kernel version using at the moment is :
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

*

Thanks for the help.

*

Regards Quint

*

Old 08-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Russell Miller

dump wrote:

Hello guys,

I’m new to this list, and I hope this is the right list to post this
issue.

My guess is a video driver crash. Try seeing if it freezes without X
running. Even if it does, there's a chance you might get some useful
diagnostics out of it.

Also, try making sure /proc/sys/kernel/panic_on_oops (or its equivalent,
it seems to have been changed in recent kernels) is set, and kernel
crash dumping is on. If the kernel actually crashes, then a dump will be
saved in swap and you might actually be able to figure out what's going on.

--Russell